• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

the lesser of two evils

nikcorda

Known Member
5/12/14
im in a predicament, and id like some advice from the experts.

i purchased an IWC 3777 (rep) at a good price that was non functioning, the seconds hand would not move. after a few good slaps on the palm, it started up and actually keeps great time now! chronograph and all. theres two "minor"issues with the movement though. we'll call this one movement A.

movement A:
first the autowind mechanism is not working. it seems like theres too much resistance in the winding direction, even when the mainspring is fully unwound, and normal movement will not wind it. you can spin the rotor by hand with something and it will wind it, also the manual wind works fine. power reserve is really strong once its wound. but spinning the watch by hand will not cause the rotor to wind it, though the rotor spins very freely in the non-winding direction, so i dont think its the bearing.

second with movement A, i think is related to the keyless works. when trying to set the time, the winding stem/crown slips when advancing the time. this varies, and the position it happens is not consistent. it doesnt seem to slip when going backwards in time. it seems worse the faster i try to set the time. if i go really slow its not as bad, but still happens.

i dont have any experience fixing movements, but i was a carpenter, ive fixed numerous musical instruments in my life, and i repair computers for a living, so im not scared. movement A seemed like too much for me though, so i bought a used a7750 that supposedly worked. we'll call this movement B. was just going to swap it in and be done. well of course when i got movement B, it didnt work...

movement B:
after a few slaps of this movement, low and behold it worked!! the only issue with this one now, is that its slow by about 2 minutes a day. i havent put hands on it yet to verify the chronograph, but it maintains its timekeeping when i engage the chrono, and resetting the chrono seems to not cause issues. it shipped from australia, so im just hoping it possibly got badly magnatized during shipping...

so the choices are:
fix movement A
fix movement B
or sell both for what i can and buy a new a7750 off eBay

sorry for the long post, but its been driving me crazy not wearing this watch the past two months, and im ready to get this taken care of.

thanks in advance!

D

d4m.test

send the whole watch for repairs/service, send movement A+B along with it in case spare parts from one is needed to make at least one of them run properly

nikcorda

Known Member
5/12/14
thanks for the input.

it would be a lot cheaper and quicker to just buy a new movement off eBay and install it myself. thats the last resort for me, im just trying to see if either of these movement's issues might be a somewhat easy fix. if not, i'll just sell them and buy a new one.

EDIT:
also, i like tinkering with things, and it would be very rewarding if this were something i could resolve myself.

nikcorda

Known Member
5/12/14
bump? very close to just selling these movements and buying a new one.