• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Shaving Cream Mod - Guide

Logan86

Renowned Member
27/12/14
Shaving cream cleaning was a trick used by trainees when I was in the Army on rifles. It cleans well and gets into all of the hard to reach spots but it strips oils and as Trip said, it will dry out seals and gaskets. It works, but I wouldn't recommend prolonged use on a piece that you would like to keep.

thumbsarehandy

I'm Pretty Popular
26/4/17
Shaving cream cleaning was a trick used by trainees when I was in the Army on rifles. It cleans well and gets into all of the hard to reach spots but it strips oils and as Trip said, it will dry out seals and gaskets. It works, but I wouldn't recommend prolonged use on a piece that you would like to keep.

Very interesting info, thank you! May I ask you to help me understand what you mean by "it strips oil"?

Following all the very constructive criticism --> SC shall not be used on the watch head. However, the word is still out if SC may be successfully used on the bracelet only (the lock on my door gave my key a very hard time - my wife cried :) - I put a little SC on the key and worked it into the keyhole - now the key turns like butter)

thumbsarehandy

I'm Pretty Popular
26/4/17
Also very useful if you decide to grab a razor and give your watch a shave.

I've tried a few methods of cleaning but generally avoid over-saturating the watch with anything and follow a different approach:

- When it comes to the bezel insert, I avoid using anything that will leave residue. A mild dilution of car wash (without wax) and luke warm water on a cloth will do for the head and bracelet. I use such a mild dilution that a wet microfibre cloth is enough to 'rinse' it away.

- With rep ceramic bezel inserts, the surface of the painted engravings on the V7 insert is a dull, matt finish so it traps oil from your hands/fingers and body - this makes the bezel indeces look quite dull.
A lot of detergents and cleaners also leave residue (glycerine, etc) which has the same effect.

I've found that cleaning the bezel numbers with pure isopropyl alcohol (electrical contact cleaner) and a q-tip removes the oil very well, making the bezel engravings look much brighter. I do this every couple of days - it only takes a moment and as long as you're careful not to get the bezel greasy again, this generally helps the numbers shine out in a more gen-like fashion : )

On watches other than the rep ceramic Sub C, I generally use a product called Plexus. It's very gentle and neutral but as it contains glycerine, it doesn't quite deliver the shining bezel insert numerals I desire, hence the method above.

Many thanks for your suggestions! I had some rubbing alcohol 70% and some q-tips at hand and tried it on the head of the watch (crystal, bezel and case - ALE had confirmed that alcohol does not harm or dull SS). My wife noticed that it looked really clean and shiny, and even slightly better then before when using SC. The first thing she commented on (I hadn't told here before) were the bezel numbers being much more visible. Thanks again, great tip :)

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
I used to throw bracelets and cases into a tumble polisher, it uses small ceramic particles to polish metals like clock parts and such and uses a cleaning agent that leaves a residue that will make your ss parts look very shiny. It's not expensive to purchase and won't damage anything.

thumbsarehandy

I'm Pretty Popular
26/4/17

MonsieurMax

I'm Pretty Popular
22/10/16
Earth
À 1/2 link perhaps if you can source one.
Your watch won't sit loose and your wrist will say "thanks".

Sent from the RWI App

Haha my watch is tight on my wrist right now, thanks for offering I'll remember your the guy with half links

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logan86

Renowned Member
27/12/14
Very interesting info, thank you! May I ask you to help me understand what you mean by "it strips oil"?

Following all the very constructive criticism --> SC shall not be used on the watch head. However, the word is still out if SC may be successfully used on the bracelet only (the lock on my door gave my key a very hard time - my wife cried :) - I put a little SC on the key and worked it into the keyhole - now the key turns like butter)

Shaving cream expands in whatever area you put it in so it cleans well in those hard to reach places.

When I said it strips oils, it removes them. Metal is porous and with firearms you want the metal to have a good coat of oil to prevent rust and wear. Shaving cream draws the oil out of the metal and can damage certain finishes. I doubt it will do much to stainless but I like to be cautious.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Haha my watch is tight on my wrist right now, thanks for offering I'll remember your the guy with half links

What is so HAHA ???

images.jpg

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 1
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 0
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 0
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 1

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
Press a button and walk away. The ultrasonic will clean the dirt, grime, sweat, skin , you didn't even know was there.
13bae5d5c7e5dd8e99376306120eaaaa.jpg
342508797e84a6dffdbaf2cf61bb7150.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

MonsieurMax

I'm Pretty Popular
22/10/16
Earth
Press a button and walk away. The ultrasonic will clean the dirt, grime, sweat, skin , you didn't even know was there.

How much do one of those cost?

thumbsarehandy

I'm Pretty Popular
26/4/17

This applies to bracelets only. Concerning the watch head - are the vibrations of the ultrasonic cleaner strong enough to harm the mechanics of a watch inside?

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
This applies to bracelets only. Concerning the watch head - are the vibrations of the ultrasonic cleaner strong enough to harm the mechanics of a watch inside?
Yes, even if the head is waterproof it should not go in the tank. Also, do not put your fingers in there when it's running. I did, and they were not able to save it :(

It was worth it though cause my bracelets are very clean
62c042854f0bee7d97c5c50087588983.jpg

thumbsarehandy

I'm Pretty Popular
26/4/17
Yes, even if the head is waterproof it should not go in the tank. Also, do not put your fingers in there when it's running. I did, and they were not able to save it :(

It was worth it though cause my bracelets are very clean
62c042854f0bee7d97c5c50087588983.jpg

LOL

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I've just never seen one before and I don't think I would need one on my watch because I can micro adjust the tightness on the clasp

you can source 1/2 links ?

OK guys ... I've been too fast an now I understand your "Haha" @Max_Schiller
I had seen semi-links on gen bracelets so I supposed they would be available, at least Gen on eBay ... now I know those are like unicorns, specially two-tone stripped ones ... my bad:hehehe:

BTW ... now that I know those semi-links are NOT avalaible, if someone ever talk about them I'll try not to "haha" him but just explain the problem ...
Isn't kindly sharing knowledge one of the purposes of this forum ?
Just my 2 cents

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
OK guys ... I've been too fast an now I understand your "Haha" @Max_Schiller
I had seen semi-links on gen bracelets so I supposed they would be available, at least Gen on eBay ... now I know those are like unicorns, specially two-tone stripped ones ... my bad:hehehe:

Damn i was actually hoping you could , i had to make my own , but it was too troublesome to do it again .....

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16

Damn i was actually hoping you could , i had to make my own , but it was too troublesome to do it again .....
Sorry Dave ... I wish I could ...
To be true I've recently seen one, gold-plated, on a german forum ... 495$