• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

the grand carrera calibre 8

omegazzz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/5/09
looks like this: first off, what is gmt ? is that window at 6 o clock the gmt measurement ? is a GMT function a diffcult one to replicate for these asian movements?

supposedly the replica 6 o clock window is the seconds and not the gmt, but when I went to store to see the genuine it sure looked like it was showing the seconds at the 6 o clock position.

can someone clarify this ?

http://www.timesshop.net/product.php?id_product=2610

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
OK - let's take your questions one at a time:

1) GMT = Greenwich Mean Time. In most watches which have a GMT function, the GMT is a fourth hand which circles the dial (or sub-dial) once every 24 hours (instead of once every 12 hours for the hour hand). It tells you whether you are at 2:15 am (the GMT hand will be just past 2) or 2:15 pm (the GMT hand will be just past 14 on the GMT chapter ring). On many watches the GMT hand is independently adjustable so you can set it to register the hour in another time zone (so you can see the time and am/pm for, say, Tokyo).
2) The GMT function, both slave and independant, are quite easily replicated and readily available, and are not expensive.
3) The watch you linked does show the running seconds at the 6 o'clock position.
4) The watch you linked is NOT a GMT watch. It does not show GMT anywhere.
5) This may be a rep of an older Calibre 8 model - I don't know. But it is NOT a decent rep of the current Calibre 8 models, which have running seconds from the center, GMT in the 6:00 subdial, and big two-digit date at the 12:00 position.

I suggest you google the watch models you like and get some gen pics with which to compare before you pull the trigger on any rep.

Good luck!