• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Ultimate Daytona Buying Guide (Ref. 116520/116500)

mytux

Known Member
13/2/20
Belgium, EU
Amazing post i keep coming back to this atleast once a week lol. Im currently on a franken/super franken 116520 build. Took alot of advice from your post.

Noob 4130 base
Gen bezel
Gen dial 'APH'
Gen hands
Gen sapphire and gasket (ready to order)
ARF bracelet
Gen 704 crown (ready to order)

Polishing, thinning and reshaping along with a service and i think i have a great piece. Unsure what to do with clasp though. Dont think my gen additions will end there, expensive hobby this lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

are you sure the Gen hands will fit ?
if I remember correctly (but maybe I'm wrong) we need to change the hour wheel, minute wheel etc to have the gen hands fit.
I'm wrong ?
If I'm wrong, then it's all good : I wanted to place gen hands as well on my noob v3 :)

Journeyman

Renowned Member
Certified
1/6/14
Good point this im wondering the same thing. Did you get any feedback on this?

Sent from the RWI App

No, nothing as yet. Because I’ve got both the Noob and ARF to hand, I’ve got a comparison. Just wondered whether anyone else felt that the ARF pushers were better quality.

MrWatch71

Looking Around
12/9/19
More QC pictures
bd86e18aeecbbe370763b7b70c365816.jpg

41f4d393309d47a5c57dce0173cffe39.jpg

a790c15808c408cf46ab041e3198b7ec.jpg

Waiting for the watch. My knowledge was that the previous version the pusher were longer ...
As soon as I get the watch I will take more pictures to compare

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Salihtrtr

Looking Around
10/5/15
Can I ask Some question How to remove case tube?
can I open caseback then remove crown then rotate with case tube opener? Or must remove cal 4130 before rotate case tube?

Journeyman

Renowned Member
Certified
1/6/14
Can I ask Some question How to remove case tube?
can I open caseback then remove crown then rotate with case tube opener? Or must remove cal 4130 before rotate case tube?

For any work on the exterior of the case, you'd want to remove as much as you can from the case, you don't want any swarf or crud dropping into the movement.

Reactions: APpee

APpee

22/4/20
London, UK
are you sure the Gen hands will fit ?
if I remember correctly (but maybe I'm wrong) we need to change the hour wheel, minute wheel etc to have the gen hands fit.
I'm wrong ?
If I'm wrong, then it's all good : I wanted to place gen hands as well on my noob v3 :)

Im certainly not sure no. Lol

Sent from the RWI App

Journeyman

Renowned Member
Certified
1/6/14
The problem is where do you stop with these watches. The hands on both the Noob and the ARF are horrible, the black paint on the pinion ends of the hands is really rough.

Journeyman

Renowned Member
Certified
1/6/14
If anyone has a new good ARF Panda dial they want to sell as well, please drop me a PM.

I’ve tried WTB but no luck, any sale would have to be in line with forum guidelines.

Journeyman

Renowned Member
Certified
1/6/14
If anyone has a new good ARF Panda dial they want to sell as well, please drop me a PM.

I’ve tried WTB but no luck, any sale would have to be in line with forum guidelines.

Journeyman

Renowned Member
Certified
1/6/14

APpee

22/4/20
London, UK
The problem is where do you stop with these watches. The hands on both the Noob and the ARF are horrible, the black paint on the pinion ends of the hands is really rough.

True. We are all trying to achieve that gen look, but its an endless rabbit hole hard to be satisfied. Having had gens in the past im the 'just one more mod' kind of guy

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: Luvwatch

nzkieran

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/6/20
True. We are all trying to achieve that gen look, but its an endless rabbit hole hard to be satisfied. Having had gens in the past im the 'just one more mod' kind of guy

Sent from the RWI App

will there ever be the perfect gen looking clone!? haa

Noobguy

8/11/18
United Kingdom
Hey guys, didn’t want to make a new thread but I have a quick question regarding Arf daytonas. Is the misaligned dial still a problem? I’ve seen a lot of QC’s for their v2 daytonas recently and they haven’t been that bad.

My question is, have the misaligned dials been officially resolved or is this just a good batch that have avoided a known issue?

Thanks troops

newonboard

Omega&IWC
Supporter
Certified
5/5/19
EU
This is a way to save you a lot of time. I've been thinking of Daytona for a year, but I still can't decide ... Noob v3 with ARF and CF bezel parts. Almost a gen :)
Great guide, thanks. After a few months of not reading r / Rolex I know everything! Thanks!

nzkieran

17/6/20
This is a way to save you a lot of time. I've been thinking of Daytona for a year, but I still can't decide ... Noob v3 with ARF and CF bezel parts. Almost a gen :)
Great guide, thanks. After a few months of not reading r / Rolex I know everything! Thanks!

I love the Daytona, but I'm so concerned about the rep chronograph movement. I'd want that all to work as it should.

FREEWIFI

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
24/2/19
I love the Daytona, but I'm so concerned about the rep chronograph movement. I'd want that all to work as it should.

How many times in your life you use a chrono? A lot of gen owners doesn’t have no idea of the chrono functions, or the subdial functions.

Also I met some 16520 zenith owners that refuses to use the chrono because of being afraid of damaging it (And therefore pay a 1000€ RSC bill)

nzkieran

17/6/20
How many times in your life you use a chrono? A lot of gen owners doesn’t have no idea of the chrono functions, or the subdial functions.

Also I met some 16520 zenith owners that refuses to use the chrono because of being afraid of damaging it (And therefore pay a 1000€ RSC bill)

I dunno, I'd just have a little man on my shoulder telling me to use the chrono functions. It drives me nuts when watches have pretend chrono dials. For me to walk around all day with a watch, knowing it didn't function as it should, would drive me insane. Crazy huh.

Journeyman

Renowned Member
Certified
1/6/14
I dunno, I'd just have a little man on my shoulder telling me to use the chrono functions. It drives me nuts when watches have pretend chrono dials. For me to walk around all day with a watch, knowing it didn't function as it should, would drive me insane. Crazy huh.

:picard2:

Then a trip to a Rolex AD and a long wait....a very long wait will be the best way forward.

Reactions: Omega38