• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor Submariner with Rolex 1680 or 5513 Gen Case

KK2023

Looking Around
11/2/23
UAE
Hi there, very much a new poster here although I've been educating myself from your good-selves over the last few months. I've built a few Tudor Submariners for myself and immediate family (the 9411 and 76100) and have been trying to source as many gen parts as possible. So far, I've got to a point where all but the case and case-back are either from Phong or MQ. Both case makers are excellent at what they do but there's some sentiment behind trying to put everything together into a genuine part set. Sourcing an original 9411 / 76100 / 79090 case seems to be all but impossible and where there may be a case, it goes into thousands of dollars.

Which led me to another avenue of thought - given that the Rolex 1680 and to some extent 5513 are very similar (if not the same) as the case of the 76100 or 79090, I was exploring the possibility of sourcing a gen 1680 or 5513 to be my 'oyster' for a Tudor gen movement (likely an ETA 2784 or 2484). My question to you folks is, are the 1680 or 5513 cases the same as either a Tudor 9411 or 79090 case? This then allows me to think about using gen Rolex parts in addition to the case (such as a bezel insert, bezel etc.), all of which seem to be more accessible compared to authentic Tudor parts.

To dispel some concerns - it's something I 'want' to make, rather than just buying a genuine watch (I'm planning on making this one for my brother, so there's a lot of feeling being put into the act of making it rather than simply buying it).

Thoughts from you guys welcomed. If the answer is a yes, I guess the most pressing next question would be where would I find a movement spacer to fit into the case? How would I go about the process?

Finally, a massive thank you to you guys for all the streams of knowledge thus far - it's helped me put together 3 watches already, all of which are now extremely precious and valuable to me and my loved ones. Much appreciated.

Reactions: jp3007_1

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
eboy-ralph.gif

Hello and welcome to RWI!

You found the right place!

If you haven't already, please take some time to read the sticky threads in the new members area (in all subsections), as they contain lots of information for newcomers and, most importantly, our forum rules which you need to know, and of course ideally to follow, to get the best out of your experience on RWI!

A good starting point is this list of links to the most important RWI resources:

Also this please read this important sticky:

If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact me or @Feefo during your time as a newbie. That's what we are here for!

Reactions: Feefo

Feefo

More hoarding, less regrets.
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Hi, welcome to RWI!
You know what, you don't need to post in the flame free zone, you're a knowledgeable guy who's done his fair share of reading. I'll shift the thread into the tech section where it will have more visibility from the guys who will have the answers.
Good luck in your endeavor.

Reactions: jp3007_1

KK2023

Looking Around
11/2/23
UAE
Hi, welcome to RWI!
You know what, you don't need to post in the flame free zone, you're a knowledgeable guy who's done his fair share of reading. I'll shift the thread into the tech section where it will have more visibility from the guys who will have the answers.
Good luck in your endeavor.
Thank you very much!