• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Darker Side of Moon, SpeedMaster DSOM black OMF v2 review

CF_Stan

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
14/6/23
UK
HxPEHJ.jpeg

Spot the gen 🤔

@frenchaccent @Marbe78

I’ve been getting quite a bit of interest in the Omega SpeedMaster Dark Side of the Moon black rep from OMF v2 so decided to do a review.

First off this is a very dark watch (if the name didn’t give it away) so legibility is not always easy, especially in low light settings. But if like me you like dark watches then this is something that will not put you off.

The replica dimensions are very similar to gen:
Case width 44.2mm Gen: 44.25mm
Lug length: 48.3mm Gen: 49.8mm
Thickness: 17.8mm Gen: 16.3mm
Weight: 109g Gen: 100g approx.

HxYd9K.jpeg

HxYkMv.jpeg

The case is made of ceramic just like gen and is finished very well with brushed and polished panels. The bezel is brushed in a circular motion and the tachy engraving is deep and clear. The shape of the case including the lugs look very similar to the gen.

The dial is also made from ceramic, well it is on the gen. I haven’t opened the watch to remove the dial and check but presume if they made the case from ceramic then it wouldn’t be a massive stretch for the dial to be made of it as well. The hour markers look consistent with gen, size, shape, positioning. The writing on the dial is done well too with all the text being the same shade. The size of the fonts and the positioning of text looks good too, as you’d expect for a $650 rep these days. The sub dial size, style and positioning also look very close to gen. Hands too, look good, especially the chrono seconds hand with it’s diamond like shape near the tip.

Probably heard me say this looks good, done very well etc, quite a bit and in truth I can’t really fault the case and dial at all except for one thing. The dreaded sunken date window, this is a big tell and is quite noticeable even at wearing distance. It doesn’t bother me or detract from how much I love the watch, but I know for some it may.

The way the watch wears is a bit different due to the thickness of the case back, the case back probably sticks out just as much as the bezel and crystal do from the front. This means the lugs hover above your wrist. It looks a bit weird in pictures but on the wrist is very comfortable and not something you notice. The strap and clasp are good, strap is comfortable and looks great with the watch. One thing with the claps is that it doesn’t give a satisfying click when closing it. It feels secure and haven’t had an issue with it coming loose but just a very small thing I noticed.

The winding is a bit heavy, nothing major but not smooth like a VS Rolex clone. Crown is not screwed down so pull it out to the first position for date adjustment. Pull it to the second position to stop the movement and set the time. Chrono functions well, nice click when starting and stopping the function and reset is sharp. I’ve run the chrono for over 20 minutes with no issues.

I think this is an excellent rep with the only real flaw being the sunken date window. I don’t think any fans of this model will be disappointed.

Just a few pictures:
HxYubI.jpeg

HxYsT4.jpeg

HxYMqj.jpeg

HxY4D1.jpeg

HxYEBX.jpeg

HxYF9p.jpeg

HxYbqt.jpeg

HxYJbE.jpeg

HxYcUn.jpeg

HxYgQ3.jpeg

HxyDRs.jpeg

HxyjhY.jpeg

HxyznD.jpeg

Hxy3sk.jpeg

Spot the gen answer: Bit of a trick question, first 3 are gen, last 2 are rep

If you have any questions fire away.

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Might have to pick one of these up, look the business. How does it wear? Stupid question I know but I don't really know how else to word it haha

CF_Stan

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
14/6/23
UK
I know what you're trying to say :D . It's very comfortable, like I said the case back is thick and prevents the lugs from touching the sides of your wrists. The case width is 44mm but the bezel is 41mm so on the wrist feels smaller. As it is ceramic it is very light and even though it is 17mm+ thick it doesn't feel bulky.

Reactions: Got20Mate

CF_Stan

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
14/6/23
UK
What timing. There’s a vintage black dsom just been posted in M2M now.

virgindaddy

Known Member
Supporter
2/5/23
Canada
Hi @CF_Stan thank you so much for the amazing review. I have always eyed the gen but somehow held back getting the OMF due to other reviews calling it too thick and incorrect dials amongst other flaws. However, with your review, I have just placed an order myself. Just had a quick question, is there a way we could fix the sunken dw?

• Love
Reactions: CF_Stan

CF_Stan

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
14/6/23
UK
Hi mate, thank you glad you appreciated it.

From what I know the OMF v1 had issues with thickness and also the chrono sub dial function. All of these were fixed in v2. The other issue with sub dial flaws I think is referring to the 3 sub dial models (3, 6, 9) where they are spaced too far apart and it is an easy tell.

I have no idea about the date wheel, maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in. I do remember another rep (different make, factory etc) that had a sunken date wheel and this was improved with a dial change. But I don't think there will be any aftermarket dials produced for this model.

virgindaddy

Known Member
Supporter
2/5/23
Canada
Hi mate, thank you glad you appreciated it.

From what I know the OMF v1 had issues with thickness and also the chrono sub dial function. All of these were fixed in v2. The other issue with sub dial flaws I think is referring to the 3 sub dial models (3, 6, 9) where they are spaced too far apart and it is an easy tell.

I have no idea about the date wheel, maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in. I do remember another rep (different make, factory etc) that had a sunken date wheel and this was improved with a dial change. But I don't think there will be any aftermarket dials produced for this model.
Hi yes you are right I did try looking at dials as well but however there are none I could spot. But I feel v2 is MUCH MUCH better than v1 from what I read. Will upload a pic soon once I get my watch after CNY. Cheers!

Reactions: CF_Stan

CF_Stan

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
14/6/23
UK
Hi yes you are right I did try looking at dials as well but however there are none I could spot. But I feel v2 is MUCH MUCH better than v1 from what I read. Will upload a pic soon once I get my watch after CNY. Cheers!
No problem. Looking forward to your pictures and thoughts on it.

Reactions: virgindaddy

dc2Rk24

Cars, Cats and Watches - Mostly Hated
Supporter
Certified
8/7/23
Greece
Thank you CF, with your review I pulled the trigger and bought one black black for myself.
Being a small wrist dude wearing watches that have never exceeded 13mm thickness nor 40mm diameter I can positively say that this watch wears great albeit being humongous.
So if you love the looks like I do don’t hesitate to pull the trigger

CF_Stan

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
14/6/23
UK
Thanks bro, glad my review helped. It’s great that you’re loving the watch. Sometimes dimensions can be deceiving and you just have to try it on. How’s the lume on yours? I’m just curious as the hour markers aren’t lined on mine but on the TD sites they are.

dc2Rk24

Cars, Cats and Watches - Mostly Hated
Supporter
Certified
8/7/23
Greece
Unfortunately no sign of lume anywhere on the watch including hands which I found odd but couldn’t find any lume pics from any TD of my knowledge, so I figured it’s like that?

CF_Stan

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
14/6/23
UK
Oh that’s too bad bro, but not the end of the world.

Trusty Time and One Watches have images with full lume
KQW3Gj.png

KQWzp1.jpeg

Trusty Time’s ad was added in 2019 so possible that only early versions had full lume. Mine has lume on the hands only, I guess I should be thankful for that 😂.

• Haha
Reactions: dc2Rk24