• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor Black Bay 58 Replica ZF Factory

minghli

Horology Curious
1/4/23
Belgium
Hi Everyone

Looking to order my first Rep.

It will be the Tudor Black Bay 58. But not sure if I should go for the Swiss or Asian movement.
Anyone have both or should I just go for the Asian movement?
Price different is quite big. €180 for the Asian movement and €400 for the Swiss rep movement.
Swiss movement: ETA 2824-2
Asian movement: Shanghai movement (not sure which one it is)

Also, if you recommend any sellers/website to buy from, let me know!

Thank you in advance.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
The Asian Movement is actually a Seagull ST2500. A 1:1 clone of the 2824. There's no difference in functionality.

You can always buy a Sellita or ETA movement and upgrade it with a watchmaker. SW200's are swiss made and relatively more affordable than an ETA, yet it's the same movement.

Seller wise, do your research on that. It's your money and the decision should be entirely yours on regards to trusting people with your money.

Reactions: Blackieray

minghli

Horology Curious
1/4/23
Belgium
The Asian Movement is actually a Seagull ST2500. A 1:1 clone of the 2824. There's no difference in functionality.

You can always buy a Sellita or ETA movement and upgrade it with a watchmaker. SW200's are swiss made and relatively more affordable than an ETA, yet it's the same movement.

Seller wise, do your research on that. It's your money and the decision should be entirely yours on regards to trusting people with your money.
Thank you for your answer!
Would you say to save the money on the movement and upgrade later if it would break?
Because the Swiss movement can be bought way cheaper.

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Supporter
Certified
16/4/22
Yea i'd save the money up front. I had the caseback off mine tonight and it's a completely nicely finished seagull movement in there that can be regulated to run nicely. Save your money and then if you fall in love with it and feel the need to go Swiss it's a simple swap at any time in the future. But more than likely it will run without issue as is to standards your happy with.

restandrelaxation

Certified
2/3/23
Northern Ireland
Do you mind if I ask where the Asian movement version is available for €180?
I'm doing an initial comparison on a cheap DHgate rep, a good rep and a gen, I think it'd be nice to have a middle of the road version to add to the comparison.

restandrelaxation

Certified
2/3/23
Northern Ireland

Hi, I may have gotten my wires crossed here but is the OP saying there's a zf black bay with Asian movement available somewhere for under $200?

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Hi, I may have gotten my wires crossed here but is the OP saying there's a zf black bay with Asian movement available somewhere for under $200?
No clue about that. I don't price track.

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Supporter
Certified
16/4/22
Yea sounds low. I'm not aware of the ZF BB58 for less than ~280.00 USD. Prices tend to range 280-320 depending on TD.

minghli

Horology Curious
1/4/23
Belgium
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, I'm hoping the OP can come back and help out with this.
My bad, Asian movement is not from ZF so I would expect that the quality will also not be on par with ZF. It's a seller on Aliexpress who also offered me coupons codes so that made the price drop from €232 to around €180.

Reactions: restandrelaxation

restandrelaxation

Certified
2/3/23
Northern Ireland
My bad, Asian movement is not from ZF so I would expect that the quality will also not be on par with ZF. It's a seller on Aliexpress who also offered me coupons codes so that made the price drop from €232 to around €180.
Ahh that makes more sense. Do you have a link to the AliExpress add? I've found one on DHgate for £80 it's possibly the same one.
I've ordered the dhgate one, my intention is to try it on and see if I like the look, if I do I'm ordering both the gen and the zf. Gen to put in collection, zf to wear. I'd have taken a punt on a cheap zf if there had been one.

This is a pic of the DHgate one, I don't expect much from it. But for £80 to get an idea of the look can you go wrong? We shall see!🤣🤣

Last edited:

minghli

Horology Curious
1/4/23
Belgium
Ahh that makes more sense. Do you have a link to the AliExpress add? I've found one on DHgate for £80 it's possibly the same one.
I've ordered the dhgate one, my intention is to try it on and see if I like the look, if I do I'm ordering both the gen and the zf. Gen to put in collection, zf to wear. I'd have taken a punt on a cheap zf if there had been one.

This is a pic of the DHgate one, I don't expect much from it. But for £80 to get an idea of the look can you go wrong? We shall see!🤣🤣

Sure!