• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Future Tag Heuer Monaco, Which One Do You Like Best?

WatchEden

I'm Pretty Popular
3/9/08
Tag Heuer Monaco is an iconic creation, favored by many watch lovers and collectors. It’s really funny and excited that Tag Heuer will come with a distinctive and creative Monaco!!

A few months ago, Tag Heuer started a project with the New York City Campus, called “The Art of Watchmakingâ€. The purpose is to have design students re-imagine the iconic Tag Heuer Monaco. No matter what the final result will become, it to some extent helps Tag Heuer in its future design directions.

The students participated in this project were divided into groups which compete against one another. With cooperation, wisdom and effort, three groups of students won with their final works showed as below.

Black-Shield-2.jpg

Conquest.jpg

Sera.jpg

I really appreciate the intelligence and imagination of the designers; however, the charm of these watches only refers to design but not movement. Tag Heuer will reserve the right to actually produce these watches. If they really like the design, they will of course put them into creation. That’s to say, any of the three watches is possible to become a masterpiece in future.

Then, which one do you like best?

shirazi_r

Renowned Member
12/10/10
The first one is quite striking, it could do without the sliding cover though IMHO.

To be quite honest, the other two seem to be over reaching a bit. Again, just my opinion.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Black-Shield-2.jpg

Interesting bracelet, though it seems there's no connection between the watch and bracelet.
You could make a stretch assumption that the watch has a sort of Bell & Ross influence that was
taken to prima-dona extremes, and argue that the bracelet ties in that way- but you'd be wrong.

The slide makes no sense at all. It's obvious in the design that no thought was given to the
actual integration of the slide, nor any consideration to durability. Sliding the top means smearing
the crystal, or finger prints on the top- both of which will make cleaning the watch a PITA.

Conquest.jpg

Seriously? Did these people ever wear a watch? Have they never seen what
a clasp, deployant or buckle looks like? Maybe the goal of this watch isn't to
make money on selling it, but all the service work it's going to need. The hands
are disproportionate to the dial- too thin. Make them nice and fat skeletons.
Case is too thin. Good luck finding a movement that would fit in that case. Again,
this is where you have to wonder just how much research these people put
into building these designs.

Sera.jpg

Blech. Is this a high school project?

D

d4m.test

Black-Shield-2.jpg

Interesting bracelet, though it seems there's no connection between the watch and bracelet.
You could make a stretch assumption that the watch has a sort of Bell & Ross influence that was
taken to prima-dona extremes, and argue that the bracelet ties in that way- but you'd be wrong.

The slide makes no sense at all. It's obvious in the design that no thought was given to the
actual integration of the slide, nor any consideration to durability. Sliding the top means smearing
the crystal, or finger prints on the top- both of which will make cleaning the watch a PITA.

Conquest.jpg

Seriously? Did these people ever wear a watch? Have they never seen what
a clasp, deployant or buckle looks like? Maybe the goal of this watch isn't to
make money on selling it, but all the service work it's going to need. The hands
are disproportionate to the dial- too thin. Make them nice and fat skeletons.
Case is too thin. Good luck finding a movement that would fit in that case. Again,
this is where you have to wonder just how much research these people put
into building these designs.

Sera.jpg

Blech. Is this a high school project?

Profound opinions! An excellent watch design needs to take many factors into consideration, not just focusing on superficial design. However, the designers are only students on design, not watch experts. They don't know enough about watches, which makes the three design faulty, but really creative imagination. Not sure it's a high school project or not. Got source from a watch blog I usually read. ^_^

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
I'm with TB on this one.
They all reek of design for design's sake. Non of the students will make good watch designers and non of those deserve to wear the Monaco name as none fit the Monaco image in the slightest.

All the same, thanks for sharing WE, the designs are interesting as designs, just not as watches.

Col.

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
I'll take the magical deployant from #3.

Asheron82

I'm Pretty Popular
11/6/10
#1 gets my vote! love the PVD/DLC finishing and tourbillion look!