• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Steel Shortage - Has it Changed Your Opinion on Reps?

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Well, this is another kind of discussion, but let’s see how these Noob v10 Subs look in 20 years and compare them to a 2019 Rolex Sublariner 116610LN, ok?

I mean, that is if the noob still has the bracelet intact, or the original movement without having to have it replaced, or the crystal shattered/scratched, etc. Thinking a rep is almost as good as a high end genuine watch will only fool yourself, man...

GrandmasterChime

Agent Provocateur
Supporter
Certified
6/1/19
New Zealand
Well, this is another kind of discussion, but let’s see how these Noob v10 Subs look in 20 years and compare them to a 2019 Rolex Sublariner 116610LN, ok?

I mean, that is if the noob still has the bracelet intact, or the original movement without having to have it replaced, or the crystal shattered/scratched, etc. Thinking a rep is almost as good as a high end genuine watch will only fool yourself, man...

So no repairs, replacements, issues with genuine? I think it's a machine it can break. The whole made in Switzerland as a opposed to made in china thing is horseshit. The differences lie in the fact that they are illicit goods that are made in dodgy factories. China can manufacture to swiss standards. Remember when goods from Japan were dubbed japcrap. South korean goods were considered rubbish. The reality is lots of your gen components are made in asia shipped to Switzerlandand assembled there. When the quality matches which It doesnt yet then you are choosing gen because of marketing and feelings.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17

True. Most reps end up in the trash after a few years - a gen is going to be proudly worn on the wrist of our kids 30 years from now.

In rep world in 30 years time folks will be still be sharing what the best colour to paint their bezel is and asking smoke if they should like their watch.

Reactions: Hinclimincli

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA

Well I would argue that those who think that "gens" - and yes I am using the quotation marks on purpose- are somehow magically exempt from shattered crystals, worn out straps, poorly running movements, weathered dials, busted cases, are the ones fooling themselves.

Have a look on ebay. How many "gen" Rolexes, Omegas, let alone Hamiltons, Elgins, and other domestic brands like Pontiacs that are 30 or 40 years old are still with their original movements in tip top shape running condition, straps that have not stretched and worn, crystals that are not scratched to a haze, dials that have not weathered or are even water damaged, oxidized hands, etc, etc, all that stuff that happens to a watch when you use it what it is for, which is to strap it on your wrist so you can catch the bus on time.

The only well preserved "gens" are the ones that owners put in a drawer when the quartz revolution occurred and people figured out that they could have a watch that tells time super precisely and you don't have to wind it every day. Or had a very minor defect and peeps just did not bother. Or they got bored of the colour or their wife bought them something else for ttheir anniversary so that got worn instead. Or one that has been meticuloulsy maintained, been brought to the watch maker for a service every 5 years-which causes its own problems for the collector. A Rolex that has been worn every day after having been bought at the PX in Da Nang in 1968 and has been continuously worn since then will have had new crystals, dials, hands, and probably movement parts, and probably had its case "polished" down by about a third of its original volume. And is therefore pretty worthless for a collector.

Same with an Opel Kadett purchased in 1971 and has been used for the grocery and the school runs and the yearly trip to Torremolinos. That thing ain't around no more.

You put that Noob in a drawer and wear your Casio instead and in 20 years all it needs is a drop of oil and she'll be ready to rock!

Last edited:

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
This reminds me of the DeBeers diamond argument, that mined diamonds are FAR superior to lab diamonds and that diamonds are a girl's best friend. You are not a man if you cannot buy your girl a REAL diamond.

In relation to watches, I presume that gens are thought to be worth passing on to the next generation and not reps because reps would never last more than a year, or that they have no inherent value. I've read stories here of old school reps lasting more than a decade. With technology continuing to improve, I have no doubt that we will get better and more reliable watches that would last for decades.

No machine is safe from the sands of time. AD's will urge you to come in every 2 years and then 5 years and so on because they know luxury watches are a niche market and mechanical watches make profit from constant servicing. People who don't know better have their watch serviced for hundreds of dollars over and over again for the smallest issue.

Yes, reps can be defective and not to the standard of gens, but with a good service and proper care I think they are very capable tools that bring joy to so many people, and save countless amounts of money in the long run.

It's all subjective in the end. One is made in China, another has a swiss made label and hundreds of millions in marketing.

Love this community and love the conversation. I'm glad we can learn from each other and our different perspectives :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Circarama

Supporter
Certified
21/6/18
Sunny California
You can buy 18-20 V10 Subs for the cost of one gen Sub. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that with the same care and maintenance one would put into a gen, those 18-20 reps will last much, much longer than one gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Sure, all your arguments are well founded and really true. The sheer amount of impeccable Noob v3 Submariners on sale in m2m clearly proves that...

jb3md

Renowned Member
11/8/19
When I finally started making some money and looking into mechanical watches, I was blown away that for $7500 I could get a no date sub -except I couldn’t because rolex decided not to make enough. A true example of the luxury hobby this is - even the watch companies don’t care about money!

But once I learned about reps and RWI I love the ability to build a dream collection for a few thousand bucks - watches they have similar mechanical chops, the same design aesthetic and much of the same wrist feel. In a way I’m thankful for the steel shortage because it pushed me to discover the rep world, which probably saved me several thousand bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18

Can't compare a $500 watch to a $8000 watch, Personally I think if it lasts as long as my $200 seiko it's a win. Also even on the r forums there are a lot of fake bracelets being sold from noob/ arf if that says anything about the quality

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
When I finally started making some money and looking into mechanical watches, I was blown away that for $7500 I could get a no date sub -except I couldn’t because rolex decided not to make enough. A true example of the luxury hobby this is - even the watch companies don’t care about money!

But once I learned about reps and RWI I love the ability to build a dream collection for a few thousand bucks - watches they have similar mechanical chops, the same design aesthetic and much of the same wrist feel. In a way I’m thankful for the steel shortage because it pushed me to discover the rep world, which probably saved me several thousand bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Same situation. Bought a gen date just because a person I looked up to had one, I can't even wear it without worrying about messing something up since it was so expensive, with reps who cares if you damage the crystal or bezel, only $100 or so to replace.

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
Can't compare a $500 watch to a $8000 watch, Personally I think if it lasts as long as my $200 seiko it's a win. Also even on the r forums there are a lot of fake bracelets being sold from noob/ arf if that says anything about the quality
Why can't you compare a $500 watch to a $8000 watch? There is absolutely no reason to assume that a $500 watch - or a $50 watch for that matter- will not be able to tell time as well as a $8k watch 30 years from now provided it is maintained and repaired properly over time.
I peeviously collected Soviet watches and have a couple of hundred Russian watches from as far back as the thirties all the way up to the noughties and most of them run fine some at COCS specs.
Yes the $8k watch will be fancier than the $500 one which will be nicer than the $50 one but they all can do the job and they all can last if you want to make them last.

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
Why can't you compare a $500 watch to a $8000 watch? There is absolutely no reason to assume that a $500 watch - or a $50 watch for that matter- will not be able to tell time as well as a $8k watch 30 years from now provided it is maintained and repaired properly over time.
I peeviously collected Soviet watches and have a couple of hundred Russian watches from as far back as the thirties all the way up to the noughties and most of them run fine some at COCS specs.
Yes the $8k watch will be fancier than the $500 one which will be nicer than the $50 one but they all can do the job and they all can last if you want to make them last.

100% true what you said, I meant in terms of fit an finish, a $500 watch is not going to have as much attention to detail as a $8000 watch but in terms of longevity like you said as long as they're cared for they should last.