• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

tudor 79090 build

geekedup

Timshel
Supporter
Certified
15/4/23
los angeles
Update on the build guys. So unfortunately I wasn’t confident on how the insert fit the bezel after the shaving. When I applied pressure in one certain spot the insert would pop out easily. I ordered a Clark 5513 bezel kit. The insert fit perfectly and secure right away with very little effort.. however it was a struggle to get the bezel ring to fit the case and acrylic . And then the actual bezel itself was a bit difficult to get on the bezel ring. I got it all going but unfortunately the bezel is so snug it doesn’t move in any direction. I can score the bezel off with my watch knife . But I’m really not sure how I’m going to get the bezel ring off cus it’s really on there.

Last edited:

geekedup

Timshel
Supporter
Certified
15/4/23
los angeles
I might just wear the watch with the bezel as is because i don’t really care to use the bezel as a timer. unless their is a simple solution to get it moving. I just hope I lined up the date magnification up well or that will be timely to fix. At least I can be confident wearing it in the water because I really don’t see water getting in it with how tight the fit is.

est4129

Supporter
15/9/18
I had the same problems with the Clarks bezel and did a write up of how I got them to fit. Also in some cases the top surface needs to be lowered, if you have access to a lathe this can be done easily if not a file or dremel can be used.

Reactions: geekedup

Prinze20

Known Member
Patron
Certified
22/6/22
Belgium
How does it work without the spacer? Did you tried that?
Clark also sell a 25-144 crystal so maybe both components will fit better.

Solutions:

Does it turns without the washer, sand or polish the washers.

Or

Remove the retaining ring en polish the inside with a dremel, not to much so you can release some tention off the ring.
Only do this if you are planning to keep the crystal you are using!

Last edited:

Singapore9

Patron
9/8/10
Does the bezel look a little bent at the 7/8 hour marker or is it camera distortion?

This can happen with Clarks. If the plexi is nice and snug, I'd sand the inside of the bezel ring a touch and perhaps thin it a bit (can rub on sandpaper, on a flat surface) so you can use the spring washer, which is a bit more important for these as they don't have the click spring.

How you get it off... not sure! You'll need to apply pressure at one end (say 12 pip) and lever it from the 6 lugs side, I'd say. You might need some brute force but shouldn't damage it as it'll go quick, once it goes. Don't rush as you don't want to scratch the insert or plexi. Just protect the lugs you're levering from.

Prinze20

Known Member
Patron
Certified
22/6/22
Belgium
Looking at your pictures, there not right.
The retaining ring is not fully seated so you can remove it easy!
The first picture looks like a bended bezel ring?

geekedup

Timshel
Supporter
Certified
15/4/23
los angeles
@Singapore9 Took a hiatus due to work but I started again today. I was having a struggle getting the insert out to sand the bezel ring so i decided to sand down around the xtal. This was a kind of a mistake though because the sides of the xtal show once the bezel is set. It looks a bit frosted on the sides but I’m hoping a polish will help it be more transparent since it’s acrylic. But on a good note the bezel is moving very nicely in both directions. I’ve never held a gen of this model but when I received the vietname case and xtal the bezel moved loosely with little resistance which i didn’t like. I also received the Italian bracelet, and a yuki dial which is very nice addition to this project .