• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Moonswatch metal mod aka Project Alaskswatch

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
If i could find some black shuttle hands I'd do it in a heart beat. Then again, I could paint them💡 Oh and I have a Mars swatch in a drawer somewhere too💡 oh and I have some old OMF speedy cases in my boneyard!💡 Literally just realized all of this as I typed this out. BE RIGHT BACK IVE GOT A WATCH TO BUILD!! Thanks @Eddio

I am curious to see if the dhgate pe50 (or do you have the gen moonswatch) is compatible with the OMF case which hosts a mechanical movement if I am not mistaken.

ne05747

Horology Curious
5/3/23
I have been spending 2 hours down the rabbit hole of this fascinating MS metal mod thread, bravo!

Carefully informing myself to see if I can attempt to mod it myself. I saw quite a few mods beyond the Alaskan one, but none to mod an Ultraman based upon a Mission to Mercury and an orange chronograph hand.

Has anyone attempted such mod?

Reactions: Got20Mate

stealthz275

stealth
25/2/24
new york new york
Hello fellow watch fans.

Today i want to take you on a mission from Mars to Alaska. A metallification of a Moonswatch!

It all started with this photo of the Omega Project Alaska watch.

The mission? Converting a Moonswatch Mission to Mars into a hommage to Project Alaska.

From this

to this photoshop idea

Spoiler alert, Houston we did it!!! And ofcourse everything works including the chronograph.

One final touch is still needed but i am not sure if i am going to do it. And that is the crown. I kind of like it with the moonswatch plastic crown.

So what do you think? I will tell you more about it soon!
what mm is the case and dial?

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
If i could find some black shuttle hands I'd do it in a heart beat. Then again, I could paint them💡 Oh and I have a Mars swatch in a drawer somewhere too💡 oh and I have some old OMF speedy cases in my boneyard!💡 Literally just realized all of this as I typed this out. BE RIGHT BACK IVE GOT A WATCH TO BUILD!! Thanks @Eddio

Cartoon Omg GIF by Scooby-Doo
@ward1991 where is that build 👀 ?

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
@ward1991 where is that build 👀 ?
I laid everything out on my workspace, started cutting open the rep moonwatch caseback when just then I saw a strange bright light over the lake behind my house. I went outside, walked down the path to the shore and heard an increasingly dreadful humming noise, then a flash of neon light. Then I woke up in my bed the next morning, anyways, haven't thought of the moonswatch build since! But my ass sure hurts!

Fabian.

Known Member
9/4/19
Does anyone else have the problem with the movement not sitting tight in the case despite using the spacer?
How do you fix it? Simply adding foam or so between caseback and movement holder?

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
Does anyone else have the problem with the movement not sitting tight in the case despite using the spacer?
How do you fix it? Simply adding foam or so between caseback and movement holder?
There are several cases, so the methods are different. I even had a case where the holder would snag into the caseback making screwing impossible

here are the ways I have used :

1. leave the crown unscrewed, and assemble. The lip of the caseback hugs the holder and locks it
2. metal ring that is inside the plastic rep between the crystal and the dial. put it in the caseback
3. custom steel wire octagon in the caseback
4. springy foam tape taped inside the caseback
5. very thin steel wire octagon between holder and case

Eazyjd

Horology Curious
3/10/23
Since I read that the pagani cases work quite well for the swap, did anyone tried a swap to the "dark side of the moon" pagani?

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region