• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Master Has Been Hard At Work ...

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
from which factory your case is?

This was a J12 case. I am only using J12 cases for new Frankens at this point. I waited for the BUB cases for a long time. Then I saw, J12 is a pretty good case.

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
This thread was meant to get you back into the AP cult.

"Just when you're out, they pull you back in."

Haha, it works. I'm hanging around at eBay at the moment and looking for a RC dial [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone 6

Micasol

I'm Pretty Popular
14/4/14
So let's wait to see which model is, but for sur an awesome one. Really happy to read this thread with those beautiful built.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
Gen hands are for mad guys who're looking for perfection, the rep one modded are well, and finally it is very difficult to spot the difference between gen hands and rep modded.

for me and some others, gen hands is a must. I do not understand when you care about the DW space or the lowered crown. Just looking at the rep hands gives me a horibble shake. It's like driving a Porsche with a Beatle engine..lol
My first look on a AP is to the hands, and not to the crown.

sent from my iPad Air

Micasol

I'm Pretty Popular
14/4/14
for me and some others, gen hands is a must. I do not understand when you care about the DW space or the lowered crown. Just looking at the rep hands gives me a horibble shake. It's like driving a Porsche with a Beatle engine..lol
My first look on a AP is to the hands, and not to the crown.

sent from my iPad Air

guru I agree with you, what I said was on ironical:p tone. But at least a franken without gen hands is still a beautiful piece.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
gen crown, pushers and case screws are not a big tell, but rep hands are.
I know that not many people know what I am talking about until they see it.
It is the same with the DW space. When you know it, you see it everytime.
I rather thake gen hands and a fake tachy.

sent from my iPad Air

ciceroyeah

Renowned Member
8/8/13
gen crown, pushers and case screws are not a big tell, but rep hands are.
I know that not many people know what I am talking about until they see it.
It is the same with the DW space. When you know it, you see it everytime.
I rather thake gen hands and a fake tachy.

sent from my iPad Air

Rep hands are a huge tell because of the width of the tube hole. The other huge tell for me is thickness. Those extra 2-3 mm on the reps make a huge difference on the wrist, can see it a mile away.

jamztio

I'm Pretty Popular
10/1/12
Yep, gen hands is a must while rep tachy is more forgivable. It's becoming a basic requirement for a franken AP to me.

Paladium

15/2/13
Rep hands are an issue to me too. Dont you guys noticed that on most of the reps, the hands are always dirty or have little markings. That to me in an instant tell on rep or gen.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
I could find gen hands, yes, but, I am sad to report, they were all damaged in some way. Like alot of OEM parts floating around in the grey market. The J12 rep hand set has a larger pinion surround, no doubt, and is an instant tell to the wizened few in the world. But I would rather enjoy my Volcano while still searching, and consider it a work-in-progress. I do not agree that rep hands are "always dirty" In fact, the quality of these rep hands has steadily improved. The hand sets on the 44mm models are very impressive. In fact, I do not know why the rep factories do not do a special order of gen-spec hands with their hands factory and sell them through the TDs, It would be very easy for them to convert the pinion fitting sizes to the 2892 sizes, etc. Much easier than me sending vector files across the planet and spending $$$ on modelling costs, etc. :p Or soldering together a rep ROO hand with a 2892 pinion surround. :adoration: Sure, rep hands will have markings from people banging them with their Presto and removing them improperly, or from a cheap metallic hand presser., and dirt and corrosion from greasy fingers, LOL, but otherwise.... they are getting better. As for the rep tachy, many times the finish is not so good: also, there is a problem with a rep tachy when installing an OEM crystal.

OSX

Renowned Member
19/12/10
of course, we all want Gen hands, but they are hard to get. End of story. The great thing is that we can finish a Franken and upgrade to Gen hands. It's more complicated to have a franken upgraded with a Gen tachy.

For my part, I fing the different inputs in this thread very interesting. There is so much knowledge on RWI... impressive.

aflop

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/5/13
I'm wondering.. Anyone ever try sanding down the rings of the hour hand just by a fraction so that it won't look as bad?

Just thinking out loud.. Maybe by half an mm just so it can almost get in line with the minute hand?

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
I tried that. I failed. LOL. Valante tried that. He failed. LOL.
Now, soldering rep hands on a 2892 pinion center, that might work.

aflop

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/5/13
I tried that. I failed. LOL. Valante tried that. He failed. LOL.
Now, soldering rep hands on a 2892 pinion center, that might work.

Could you share how it failed? Did the pinion ring become too thin and break?

jamztio

I'm Pretty Popular
10/1/12
Well, for consolation, gen hands can be bought separately but not gen tachy. Haha.

*Sent from my fingers using my head*

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Could you share how it failed? Did the pinion ring become too thin and break?

You answered your own question. :p It also became apparent that the entire hand would need replating after reshaping IF it would succeed. But, please, anyone reading this, try it yourself. Maybe you will have better success.

Micasol

I'm Pretty Popular
14/4/14
Well, for consolation, gen hands can be bought separately but not gen tachy. Haha.

*Sent from my fingers using my head*

i have bought my gen black tachy separately of the dial from the dr