• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The MoonSwitch Project

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
With due respect to the MoonSwatch Metal Mod aka Project Alaskawatch thread, and not wanting to go too far off @eddi ‘s topic there, I decided to post a unique thread with a different spin— building the franken MoonSwatch.

The goal here is to replace the incorrect functioning Sunon PE50 that comes with (all?) MoonSwatch reps with a fully functional genuine ETA G10.212 movement.

Is it possible? Let’s see…

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
First, I needed a rep to franken and I found what I wanted on AliExpress. I bought this particular rep because it has a removable battery access panel like the genuine MoonSwatch.

Which did I choose? The Mission to the Moon for no particular reason.

Reactions: Hesekiel

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Next, I needed a movement. I’d done my research and knew I needed one of two versions of the ETA G10.212. The AP and AJ versions have the 1/10th second subdial at 2:00, running seconds at 6:00, and 60 minute chrono timer at 10:00. Like the other G10.212s, both versions have a large center sweeping seconds hand.

What’s the difference between the AP and AJ, you ask? According to Caliber Corner’s Database the AJ version has PreciDrive technology and is more accurate.

“The PreciDrive technology integrated into a calibre will allow the watch to achieve exceptional precision of +/- 10 seconds a year, a score equivalent to a precision of 0.027 seconds a day.”

Whereas the AP version can be expected to to have “an instantaneous rate of -4 seconds to +6 seconds per day with an average of +/-1 second per day.”

Which version is in the genuine MoonSwatch? I have no clue and to make it more confusing, there is no mark on the movement to identify which version of the G10.212 it is.

Reactions: Hesekiel and Hoovie

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
So I decided to get whichever AP or AJ movement I could. Unfortunately, getting the movement proved more difficult than anticipated and didn’t quite go as smoothly as I’d like.

To be continued…

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
Hi,
What is the problem with the Sunon PE50 ? Doesn't the rep moonswatch work fine ?

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
Hi,
What is the problem with the Sunon PE50 ? Doesn't the rep moonswatch work fine ?

read this- all questions shall be answered.

Reactions: Nono92

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
OK but are you sure there aren't other versions now working like gen ? I went on DHG to read the comments and it seems OK... I asked the seller for clarification.

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
OK but are you sure there aren't other versions now working like gen ? I went on DHG to read the comments and it seems OK... I asked the seller for clarification.
I’m not aware of any. One thing for sure is they aren’t using genuine ETA movements.

On the ones I’ve seen, the 2:00 subdial is visibly wrong. The tells in the photos, as well as on the wrist, is the 2:00 subdial hand tracks with the hour hand and it is only at the reset position once a day. Some people are “freezing” that hand to make it seem real.

So let’s continue with my project…

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Part II finding a source for the movement:

Once, I knew what I needed, I went to the usual sources. As @restandrelaxation pointed out, there are many G10.212 movements for sale on ebay but most listings don’t say which version. You can look at the photos posted by the sellers but unfortunately, all G10.212 movements look the same.

The following photos come from ETA’s website.

Here is the G10.212 AB:
3t9BqR.md.png

Here is the G10.212 AD:
3t98sQ.md.png

Here is the G10.212 AJ:
3t9Ibk.md.png

Here is the G10.21 AP:
3t9mDs.md.png

See the difference? Of course you don’t. Now lets look at these photos of the dial side with the help of a graphic overlays:

Here is the G10.212 AB:
3t9QX8.md.png

Here is the G10.212 AD:
3t9lxK.md.png

Here is the G10.212 AJ:
3t9MZX.md.png

Here is the G10.212 AP:
3t9CUv.md.png

Now, let’s look at the dial view of a genuine MoonSwatch:
3t9gWk.md.jpg

As you can see from the photos above, only the AJ and AP versions will give us full MoonSwatch chrono functionality. And, if you search for G10.212 movements on ebay, Esslinger, etc., what will you find? Here’s a hint. Not the ones needed to franken a MoonSwatch.

So how did I source the right movement?

To be continued…

Knxvlln

Certified
14/5/20
United States
Researched this a while back bc I had a good rep and an ETA V8 from an Invicta pro.. problem was hands, dial, case, ... You can snag a Gen now that the craze has died down for under retail... Wishing you all the luck in the world. If you pull it off, hat's off to you. Plus, the plastic "bioceramic".. it's still plastic but feel a Gen, solid grainy well made heavy "plastic". The three reps I had had fake Renata metal stickers on the movts under the battery covers, wtf. Cool looking- the straps are shit as well, hopefully you found a nicer stitched one. The reps I had, "AAA" for 30$... All were printed and chipped and faded after a few wears... Abandoned before even attempting. I'll save up 200$ one day ..... Good luck I'd love to see it done just to see it done!!

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Part III How I got my hands on a usable G10.212 (or maybe the earlier G10.211)

Frustrated that every seller who responded to my inquiries told me they couldn’t get one of the versions of the G10.212 that I needed, I figured Swatch (which owns ETA) must be using the movements in other watches besides the MoonSwatch and sure enough, I found many.

All I needed to do was search for Swatch Irony Chronos and then look at the photos to figure out which ones in the Irony series would make a suitable donor watch.

Obviously, I wanted a watch that was fully functioning. I didn’t care about the cosmetics and figured (correctly) that ugly watches would sell for less. So I found, and bought, the ugliest Irony chrono I could find with the 60 minute subdial at 10:00 and 1/10th second subdial at 2:00 (they all have running seconds at 6:00).

Ain’t she a beaut?
3tnx74.md.jpg

When, the watch arrived, I confirmed the chrono functions were working and they were. Next was getting the movement from the case. Since, these watches are not meant to be opened for servicing, the only way to get to the movement is to break the glue holding the bezel and crystal in place, then lift out from the front.

And here she is with her case open:
3tnbrj.md.jpg

Things were going smoothly until… (to be continued)

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Researched this a while back bc I had a good rep and an ETA V8 from an Invicta pro.. problem was hands, dial, case, ... You can snag a Gen now that the craze has died down for under retail... Wishing you all the luck in the world. If you pull it off, hat's off to you. Plus, the plastic "bioceramic".. it's still plastic but feel a Gen, solid grainy well made heavy "plastic". The three reps I had had fake Renata metal stickers on the movts under the battery covers, wtf. Cool looking- the straps are shit as well, hopefully you found a nicer stitched one. The reps I had, "AAA" for 30$... All were printed and chipped and faded after a few wears... Abandoned before even attempting. I'll save up 200$ one day ..... Good luck I'd love to see it done just to see it done!!

This has nothing to do with anything EXCEPT the challenge! I was very disappointed with the reps I saw and I couldn’t pass up on the opportunity to swap in a gen movement for the ill-functioning PE50 movements in the fakes.

As you’ll see when I complete this narrative, not all rep bioceramic MoonSwatch cases are made the same and I’ll soon share how things went with the dials and hands.

I’m not aware of MoonSwatches being readily available for less than retail. Broken ones, perhaps, but not the rest. As of this moment, and according to Swatch’s website, genuine MoonSwatches are still only available at Swatch boutiques and priced at $260 US. On ebay, the lowest price is $299 US and the highest is some ungodly multiple of way too much!

Finally, it’s worth pointing out, there is no such thing as an V8 caliber from ETA. ETAs with the V8 stamped on the back are made in Switzerland. ETAs without the V8 stamp are assembled in Thailand with Swiss-made parts.

Knxvlln

Certified
14/5/20
United States
I respect the fact that you may be correct, the ETA V8 from the donor "pro Invicta" I'll have to double check, it is possible that it's the incorrect movement for the swatch but I do believe it is an old Swiss ETA V8. Also, you're correct there are several different grades of these reps, I got my hands on several and even the best doesn't feel anywhere near like Gen, although they've got the appearance down. I respect the challenge, that's why I'm reading and following and wishing luck. I hope you can get it to work. I did a lot of searching when I was obsessed with one of these, found a few used for slightly under retail, not by much. Definitely not price gouged to a thousand bucks. I wore my reps as work bangers a time or two apiece, when the speedmaster print started to fade I threw them on marketplace and they sold in 10 seconds as reps for twice what I paid to very happy buyers. People are nuts for these things. If you do find one for less than retail it gets snatched up fast, and there are lots of scammers out there. Wishing you luck with your project and patience, I hope it all works out. Time permitting I'll photograph that ETA V8 incorrect chronograph movement. It's at least 15 years old, wouldn't have worked So it's sitting in its prized Invicta case at the bottom of a tool box.

No disrespect, I'm pulling for this to work! Probably could have kept my mouth shut, intrigued...

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
Can you put a link in from the dhgate add?

Reactions: therepfather