• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The attack of the SuperFakes

Fontaine

Known Member
Gold Patron
13/10/18
Excellent point. Every single person is walking around with their heads down, eyes glued to their smart phone. There is a huge segment of the population, at least in the US that have never owned a watch, and most likely won’t until it becomes a social necessity. Meaning, way up the social ladder in their careers. I know many people in their 30’s who still do not and never have owned a watch. Watches have always played two functions, both utilitarian and as a symbol of status and quality of taste (that’s actually 3, but status and good tastes, in some other dimension are in parallel).

People are much more inclined to easily dole out $1,000.00+ for a new iPhone than ever consider purchasing a watch of any value. In addition there are loads of inexpensive functional quartz movement watches people purchase if they do need a watch on their wrist.

It has, in many respects become only jewelry that has a functional aspect to it. Most young people that do wear a watch, use it as a statement of their “independence’s”, as they do with a specific tattoo, which actually is the polar opposite of that individualism they were advertising. Others like myself use it as a functional tool and jewelry, and at least for myself, a statement of my understanding of quality design, reflected my profession as an architect.

I’m from a different generation that grew up with a watch on our wrist since we were kids. I have never worn a ring or any type of jewelry, but have always had a watch on my wrist. It is only human nature I would continue with that habit. Working my way up the ladder of quality watches.

So in my mind it is absolutely understandable that the higher end watch market will suffer. Do you think a 20 something year old person in a professional career wants to flash the next level in time keeping on their wrist while using an iPhone 4? I don’t think so.

We live in a time completely different than say 20, 30, or 50 years ago. We now have access to all the materialistic things our hearts desire on a monthly payment plan. This also diminishes the market share for luxury watches. I could break down my concept of the economics and market share further, but this post is already WAY TOO LONG!!!!! I won’t even go into the valid rationalization of rep’s vs gen’s and dollar value!

Just my observations and opinions on watches and society.
I’m not God, so I could be wrong.

Fully agree with everything you’ve said here.

Sent from the RWI App

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
I think it depends on the buyer itself i know people with the newest iphones who are broke as hell and i know people with a lot of money but a 100 dollar phone because they don't care. I even know people who are below 20 and love watches.

But i agree a lot of people want it as a status symbol.