• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Theory: Rolex Serial Number encoded in crystal Laser Etched Crown (LEC)

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Rolex no longer use the S crystal for replacements. They haven’t for a few years.

I’m pretty sure the LECs are the same for every crystal - they don’t have the height of the dots positioned on a watch by watch basis.

How would anyone read that anyway?

It would be easier to put a serial on the back of the hands, clasp, dial, movement, anywhere else than some Illuminati nonsense hidden in the LEC.

Reactions: dogwood

kidcreole

Supporter
Certified
27/7/13
Next step will be rfid embedded in the case and movement holding digital key material with a block chain back end as the ledger. I don't think they would piss around with a crystal that is a fraction of the overall cost/authenticity of the watch.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Doubtful. RFID’s are easily cloned and I doubt people want chips in their Rolex anyway.

kidcreole

Supporter
Certified
27/7/13
Doubtful. RFID’s are easily cloned and I doubt people want chips in their Rolex anyway.
RFID generically but NFC. Something you could scan with your mobile to prove authenticity on demand. It isn't a chip and it isn't battery operated. It is a transmitter that is energised by the field coming from the phone.

kidcreole

Supporter
Certified
27/7/13
NFC once energised will give the unique ID of the watch. It could even provide ownership from the blockchain depending on confidentiality parameters.

Reactions: trailboss99

innocenti

Renowned Member
16/8/16
The S is for SERVICE xtal

and no , the dots are burned by laser at different heights , so if you hold them at an angle they dont look straight

Had a crystal replacement at RSC during service in 2019 and no S on mine. Is this a recent thing?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
What’s the point of encoding the serial number of a watch in an easily removed part?

What a stupid thread.

• Haha
Reactions: Storm.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
13/3/16
Rolex uses this microdot system to communicate secret messages. At least that's what the voices in my head tell me.

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Certified
14/2/20
What’s the point of encoding the serial number of a watch in an easily removed part?

What a stupid thread.
Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

klockjohan

El Patron
5/12/15
EU
Isotope labeling is common to ensure authenticity. However, I don't know if it is used in the watch industry.

Seadwellermike

Proud RWI Supporter
Banned
Certified
Agreed, it’s probably just my normal level of paranoia… but it raises the question of why would Rolex put an S on the crystals that get installed during a service?

Why go to the effort of having two crystal supply chains: one for originally installed crystals, and one for those installed during a service. That seems unlikely to have happened by accident, so why is Rolex making the effort to distinguish an originally installed crystal from one replaced during a service?

One explanation is that the original crystal is somehow marked with the encoded serial number of the watch… similar to how a vehicle’s VIN is marked in three places on a car: on the engine block, on the driver side door well, and under the windshield.

But obviously there could be another explanation. I’d love to know why there are S and non-S Rolex crystals. And if the LEC is simply an ornamental detail, why bother having S and non-S?
Easy, because it’s NOT the crystal that came on the watch, thus no longer unmodified etc. They want to say “hey, we changed something, this is not original”

That’s all.

Sumo86

8/1/23
Uk
Great camera to pick up the dots 👍🏽 I need a better camera!

In the sunshine it's so nice to see an LEC on a rep. Just an added layer of "is it gen...?" when my mates ask coz they're all tight