• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

To be a true replica collector...

fendushi

Known Member
12/7/06
To be a true replica collector... you will NEED to accept:

NO replica is 1:1... EVER in the entire history of replica manufacturing!!

They cost less for a reason, replica manufacturers use lower quality materials (steel, titanium, gold plating... etc) and also much lower quality control and craftsmanship.

Sure, some replicas look VERY close to the genuine, but in terms of exact 1:1 cosmetics or quality of materials, no such replica exist.

Another fact: NOT every replica that you purchase will be 100% scratch or dust free inside the crystal when you take it out of the box like on your genuines. WHY?? = Massed produced + low cost + limited minimum resources.

If you are someone that demands a watch to be sent back to China because of a 0.1 micron scratch under the letter "E" of OFFICINE on the movement.... or, send the watch back demanding a replacement because you can see a speck of dust inside the crystal with your hubble 1,000,000,000,000,000x microscope.... or demanding a refund or report to PayPal because your replica is not true 1:1 when compared to genuine... then this hobby is not for you. Stick to buying genuine, they have warranty plus some will replace bracelets, straps or other parts for free under warranty. And YES, they will definitely last for more than a year.

If you want to buy just 1 (ONE) "ULTIMATE, SUPER DUPER 1:1 replica INSERT WATCH HERE"... because you believe that it is the HOLY MOLLY GRAIL of reps.... 2 things can happen:

1. You WILL be disappointed when you find out your ULTIMATE, SUPER DUPER 1:1 replica that you paid 345usd for is not so ultimate super duper 1:1. You will be angry and bitter about it, report seller to paypal, cops, your mum, etc and never buy a replica again.

2. You WILL be disappointed when you find out your ULTIMATE, SUPER DUPER 1:1 replica is not so ultimate super duper 1:1. But, you will be quite amazed on how close it is and feel the love and passion of other members here because they are oh, so close, and share the urge of owning another.... and another... and another... and another... and another... and another... and another... and another... and another... and another... and another... and another............... until you are BROKE!!!! :lolcina:

Once you accept these FACTS and are willing to play the customs roulette and could live with the imperfections in replicas (cosmetics, scratches when new due to poor handling etc).... you will become a true Jedi Warrior.... I mean, a true Replica Collector.

:lol:

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
lol... cute post. I am personally am less concerned with 1:1 perfection than I am with watches that work. I won't get pissed off over design of a rep... i'll know all the details in advance. I will not be happy if the movement is dead on arrival or the chrono function in my 7750 blows up out of the box or the chrono hand comes out of the box not point dead center to 12. :) That's where my standards are these days!!

If you really want top notch quality and reliability, stick to tried and true movements and do your homework. If you do your due diligence, you can land an outstanding watch (not just rep, but a legitimately good watch) for very little coin. :)

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
To be a true replica collector... you will NEED to accept:

NO replica is 1:1... EVER in the entire history of replica manufacturing!!

They cost less for a reason, replica manufacturers use lower quality materials (steel, titanium, gold plating... etc) and also much lower quality control and craftsmanship.

Sure, some replicas look VERY close to the genuine, but in terms of exact 1:1 cosmetics or quality of materials, no such replica exist.

Another fact: NOT every replica that you purchase will be 100% scratch or dust free inside the crystal when you take it out of the box like on your genuines. WHY?? = Massed produced + low cost + limited minimum resources.

If you are someone that demands a watch to be sent back to China because of a 0.1 micron scratch under the letter "E" of OFFICINE on the movement.... or, send the watch back demanding a replacement because you can see a speck of dust inside the crystal with your hubble 1,000,000,000,000,000x microscope.... or demanding a refund or report to PayPal because your replica is not true 1:1 when compared to genuine... then this hobby is not for you. Stick to buying genuine, they have warranty plus some will replace bracelets, straps or other parts for free under warranty. And YES, they will definitely last for more than a year.

If you want to buy just 1 (ONE) "ULTIMATE, SUPER DUPER 1:1 replica INSERT WATCH HERE"... because you believe that it is the HOLY MOLLY GRAIL of reps.... 2 things can happen:

1. You WILL be disappointed when you find out your ULTIMATE, SUPER DUPER 1:1 replica that you paid 345usd for is not so ultimate super duper 1:1. You will be angry and bitter about it, report seller to paypal, cops, your mum, etc and never buy a replica again.

2. You WILL be disappointed when you find out your ULTIMATE, SUPER DUPER 1:1 replica is not so ultimate super duper 1:1. But, you will be quite amazed on how close it is and feel the love and passion of other members here because they are oh, so close, and share the urge of owning another.... and another... and another... and another... and another... and another... and another... and another... and another... and another... and another... and another............... until you are BROKE!!!! :lolcina:

Once you accept these FACTS and are willing to play the customs roulette and could live with the imperfections in replicas (cosmetics, scratches when new due to poor handling etc).... you will become a true Jedi Warrior.... I mean, a true Replica Collector.

:picard: ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...

Showa321

Known Member
1/10/11
I think the problem with believing there are exact reps is people like me who can hardly tell the difference anyway. I have a high end DSSD which looks and feels spot on to me, but to someone else would look like an easy fake.
I think its how much we go into the rep scene too, the more we learn about the reps and what makes them different to the gens, we see the imperfections much easier which in turn get to the stage of the person who posted the topic.
I am happy with my reps at present, money stops me getting gens but when money allows me to get gens, I will get a nice Rolex Sub and call it a day.

Jkppers

Known Member
4/8/12
With the watch industrie change, to bring out new models every year latest and their at least in part outsourcing strategie ( Hublot - sourcing crystals and dials i.e.) most people without detailed knowledge will not be able to tell that the watch on your arm is rep anyway.

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
Good stuff but has been said about 1.3547 billion times here. The fact of the matter is, since the inception of rep'dom, the noob WONT READ IT. Instead he will jump in the middle of this, without reading the instructions, screw shit up and suck out my will to live by continuously whipping our asses, asking WHY, but WHY dont they X, cant a dealer do X...most eventually get it...some never do.

fendushi

Known Member
12/7/06

'Subluminor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
30/10/12
Nice post man, real nice.

I was noob-ish when I first joined, and now I am quite educated about the reps of every brand and realize faults of watches etc.

Research is KEY in this hobby, I read for hours, and talked for hours in the SB with fellow forum members.

D

d4m.test

AMEN to that! These watches are called "reps" for a reason -- despite what some sellers state in their ads of "1:1 replica." Good job!

dave

Watchnuts2

Known Member
25/7/11
I've heard that the Swiss made fakes are the best! I would not buy a Chinese made fake even when they say they are AAA.

:lol:

cattlecattle

Horology Curious
20/11/12
this is a sub
yellow-submarine.jpg

supernova

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/12/12
why are dealers "trusted" when they are in a criminal industry?

don't answer that---just ponder :)