• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Thinking of 3714 Portuguese - Seconds at 6 issues??

Patek986

28/12/06
I am contemplating purchasing the Portuguese "Blue" Laureus edition and was doing some research here at past posts. How much of a problem is the small running seconds at "6"? I heard you can have someone take out the 5 gears, but then there would be no running seconds. I have running seconds in my 21j's and there never seems to be a problem. I have many reps and would wear it about 4-6 days per month, so it wouldn't be running constantly. Just wondered if the problem is possibly overstated or not. Would love to hear feedback before I drop over $250. Thanks!

al1971

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
25/4/07
I would stay away from seconds at six.

coop

OG member in the Lou
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
St. Louis
The problem is that the seconds at six is a modification to the movement, moving them from nine. They do not have a good reliability reputation. I personally have stayed away from them, but there are a few members who have had good luck with them.

al1971

Banned
25/4/07
I would talk to Ziggy and ask him about the new movements in Portuguese.

ra-man1234

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/8/07
al1971 said:
I would talk to Ziggy and ask him about the new movements in Portuguese.

Is there a new movement in Portuguese now, or are you suggesting that Ziggy may be able to put a different movement in one?
I'm done the same research and stayed away from the Portuguese. Too many reports of issues with this watch due to the movement modifications and the stress this puts on the movement. I have had my share of issues with reps that are not supposed to have any issues, so I won't take a risk with this one! :?

al1971

Banned
25/4/07
Check with Ziggy, I read somewhere that some movements are ok if serviced.

asad

Banned
13/1/08
I have been thinking about getting one of these myself but the problem is well know and even dealers openly don't recommend the watch due to the problem alot of people have faced. after i hear back from Ziggy, i will let you all know if it is a dependable purchase and what can be done.

Francisco

23/12/07
We are investigating a solution to the extra work that the new gears is applied to the movement. The experimental solution consist of applying a lubrication based on graphite. Some dead movements seem to be alive again.

One colleague has sent me his faulty Portuguese to check it up. If it works I will post a mini tuto about this technique. And if it works I will buy a Portuguese for me and I will use it as a preventive cure.

al1971

Banned
25/4/07
Instead of getting a IWC Portuguese rep with the bad movement, take a look on flea bay for Poljot Journey. It has this IWC feeling and the movement is rock solid. I just won one for $150 shipped.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Poljot is a good watch for the money. EDIT: (It's really a shame that this watch comes with unreliable movement. Even serviced, it doesn't guarantee your watch will run smoothly.) <--- referring to second at 6 Asian 7750 hi beat.

al1971

Banned
25/4/07
Have to disagree with you on that. I have one for 1.5 years and still runs like a charm. The worst case scenario is I can take it to my homeland and it will be fixed relatively cheap. I still think the movement is much superior then the IWC rep.

al1971

Banned
25/4/07
Sorry. I thought you are talking about Poljot.

Patek986

28/12/06
Ouch. I ordered it this morning. I hope I will luck out. What exactly happens, the watch just stops working? Does something actaully break inside or is there just not enough oomph to power those gears for that subdial seconds? My friend told me he has two 7750 watches, one being a Rolex Daytona I believe he said, and has no issues with it (in over 2yrs)with the same subdial at 6.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
You need a bit of luck for this movement. I have ordered 5 Ingenieur chrono. 3 dead, 1 will stop after a couple of hours... It's very common problem.

You are right, it's dirty, unoiled, unjeweled... in other words: fault in design.

Francisco

23/12/07
Patek986 said:
Ouch. I ordered it this morning. I hope I will luck out. What exactly happens, the watch just stops working? Does something actaully break inside or is there just not enough oomph to power those gears for that subdial seconds? My friend told me he has two 7750 watches, one being a Rolex Daytona I believe he said, and has no issues with it (in over 2yrs)with the same subdial at 6.

It is a question of variability of tolerances. Some set of gears has less friction and the power to rotate them is not so high. Another set is more problematic. On the other hand, they are not applying any kind of lubrication, because a lubricated gear needs more power to rotate. But we think that lubricating with graphite is the solution.

Patek986

28/12/06
If it is serviced at a watchsmith would him cleaning that area and oiling it produce less friction and limit the risk of this happening (say after it goes faulty the first time). If he would take out those gears, then the second hand subdial wouldn't work, but the rest of the watch would, correct? Worse case senario.
Thanks.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Yes, that would be possible.

Worst case scenario is when you get this watch dead on arrival :lol: Better not, yeah. Good luck and please post pics when it arrives. Thanks.

Francisco

23/12/07
Just to inform you that I have finished the graphite lubrication method, and the dead portuguese is alive again.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

If it runs for many days I will post a tutorial of how to do it.