• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"The Official Big Crown Club" - post your pics!

chrome72

Renowned Member
7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
I would go faded and corroded for that watch. Looks pretty good, next step would be decide if you want to push the limits of the Silix case or spring for a Viet case.

Pushing the limits of the Silix case means cutting chamfers, slimming the case down, installing an Athaya crown and tube (need to redrill the case), making a gilt dial... things like that :)

What is the difference between the Silix case and the Vietnam case? I have brasses the bezel teeth with my stove. Besides drilling bigger spring bar holes and adding a bevel to the case what else is there to do? I feel like I’m 90% there and 90% is an A!

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
What is the difference between the Silix case and the Vietnam case? I have brasses the bezel teeth with my stove. Besides drilling bigger spring bar holes and adding a bevel to the case what else is there to do? I feel like I’m 90% there and 90% is an A!

if i recall correctly the opening for the dial is the wrong size on the silix case.

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17

Honestly man, a great many things. Everything on the Viet case is gen dimensions and can have gen parts.

xgeryx

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/4/19
d5ba8da245c70a0a4325e995a80e1e76.jpg
d713d4a80b70c2b12772326d07ea531e.jpg
28da8787e677284001e6d369ff152034.jpg

Wow that is gorgeous!????

Would you mind sharing the build specs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN

The Silix, Tiger, and Helenarou cases are 40mm, so everything about them is oversized with these. They are "for fun" and can make anything from cheap budget builds to really nice project builds, but they are always paying homage to the real thing because they are oversized. The Vietnam cases, on the other hand, are built to gen specs so they are true 38mm. As previously mentioned, they accept all genuine parts, so these builds can literally become masterpiece, gen parts frankens if you are able to source the right individual parts.

Reactions: jimcon11

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Wow that is gorgeous!????

Would you mind sharing the build specs?

Thanks!

The centerpiece is , of course, the Vietnam negative relief gilt dial - a truly beautiful piece of work. JKF vintage sub midcase, heavily reworked - cg’s disappeared; lugs rebored, tapered, chamfered; rehaut slightly shaved to increase the aperture; Silix bezel, reshaped and brassed; RafflesD brevet crown and rivet bracelet. Handset is comprised of Tiger big ball seconds, minute hand from Raffles, long Mercedes hour hand is from some random German set on eBay. Athaya pearl set into a DHg insert, and a 2813 under the hood! :)

Reactions: xgeryx

jimcon11

Known Member
25/6/17
4 line 6538 from Ruby. Thanks, they are good quality dials.

Last edited:

xgeryx

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/4/19
Thanks!

The centerpiece is , of course, the Vietnam negative relief gilt dial - a truly beautiful piece of work. JKF vintage sub midcase, heavily reworked - cg’s disappeared; lugs rebored, tapered, chamfered; rehaut slightly shaved to increase the aperture; Silix bezel, reshaped and brassed; RafflesD brevet crown and rivet bracelet. Handset is comprised of Tiger big ball seconds, minute hand from Raffles, long Mercedes hour hand is from some random German set on eBay. Athaya pearl set into a DHg insert, and a 2813 under the hood! :)

Thanks! Must have been a lot of work hours on that job.

Reactions: Hor-Fan

TCBiz

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
12/7/19
NY, USA
The Silix, Tiger, and Helenarou cases are 40mm, so everything about them is oversized with these. They are "for fun" and can make anything from cheap budget builds to really nice project builds, but they are always paying homage to the real thing because they are oversized. The Vietnam cases, on the other hand, are built to gen specs so they are true 38mm. As previously mentioned, they accept all genuine parts, so these builds can literally become masterpiece, gen parts frankens if you are able to source the right individual parts.

Where can I find one of these 40MM Silix, Tiger, and/or Helenarou cases to start a vintage big crown 3-6-9 dial build? Welcome any help/advice

steve3sc

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
30/6/15
Phong Tudor 7924 Big Crown with Tropical dial, phantom long mercedes gilt handset, Faded chocolate MQ bezel insert