• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TC - When Enough is Enough

giobo

Respected Member
6/5/10
OP you are very patient.I would open this tread way earlier !! But since TC will make something for you i think you will be fine at last !!!

gbxx

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/14
For every complaint there are 25 happy customers. Everyone wants quicker service. I have 3 of his movements and hope I don't have this issue but I would take it to my watchmaker if I did. I am sure you will love your watch once it is repaired and this will be a faint memory.

+1 on the 1:25 ratio of unhappy/happy customers.

It seems some folks are just out for blood or something. TC apologized, addressed the problem, provided a solution, set the expectation. What else is there?

And as for the "overpriced" comment... no one is forcing anyone to buy one. Obviously the rest of the market doesn't agree with you or TC wouldn't have a backlog of orders. Some economists might argue the supply and demand curves aren't intersecting at the current price, which has resulted in the backlog.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
If this is the case, I can also be done without uncasing the movement. Correct?

Yep, just remove the winding module and turn it over and you can see the screw that hold the gears in place.

One screw on the rotor, 2 screws on the winding module and one screw on the gear bridge or plate. Just don't confuse the two replacement gears. They look very similar. Lots of people have had good luck removing the gears and just cleaning them in solvent.

ColPanic

Supporter
Certified
17/11/13
+1 on the 1:25 ratio of unhappy/happy customers.

It seems some folks are just out for blood or something. TC apologized, addressed the problem, provided a solution, set the expectation. What else is there?

To be clear, my original complaint was never about wait times. My complaint was with the complete lack of communication and ignoring several emails. I'm not saying I would have sent it in anyway had I known about the wait (I would not have) but the information TC provided here is the first communication I've gotten since I sent it back nearly 2 months ago. It's one thing to know that it will be a few more weeks but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It's completely another to have no information whatsoever and receive no reply to several emails and to get PMs from other members with the same story. That is the situation I was in before today. He has addressed this and I hope it doesn't happen to someone else but it is unfortunate that it took a forum post and/or help ticket to get a response.

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
That's good of TC to come out and inform us all that the problems are being handled by the movement maker. I am a great fan of TC's watches as I have not seen anything better !

ColPanic

Supporter
Certified
17/11/13
Just buy the ETA replacement parts and change them. It's simple 15 minute job with the only tool needed is a jewelers screwdriver.

There are two jeweled gears that comprise the set and it's normally the more expensive one that breaks so you might as well replacement them both. As I recall the set of two are about $25 from Ofrei or Cousins.

ETA part # 1488 and 1530

Didn't TC say they tried replacing the gears but that there are matching problems and they just break again? That tells me that on this particular 2824 you can't simply substitute ETA parts.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I read that statement as he was replacing them with parts from his supplier or other of his movements. I doubt he's going out and buying expensive ETA parts for his movements. That would get expensive in a hurry.

I have one of his movements and I've never tried it since it works great, but I haven't seen an Asian clone yet that didn't take ETA replacement gears.

gbxx

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/14
To be clear, my original complaint was never about wait times. My complaint was with the complete lack of communication and ignoring several emails. I'm not saying I would have sent it in anyway had I known about the wait (I would not have) but the information TC provided here is the first communication I've gotten since I sent it back nearly 2 months ago. It's one thing to know that it will be a few more weeks but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It's completely another to have no information whatsoever and receive no reply to several emails and to get PMs from other members with the same story. That is the situation I was in before today. He has addressed this and I hope it doesn't happen to someone else but it is unfortunate that it took a forum post and/or help ticket to get a response.

My comment wasn't directed toward you. There were a few posts after that seemed a like they were stirring the pot.

Expectation management and communication can be delicate... I usually error on the side of overpromising and under delivering. But then we judge others on their actions, not intentions....

I'm glad that TC posted this information about the movements and the delays. I'm sure it helps others in the same position as you. And, as I said before. I hope it all works out for the best.

gmg_3

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/14
I would be upset if I did not here anything from tc in two months but ppl have the same issue with sending watchs back to china. I think the moral of the story is the same as with a new watch from a TD. Take your watch to a local watchmaker or board modder instead of waiting all this time. I would rather spend $30-75 and have my watch. This is all part of the game.

ColPanic

Supporter
Certified
17/11/13
I would be upset if I did not here anything from tc in two months but ppl have the same issue with sending watchs back to china. .

Really? I've never heard of a trusted dealer ignoring emails for months after they've received a return. I don't think they would stay "trusted" for long if they did. You can not compare the time it may take to send a watch back through Chinese customs with this situation. Totally different situations.

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
Really? I've never heard of a trusted dealer ignoring emails for months after they've received a return. I don't think they would stay "trusted" for long if they did. You can not compare the time it may take to send a watch back through Chinese customs with this situation. Totally different situations.

Mate I agree with you.and anyone who thinks tc builds these watches now as a hobby is seriously deluded.this is only one site among many places these watches are sold through and I personally would expect any problem to be repaired in a timely manner given the costs involved.remember too some of us are in countries with low valued currencies and little access to watch smiths and modders at resasonble prices let alone the skills and tools required to change parts over.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
I couldn't give a F what someone pays for or what value someone place on an object. My point of saying overpriced is simple, its a F'ing rep and members pay a big premium for these reps. When you pay a big premium you expect a fair amount of CS to go along with your product or service, thats common sense. Ignoring customers is BS, not giving any explanation or acknowledgement to a customer is outrageous, and having a customer have no other choice but to go to a public outlet to be heard and answered is F'ing bad business, no its horrible business.

No one is so busy they can't respond to an email, we're not talking a couple days or even weeks, no this is months of waiting and not even being acknowledged, its just ridiculous really.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06

For months.