• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

tudor 79090 build

geekedup

Timshel
Supporter
Certified
15/4/23
los angeles
Started this project back in april. ive spent a lot into this project, and haven't completed it yet. Here's what im running:
viet case, gen insert, swiss 2824 eta, viet dial, WO blank bracelet, also just ordered a old rolex rivet replica bracelet that was a bit pricey but had good ebay reviews.
upgraded acrylic from italy that i found on ebay (much much nicer than the one that came with the viet case.)

Was wondering if anyone else has completed this build and has found another bezel that will fit to the viet case and also fit the gen insert. Even though ive read that the viet bezel is gen spec i really dont think im going to fit the gen insert into the bezel. The insert seems to big IMO. If any watch maker or modder on this forum that is based in US willing to put my build together and possibly give the gen insert a shot for a fair price please pm me. thanks.

Prinze20

Known Member
Patron
Certified
22/6/22
Belgium
I love These Tudor builds, where did you got the case from?
You can shrink or expand the insert just by using a wine bottle.

Show us some pictures 😉

Singapore9

Patron
9/8/10
Need pics... but the Clark 5513 bezel should work, if the crystal ring is the same as 9411, which I think it is.

Reactions: geekedup

geekedup

Timshel
Supporter
Certified
15/4/23
los angeles
When I pop the insert in on one side it pops out on the other side . Another user recommended using soap unfortunately that didn’t really work. The insert that came with the Vietnam case set pops in very easily without to much effort.

Last edited:

Singapore9

Patron
9/8/10
Popping out is probably a good sign the insert is going to be a tight fit. My GEN blue Tudor insert took a hell of a lot of manipulating to get in the GEN bezel, let alone a rep. Definitely give that bezel ring a bath. I'd probably take the acetone and toothbrush approach or warm soapy water. You may want to try the wine bottle trick a bit, gently bending the insert so it's more curved, uniformly. Be very gentle though as that's a pricey insert you have! Then get the pip end in the bezel and get something wider than your thumbs, put a rag over the bezel and on a flat surface, keep the pip end in with your finger and roll something over the cloth and bezel so you get a wider contact patch. Not explaining this very well, sorry! But you basically want to hit the insert with something with more contact area, being careful not to damage it of course. Holding the pip in and just having a thumb patch at the other end will allow it to expand out the sides. basically need to hold as much in as you can at one end and then hit the other 'half' with uniform pressure.

Winni1611

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
15/10/22
Germany
I have sanded some inserts down to make them fit and it always was an easy going, without damaging the insert.
Put it on a bottle neck, until it sits flush and then slowly walk around it with about 400 grit.

Singapore9

Patron
9/8/10
It's the OP's choice but sanding a GEN Tudor Sub insert fills me with dread. I have a GEN, mint, black 5513 service insert, with pip, that measures small on the OD and doesn't snap into a GEN bezel that should work. OP, can you get your inserts in some calipers and check their ODs?

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
I bought a Vietnam 79090 case set before and the bezel doesn't take gen spec insert. You can consider trying to source 5513/1680 bezel assemblies and hopefully they fit gen inserts better. I also do not recommend sanding down the gen tudor insert because that is a rare part.

geekedup

Timshel
Supporter
Certified
15/4/23
los angeles
I bought a Vietnam 79090 case set before and the bezel doesn't take gen spec insert. You can consider trying to source 5513/1680 bezel assemblies and hopefully they fit gen inserts better. I also do not recommend sanding down the gen tudor insert because that is a rare part.
yes i will go this route. Do you know if the 1680 will fit onto the case without problems?
also i did find some precision needle files that i have, and was considering filing the inside of the bezel to create more room, but i don't think the insert would stay in place securely without glue or adhesive even if i did get the insert to fit in. My best option is testing the 1680 assemblies.

est4129

Supporter
15/9/18
I would get another bezel assembly. I have used clarks on several of mine and although they need some tweaking sometimes a insert will snap in and stay.

est4129

Supporter
15/9/18
Adding - that looks like a bivintage bezel assembly. I would replace it.

Singapore9

Patron
9/8/10
Yeah, 5513 and 1680 are the same and I am another who would vouch for Clarks over pretty much anyone else. You can also get brand new (5513/1680) GEN assemblies still, if you're willing to spend the money. I got a GEN blistered crystal ring recently and the same seller has a blistered bezel (with insert). I see you're in the US, else I'd send you my small on the OD 5513 insert to try as that would be the quickest/easiest route to GEN. I also got a couple of GEN bezels (the jury is out on one) from M2M on here, so worth putting a 'wanted' ad up in the right section and waiting, before you attempt to file/sand anything.

geekedup

Timshel
Supporter
Certified
15/4/23
los angeles
UPDATE
I finally got the insert to fit. It seems like it’s snug and secure. I will be testing to make sure that the insert will not come out.
I used some cheap precision files to shave off a bit of metal in the bezel to allow the insert to fit. I’m no expert by any means and very new to this. But I’m happy the insert is fitting. I just hope it’s secure and won’t fall out. I will update this once I get everything put together. Just waiting for my Italian bracelet I just ordered and this will be a great build. Thanks everyone for the input.