• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Ladies' Rolex thread...a guide to assembling a nice Franken (thread will be updated periodically)

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
THE CONCEPT (aka, the "Rabbit Hole"):

I've fallen down a rabbit hole recently, trying to put together a watch for my girlfriend's birthday (in early June...it was supposed to be a Christmas present, to give an idea of how deep this hole went, lol). After some dead ends and (often costly) mistakes, I finally came up with an acceptable product...and lots of spare parts and solutions to the problems that presented themselves along the way (which will probably wind up as future presents and/or sold here M2M to recoup some of the expense). There's really not a lot of information on building one of these, at least that I could find, and a lot of the information is old, outdated, and very limited.

I decided to put together a post to share what I've learned, and hopefully help anyone wishing to go down the same path can avoid my mistakes. All in, you can put together a watch that looks great, is all gen but the movement and hands, and is damn near indistinguishable from the gen...for about $500 USD or less, depending on how patient you are accumulating the parts. If you keep your eyes open, you can probably add a gen movement and hands down the road (if you find a deal) and have essentially a genuine watch. Women's parts are dirt cheap, relative to men's, with some caveats.

Women's watches generally don't have the popularity that Men's watches do, and as a result, there's not a lot of good offerings in the rep world. Either they don't exist at all, don't have the high quality of the better offerings in men's watches (ie, there's no Clean Explorer or VSF Sub equivalent). There's also a trend toward women wearing wearing larger (men's) watches, which reduces the demand even further. Currently, you can buy a rep of the 28mm, 31mm, or go with a larger 34, 36, or larger watch. I focused on the older, vintage 24mm and 26mm No Date, Date, and Datejust watches, which are classic, timeless, and very femine.

I'll go over the process a step at a time.

THE MOVEMENT (AND HOLDER):

Most women's watches use a variation on the ETA 2671 or Asian clone. Like all ETA movements, the keyless works can be problematic, and working on a movement that's half to 2/3 the size of the 2824 we're familiar with wasn't something I was looking forward to.

After some research, I went with the Seiko NH05, which is comparable in size, very reliable, and considerably cheaper than the ETA (around $30 on AliExpress, vs close to $100 for the ETA clone). The NH05 has a plastic spacer ring included, which attaches to the movement. The spacer is removable, it fits the movement via 2 plastic "pins" that fit into holes in the movement. I have found it to work equally well in either the 24mm or 26mm cases, although the movement holders are different.

The beat rate is 21,600, which is close enough to the Rolex 1161 (18,000 early, 19,800 later) to pass a close inspection. It's a bit slower than the later 203X movement (28,800), but on such a small watch, it's hard to appreciate the difference.

I experimented with modifying this spacer (it's possible to drill holes in the plastic spacer, which will accommodate the dial feet, so they can be used without removing them), but ultimately went with a 3D printed spacer that's a tight fit to the movement and the case, while allowing the rotor to spin. I removed and didn't use the stock plastic spacer.

There's no way to use case clamps this way, but some careful applications of sticky dial holders secures it, and if you experiment with the hight of the holder, it can be a snug, press fit when the case back is screwed on. There's a lip that stops the movement from contacting the dial, so there's room for the date wheel to rotate, and for a DWO to be added to the movement. The 2671 DWO from Raffles should work, although I haven't tried this yet, since I'm waiting for them to arrive. Out of the box, the NH05 date wheel is pretty close to the stock Rolex dial opening, with just a small amount of daylight to the outside edge.

The 3D printed movement holder can be altered by either tweaking the measurements in the CAD file, or with some careful sanding. Generally, when I sand anything 3D printed intended for the inside of a watch, there's some dust created. I wash off what I can under the sink, then hit it (quickly) with a disposable lighter...enough to "melt" the dust and stick it to the holder, but not enough to melt or misshape the part...think about when you pass your finger through a flame...hot enough to feel, but not enough to burn. It seems to work as far as I can tell, although it's not probably "horologist approved," lol.

The 3D movement holder has plenty of space for a DWO.

The Date wheel lines up pretty well with the gen Rolex dial, although there's a little daylight on the outside edge. The font is also wrong, and it's a little sunken. I'm optimistic that the Raffles DWO for the 2671 will work perfectly (I'm waiting for my order to arrive), with a little spacer behind it to bring it closer to the dial.

24mm spacer:

26mm spacer:

Last edited:

dpd3672

Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
THE DIAL:

Ladies' Rolex dials are surprisingly affordable and ubiquitous, tons to choose from on Ebay, although some are well worn (not a bad thing, if you're going for a vintage look), and some are expensive. I've seen them as cheap as $20, and as expensive as $several hundred, but mostly you can find a good one for about $50, give or take. There are two sizes that I've worked with, for a 24mm (usually no date, but there are exceptions), and 26mm (usually with date, but with exceptions, and in either "Date" or "Datejust" models). They are not interchangeable, so make sure you get the right one for your case. They also sometimes have dial feet in different locations, depending on what movement they were intended for, so the 3d movement holders might need some modification (either in the CAD file or with a small hole drilled for the dial feet).

One notable exception I found is that SOME dials for the 24mm case have dial feet that are too long...I didn't remove them, but did file them down about half height, in order to let the dial sit flush with the movement holder. I wouldn't recommend this on a rare or expensive dial, but it's not too bad, and will still allow the dial to fit on a gen movement, should you decide on that path down the road.

26mm cases take a dial that's ~20mm in diameter, 24mm cases take a dial that's ~18mm in diameter.

THE BRACELET:

Lots of options here. Gen bracelets sell for ~$100-300 in stainless, quite a bit more in gold or two tone. With a gen bracelet, you're likely to get well worn ones on the low end of the price range, rather nice ones at the higher end. They'll also be older, riveted ones, which feel very cheap compared to modern ones. Jubilee and Oyster bracelets seem to sell for about the same price.

Raffles makes very nice bracelets for just under $40 to about $60 that are actually arguably higher quality than the vintage gens (flame away, it's true, lol), and I'm sure there are many others, Raffles is just where I'm used to shopping.

There are also very cheap (and in my opinion, very close to gen in feel and construction) jubilee and oyster options on AliExpress. I've purchased some of these in 19mm and 20mm and been very happy with the product, although full disclosure, I don't have any of the 13mm (some have been ordered), so not sure if they're the same.

A strap is also a nice option. Pair any nice 13mm leather strap with a rep Rolex buckle (usually under $5 on AliX), and it can really look nice.

Last edited:

dpd3672

Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
THE CASE:

Ok, to not get too complicated here, disregarding the various sub-models, this is a quick and dirty rule of thumb:

*24mm Rolex models start with (1)65XX (with date), (1)66XX (no date), (1)67XX (no date) and (1)76XX (no date).
*26mm models are numbered (1)65XX (date), (1)67XX (no date), (1)69XX (with date), and (1)79XX (with date).

It looks to me that the cases may be more or less the same, the "24mm" and "26mm" cases have very similar outside dimensions, by my measurements. The biggest difference is the rehaut measurement, which is bigger on the 26mm cases (with date) than the 24mm cases (without date) to accommodate the bigger dial on the date models. As such, they take different bezels and crystals, but have case backs and bracelets that are identical in dimension.

There may be other models and exceptions, but that's what I have found. Generally speaking the cases have similar internal dimensions, but the rehaut opening is bigger on the 26mm models, so the dials don't interchange between sizes. Everything else can be modifed by tweaking the movement holder, either by changing the measurements or sanding the finished product.

So far, I've only built up 24mm models without date, and 26mm models with date (both "Date" and "Datejust" models), but I will update the thread if I venture into more uncharted territory, lol.

Cases are pretty common on Ebay and elsewhere, and sell in the $150-400 range, depending on model, condition, and what's included. Many seem to sell without bezels, crystals, crowns, and case backs, however. In my experience, it's best to pay a bit more and get a complete case set than try to put one together a la carte.

*Crowns aren't too difficult to find (all take a 5.3mm crown, and there are very good aftermarket options available if you don't want to pay a big premium for a gen crown)
*Case backs can be a huge pain in the ass to track down, and are often selling for what a complete case goes for. Not sure why, but there are aftermarket ones available that fit SOME gen cases. I picked up some cases (detailed below) on AliX for not too much money, and the case backs fit SOME of the gen cases.
*Bezels have different options, fluted, smooth, and engine turned. The bezels for 26mm cases are easy to find and reasonably priced, with options in gen and aftermarket. They're ~26mm outside diamter and ~21.3mm inside diamter. 24mm bezels are much harder to find, in my experience. They have dimensions of ~24mm outside diameter and ~20mm inside diameter. I suspect many of the bezels sold for 26mm watches are probably 24mm bezels that the seller didn't measure and confirm, but that's just based on seeing so many more for sale in 26mm size. YMMV.

I also ordered some of these cases to experiment with. They're decent quality, although not correct, but the rehaut is too big for a gen dial, so they won't work for this project. A bonus, however, is the case back does fit some of the gen cases, so it's a reasonable and inexpensive way to get a caseback if you've got a watch it will fit. The bracelet is also 13mm, like the gen, so that's usable too, although the clasp is sterile and doens't have the Rolex logo. The crystal is sapphire and the bezel isn't compatible, sadly.

Last edited:

dpd3672

Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
THE HANDS:

There are a lot of options for hands, since Seikos are arguably the most popular watches to mod. I went with some cheap hands, which look decent, but are very flimsy in construction. In the future, I'll probably experiment with different hands, these were purchased just to see what the finished watch would look like.

This is what I used, I bought a couple of each style to keep my options open. There are tons of options, probably some more authentic ones, but this was reasonably priced to experiment with and looked good, especially in such a small size.

THE CRYSTAL:

Gen if you can get it, Clark's or similar if you want good quality for a reasonable price. The sizes are as follows:

24mm DATE: 25-101
24mm NO DATE: 25-3
26mm DATE: 25-129
26mm NO DATE: 25-3

Last edited:

dpd3672

Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
I have a GEN vintage Rolex that my wife never wears. I bought it in 2010 on eBay for $570. Given how unpopular these small watches now are, I'm not sure it makes financial sense to build a Franken.

From what I’ve seen, they’re selling for $2-4k now.

Back in the early 2000s, I was buying Subs and GMTs for under $2k. Prices have gone crazy.

gym chan

Certified
1/4/18
Vietnam/Canada
Kudos to @dpd3672 for putting in the work towards a meaningful gift. But if you haven't gone too deep already, I'd recommend buying her an Omega quartz, plenty of neo-vintage ladies Constellations out there at around $400-500. Easy pick & go, no hassle of setting the date/time if she's not a watch person. I recently bought a 29mm Aqua Terra for my sister's graduation for just $850.

dpd3672

Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Kudos to @dpd3672 for putting in the work towards a meaningful gift. But if you haven't gone too deep already, I'd recommend buying her an Omega quartz, plenty of neo-vintage ladies Constellations out there at around $400-500. Easy pick & go, no hassle of setting the date/time if she's not a watch person. I recently bought a 29mm Aqua Terra for my sister's graduation for just $850.

I got her a Seamaster Pro Gen when she got scuba certified last Summer, so had to one up myself, lol.

dpd3672

Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
And a mash up of some stops along the way:

24mm waiting for parts, needs silver hands and a bezel and crystal:

First 26mm that wound up being changed a lot. When I was still trying to use a modified stock movement holder.

The (almost) finished product, with different bezel, hands, and dial.

dpd3672

Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Planning on putting together a couple more this week, as soon as I get more movements (and the remaining straggling parts), will post more detailed build photos as I go.

Reactions: fnfalguy

dpd3672

Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
The (almost) finished birthday present, which she won’t take off, lol.

Still needs the Raffles DWO fitted, and the crystal refreshed (either new or polished better) and realigned (it apparently rotated slightly clockwise when I installed the bezel), but very happy with the finished product.

All Gen and nicely vintage looking Oyster Perpetual Date in 26mm.

Last edited:

Tony-Soprano

Ducks 🦆 | Traveler 🌍 |Frankens ⌚
25/5/24
East Coast, USA
I have a GEN vintage Rolex that my wife never wears. I bought it in 2010 on eBay for $570. Given how unpopular these small watches now are, I'm not sure it makes financial sense to build a Franken.

Unfortunately, they no longer sell for $570 got my wife one for about $2,700 two tone non-quick set, a year ago. I think it’s worth the build plus frankens are fun to put together!

Tony-Soprano

Ducks 🦆 | Traveler 🌍 |Frankens ⌚
25/5/24
East Coast, USA
The (almost) finished birthday present, which she won’t take off, lol.

Still needs the Raffles DWO fitted, and the crystal refreshed (either new or polished better) and realigned (it apparently rotated slightly clockwise when I installed the bezel), but very happy with the finished product.

All Gen and nicely vintage looking Oyster Perpetual Date in 26mm.

Really like this one! Any solution yet for the date wheel gap? Is there possibly an overlay out there that can be used?

MS00012

Getting To Know The Place
22/11/17
Atlanta
Great write up! Really glad you have dove into this as this was a frustrating project I worked on about a year ago. You are correct that ladies parts are cheap and easy to come by. EXCEPT THE MOVMENET. Those are super expensive and hard to find. You would almost be better off buying a whole used watch rather than just the movement. There are no clones of the movement to use, so that regulates us to use other ladies small watch movements.

I used an ETA 2671, datewheel overlay with a shoddy 3d printed spacer for my 26mm ladies datejust 69173 project. Had to glue everything together and messed up the movement a bit. Now I am looking to switch to the NH05 like you did. I'll document what I did below for the benefit of the group.

HERE ARE THE PROBLEMS WITH AN ETA 2671 MOVEMENT AND 26MM CASE.

PRICE/DURABILITY: ETA 2671 are expensive and the keyless system messes up quite easily. I fond this out the hard way.

SPACER RING: The raffles brass ring movement spacer that this project needs is not in stock and probably never will be again. Raffles was the only one I found that sold it and have contacted him multiple times throughout the last 2 years asking if it will ever come back. Seeing how there are no 26MM clones being produced anymore, I doubt we will ever see this ring made again.

I took the dimension of this ring and 3d printed one. The problem is I didn't have any of the holes, cutouts or screw holes correct. BUT EVEN IF I COULD GET THIS RING OR A PERFECT 3D PRINTED ONE, I WOULD NOT USE A 2671 BECAUSE OF THE DATEWHEEL SITUATION EXPLAINED BELOW.

I ended up having to make a cutout for the stem and glued the dial to the spacer to make this work. I tried dial adhesive, but it does not work well as the raised up datewheel (described below) has too much friction and would actually rotate the dial. The glued Dial/Spacer/Movement fit in the case ok, but could rotate with enough force. The stem unfortunately is what is keeping the watch head from rotating, so not ideal. This was a frustrating project because NOTHING FITS TOGETHER. The dial does not attach to the movement or spacer. The spacer does not attach to the movement and none of it secures to the case.

a20791c136d54ca1e17ba2_m__25762.1419965972.JPG

Datewheel: You have to glue a DWO to the existing date 2671 date wheel. Unfortunately the 2671 datewheel is sunken on the movement with a lip flushly around the edge of it. In order to get the datewheel overlay to rise above the lip, you have to use a secondary 2671 datewheel and grind off the teeth and glue it to the existing datewheel to use it as a "spacer". Then you have to glue the DWO to the raised up datewheel "spacer". When you raise up the Datewheel like this off the movement, you also get more top friction from the dial and more resistance changing date due to the added weight of the spacer. From this aspect alone, I would not recommend using this movement. With the added friction, things can mess up the movement and make the glued datewheel sandwich come loose.

Rolex+sub+gold+black+Movements++%2834+of+75%29.jpg

Date Wheel Overlay
DSC06460__86423.1506776578.1000.1200.JPG

With all that being said, I think the NH05 might be a better option since the Datewheel is not sunken and you can place a DWO on it without a spacer. I could be wrong on this, but would be interested to try.

• Love
Reactions: dpd3672

dpd3672

Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Great write up! Really glad you have dove into this as this was a frustrating project I worked on about a year ago. You are correct that ladies parts are cheap and easy to come by. EXCEPT THE MOVMENET. Those are super expensive and hard to find. You would almost be better off buying a whole used watch rather than just the movement. There are no clones of the movement to use, so that regulates us to use other ladies small watch movements.

I used an ETA 2671, datewheel overlay with a shoddy 3d printed spacer for my 26mm ladies datejust 69173 project. Had to glue everything together and messed up the movement a bit. Now I am looking to switch to the NH05 like you did. I'll document what I did below for the benefit of the group.

HERE ARE THE PROBLEMS WITH AN ETA 2671 MOVEMENT AND 26MM CASE.

PRICE/DURABILITY: ETA 2671 are expensive and the keyless system messes up quite easily. I fond this out the hard way.

SPACER RING: The raffles brass ring movement spacer that this project needs is not in stock and probably never will be again. Raffles was the only one I found that sold it and have contacted him multiple times throughout the last 2 years asking if it will ever come back. Seeing how there are no 26MM clones being produced anymore, I doubt we will ever see this ring made again.

I took the dimension of this ring and 3d printed one. The problem is I didn't have any of the holes, cutouts or screw holes correct. BUT EVEN IF I COULD GET THIS RING OR A PERFECT 3D PRINTED ONE, I WOULD NOT USE A 2671 BECAUSE OF THE DATEWHEEL SITUATION EXPLAINED BELOW.

I ended up having to make a cutout for the stem and glued the dial to the spacer to make this work. I tried dial adhesive, but it does not work well as the raised up datewheel (described below) has too much friction and would actually rotate the dial. The glued Dial/Spacer/Movement fit in the case ok, but could rotate with enough force. The stem unfortunately is what is keeping the watch head from rotating, so not ideal. This was a frustrating project because NOTHING FITS TOGETHER. The dial does not attach to the movement or spacer. The spacer does not attach to the movement and none of it secures to the case.

a20791c136d54ca1e17ba2_m__25762.1419965972.JPG

Datewheel: You have to glue a DWO to the existing date 2671 date wheel. Unfortunately the 2671 datewheel is sunken on the movement with a lip flushly around the edge of it. In order to get the datewheel overlay to rise above the lip, you have to use a secondary 2671 datewheel and grind off the teeth and glue it to the existing datewheel to use it as a "spacer". Then you have to glue the DWO to the raised up datewheel "spacer". When you raise up the Datewheel like this off the movement, you also get more top friction from the dial and more resistance changing date due to the added weight of the spacer. From this aspect alone, I would not recommend using this movement. With the added friction, things can mess up the movement and make the glued datewheel sandwich come loose.

Rolex+sub+gold+black+Movements++%2834+of+75%29.jpg

Date Wheel Overlay
DSC06460__86423.1506776578.1000.1200.JPG

With all that being said, I think the NH05 might be a better option since the Datewheel is not sunken and you can place a DWO on it without a spacer. I could be wrong on this, but would be interested to try

Thanks for adding your real world experience and solutions to the thread. If nothing else, it makes me happy that I didn't try the ETA movement first. I don't know of any rep Rolex that uses the NH05, but the measurements seemed close enough to work, and as I mentioned, it's a LOT cheaper and has a more robust keyless works to work with.

Similar issues with the Date Wheel, however, as it's sunken. I'm optimistic that with a DWO for the 2671 and some experimentation with finding a spacer that's the right thickness to fill the gap and not rub against the dial, it should be a workable solution.

MS00012

22/11/17
Atlanta
Thanks for adding your real world experience and solutions to the thread. If nothing else, it makes me happy that I didn't try the ETA movement first. I don't know of any rep Rolex that uses the NH05, but the measurements seemed close enough to work, and as I mentioned, it's a LOT cheaper and has a more robust keyless works to work with.

Similar issues with the Date Wheel, however, as it's sunken. I'm optimistic that with a DWO for the 2671 and some experimentation with finding a spacer that's the right thickness to fill the gap and not rub against the dial, it should be a workable solution.
So the NH05 datewheel is also sunken? From the picture, it looks like only the inner diameter may be sunken against the movement, but the outside diameter does not look like it has a lip around it. If that is the case, my hope would be that the DWO would work without a spacer. The DWO would hopefully not be smaller inner hole diameter and fit round the existing datewheel and larger outer diamater of the DWO would just hang off the side. Did you get your DWO in to check yet?

dpd3672

Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
So the NH05 datewheel is also sunken? From the picture, it looks like only the inner diameter may be sunken against the movement, but the outside diameter does not look like it has a lip around it. If that is the case, my hope would be that the DWO would work without a spacer. The DWO would hopefully not be smaller inner hole diameter and fit round the existing datewheel and larger outer diamater of the DWO would just hang off the side. Did you get your DWO in to check yet?
The date wheel is more or less flush with the metal movement plate it sits on, but the factory plastic spacer (and also the 3D printed spacer I use) has a lip that causes the date wheel to be sunken. It needs to in order to have the stem line up with the opening in the case.
I'm hoping I can make something to bridge the difference. I'm trying some 3D printed spacers, but might have to resort to something metal so it's a bit more precise in measurements.

I think I can probably cut some metal shims on the laser engraver if need be, or try to find an off the shelf solution...some kind of shim that's ~12mm OD and 16mm ID and 1mm or so thick. The thickness is probably going to be where the most trial and error occurs, since it has to raise the DWO without interfering with the date wheel rotating.

MS00012

22/11/17
Atlanta
The date wheel is more or less flush with the metal movement plate it sits on, but the factory plastic spacer (and also the 3D printed spacer I use) has a lip that causes the date wheel to be sunken. It needs to in order to have the stem line up with the opening in the case.
I'm hoping I can make something to bridge the difference. I'm trying some 3D printed spacers, but might have to resort to something metal so it's a bit more precise in measurements.

I think I can probably cut some metal shims on the laser engraver if need be, or try to find an off the shelf solution...some kind of shim that's ~12mm OD and 16mm ID and 1mm or so thick. The thickness is probably going to be where the most trial and error occurs, since it has to raise the DWO without interfering with the date wheel rotating.
Are you saying the date wheel is too far from the dial and that is why you need to raise it up?

dpd3672

Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
Are you saying the date wheel is too far from the dial and that is why you need to raise it up?
Yes.

In order to set the movement in the case so that the stem lines up with the hole, you need to recess the movement a little bit. That causes the movement to be spaced a bit from the dial, so the date appears sunken. The solution I'm hoping works is to mount a spacer disk, maybe 1mm in height (maybe more, maybe less, it's too small to measure with the tools I have, so I'll just use different thicknesses until it works) on the date wheel, then the DWO on the spacer.

It sounds like what you did with the ETA date wheel you ground the teeth off of, I'm just hoping to use a 3D printed spacer, or something I cut from thin metal stock. I've got some sheets of .4mm brass that I used to cut dial blanks, one or two thicknesses of that should get me in the ballpark.

The stock plastic movement ring on the NH05 is fairly thick, the 3D printed one is much thinner, but still leaves too much of a gap.