• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The new "40th anniversary of apollo 11" moon watch

Bugaloogle

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/1/09
Does anyone know when a rep of The Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch Apollo 11 “40th Anniversary†Limited Edition will be available?

The genuine one is going to be released in late feb/ early march...so how long before a rep? or does it exist already.

It's an awesome watch as this photo of the genuine one shows:

omega40.jpg

Some specs on the Gen:

"The black dial also recalls that of the Moon Watch with some key differences. The small seconds counter (sub-dial) has been created in the form of a small medallion which features an adaptation of Apollo 11’s famous mission patch: an eagle descends to the lunar surface with an olive branch representing peace in its claws. In the distance, far above the horizon, the earth is visible. The patch, interestingly, was designed by Michael Collins who remained in the Apollo 11 capsule as Command Module Pilot while his colleagues Armstrong and Aldrin were in the Lunar Module and on the moon.

The watch’s hour, minute and the red-tipped chronograph seconds hands are coated with Super-LumiNova. The minute and hour chronograph counter hands are white and the brushed, rhodium-plated small seconds hand offers an attractive contrast to the medallion on the counter.

Below the words “OMEGA Speedmaster PROFESSIONAL†on the dial, the legend 02:56 GMT – the exact time that Neil Armstrong made his “one small step†onto the moon – is displayed in red.

The 40th Anniversary Limited Edition’s dial is protected by Hesalite, the same robust, shatter-proof acrylic crystal found on the original Moon Watch. Hesalite was ideally suited for use in space – there was no chance that it could break apart and send potentially dangerous fragments into the low-gravity environment. A small, distinctive OMEGA logo has been etched evocatively inside the Hesalite crystal.

The Apollo 11 “Eagle†mission patch is stamped on the caseback along with the words, “THE FIRST WATCH WORN ON THE MOONâ€, the limited edition number (0000/7969), and “July 21, 1969â€, the date Armstrong and Aldrin first stepped onto the moon’s surface at 02:56, the time which is printed on the dial."

JSL

12/1/09
This watch is killer. I really like the Apollo logo on this watch. Omega did this right imo.

SpankyHam

Known Member
4/12/08
I must have the rep of this!!! I've been holding out on the moon watch and now I know why. There should be a mailing list to let me know the minute one of these gets pooped out from the cartel.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
For reasons that frankly mystify me, there hasn't been a decent rep of any Moon Watch for a few years (there used to be a pretty decent one, but they stopped making that one a while back). You would think this watch would be a natural target for the rep makers, but I've long since given up trying to understand the rationale for why one watch gets made but another does not. So to answer the OP's original question, it's certainly possible that we'll see a rep of this, but for whatever reason, the rep makers haven't really focused on making good Moon Watches prior to this.

morgi27

29/3/09
that looks sweet,i think a few people will be ordering if a rep comes out :mrgreen:

MEYER8888

Renowned Member
19/9/07
I have one on the road, of the old 50th anni, but when this one will be repped, i order one for sure, so factory you have already 1 sale :p

akinger82

22/3/09
I'm also just waiting a rep to be released of this beauty!
Have senn it just a few days ago at my local jewelry store,at a price of about 4500$.....
Dear Rep Factory,if you read this: pllllzzzzzzz release a rep of it! :wink:
I'll be the 1st to order this!

hpy540

Renowned Member
17/10/08
Thats not such a good rep...... lots of differences adn the overall just looks ....... I don't know..... Bad........??

lightningbefore

12/2/09
Yeah I heard some sketchy things about ufanta...but I thought a fair amount of people had good luck with them in the past? I don't know. I just know its there. I think the rep looks pretty ok when compared against the gen actually!

hpy540

Renowned Member
17/10/08
lightningbefore said:
Yeah I heard some sketchy things about ufanta...but I thought a fair amount of people had good luck with them in the past? I don't know. I just know its there. I think the rep looks pretty ok when compared against the gen actually!

Hmmm food for thought... Do yuo have a rep of that watch in your avatar? I had seen the you tube assembly of that movement..... It is gerogeous....

lightningbefore

12/2/09
I do have a rep of the watch that is my avatar on the way! It is actually the exact watch in my avatar that is coming to my door. There were some technical holdups so I won't receive it for a few more weeks.

I saw the youtube video of the Gens creation and its astounding! I can't wait to see if the rep even comes close. I will definitely have a "review" of the rep when I get it in August!!

D

d4m.test

I dont know why someone would want a replica of a watch that commemorates something that never happened...
Its like buying a replica baseball jersey from when the Chicago Cubs won the world series a couple years ago!

lightningbefore

12/2/09
Haha, funny point!

But more importantly, I hate the Cubs. I would never buy something to commemorate something that will never happen! :wink: