• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TC sub finally arrived!

watchfaker

26/12/10
It looks very good overall. Construction is nice. However it definitely needs a pearl mod or a gen bezel. I did notice that the mag of the date looks a bit larger than my franken BK TW sub's mag with the gen crystal. The lume is good but it seems that the second's hand is not as bright as the others.

Anyhow this one has the 2824 movement with the V2 bracelet. The bracelet is quite nice. The clasp has the same engravings as my WM9 clasp. It also has a slight springy action on the clasp and all joints are firm and smooth.

Here's a few pictures of the watch (bracelet resized). I will do a more detailed review this weekend.
oax7a.jpg

3kiuI.jpg

NquiN.jpg

845a7.jpg

Svme3.jpg

7FtBJ.jpg

watchfaker

26/12/10
Bk better watch out lol. What was the Price range ?

I wouldn't say that about BK's sub. I think overall at this point the BK TW is still better rep out of the box (although the bracelet on the TC sub is better). Anyhow this was $500, not sure if this is an intro price or what not.

waterluver

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/7/11
"It looks very good overall. Construction is nice. However it definitely needs a pearl mod or a gen bezel. I did notice that the mag of the date looks a bit larger than my franken BK TW sub's mag with the gen crystal. The lume is good but it seems that the second's hand is not as bright as the others."

Needs new pearl, mag is off. and lume on second hand not as bright and a 2824 movement all for $500??? am i missing something here? Price seems a bit high for this. Am I wrong or have I lost touch with reality?

watchfaker

26/12/10
"It looks very good overall. Construction is nice. However it definitely needs a pearl mod or a gen bezel. I did notice that the mag of the date looks a bit larger than my franken BK TW sub's mag with the gen crystal. The lume is good but it seems that the second's hand is not as bright as the others."

Needs new pearl, mag is off. and lume on second hand not as bright and a 2824 movement all for $500??? am i missing something here? Price seems a bit high for this. Am I wrong or have I lost touch with reality?
Pearl is never correct on any rep watch. As for the mag, it can be better, it definitely appears darker than my franken TW which has a gen crystal, but I don't know how this compares to a stock TW from BK. The 2824 movement is used due to the construction of the case. BK's TW uses the 2836 since it doesn't take gen movement.

I asked TC about the second hand, he'll send me a spare one for replacement.

I wouldn't say the price is high, definitely worth it over the $400 SA3135 that most dealers are selling.

soren

27/7/08
I almost agree abouth bk. Just Nice to see others make a decent watch not just a noob version

tagman26

2/1/11
Wow... Hard to beat the BK TW sub. Mine gets a lot of wrist time and dead spot on to the gen IMO.

The TC isn't bad at all. Great looking watch.

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
Congrats on being part of the TC Sub debut. It looks pretty good.
Any idea which crystal this uses ?? Could be the cyclop but is most likely the DW font. So....an "out of the box Ultimate" Sub that needs an immediate pearl (or insert) swap, a DW overlay or another crystal/cyclop swap and a second hand swap (if in fact the replacement solves the issue)...and then will the pearl lume (either WM or gen insert) match the dial/hands??.....for 500.00 ??? Seems to me the extra cost of the BK (that needs none of this) is still a better bargain....unless of course you're planning to swap mvts to drop a gen dial in it( or clipe and mover/remove gen dial feet) and the .5mm crown height difference is an issue for you.
I agree with tagman...the BK TW is hard to beat. And my Franken TW gets all the wrist time...it's become my daily beater...24/7

bklm1234

Known Member
Trusted Dealer
5/10/09
Very impressive already for $500. I hope I can source this v4 head and components too. My source got me a v3 with clear rehaut (because I just don't like rehaut engraving). I told him to try to get a v serial because that's a higher chance that it's the updated wm9 v4 head. The SELs look the same as the wm9 v3 bracelet with the SEL overly long (as easily seen in the second last pic). The TW sub's SEL is shorter, more correct. All in all the v4 head is a significant advancement in sub rep history.

bk

woof*

Renowned Member
25/12/10
Very impressive already for $500. I hope I can source this v4 head and components too. My source got me a v3 with clear rehaut (because I just don't like rehaut engraving). I told him to try to get a v serial because that's a higher chance that it's the updated wm9 v4 head. The SELs look the same as the wm9 v3 bracelet with the SEL overly long (as easily seen in the second last pic). The TW sub's SEL is shorter, more correct. All in all the v4 head is a significant advancement in sub rep history.

bk
I hope you can too BK, with your mods and quality control... it would be outstanding.

watchfaker

26/12/10
Congrats on being part of the TC Sub debut. It looks pretty good.
Any idea which crystal this uses ?? Could be the cyclop but is most likely the DW font. So....an "out of the box Ultimate" Sub that needs an immediate pearl (or insert) swap, a DW overlay or another crystal/cyclop swap and a second hand swap (if in fact the replacement solves the issue)...and then will the pearl lume (either WM or gen insert) match the dial/hands??.....for 500.00 ??? Seems to me the extra cost of the BK (that needs none of this) is still a better bargain....unless of course you're planning to swap mvts to drop a gen dial in it( or clipe and mover/remove gen dial feet) and the .5mm crown height difference is an issue for you.
I agree with tagman...the BK TW is hard to beat. And my Franken TW gets all the wrist time...it's become my daily beater...24/7

Not sure what crystal it has. It doesn't have the etching at 6'o clock. I say the mag is off because the magnification looks darker than what I see on my franken TW which has a gen crystal.

The DWO is actually very good, I would say more embossed and glossier than the BK DWO.

The bezel insert is never perfect on any rep, regardless rather its a BK/WM9 or this TC. The seconds hand issue isn't a big deal, but only noticeable in very dark room (TC agreed to send me an extra seconds hand). I do have a franken BK TW, and for the money this TC sub is a good alternative to a stock BK TW. When you add in gen parts for either TC or TW models, you don't end up saving too much. Goes to your point, if you plan on installing gen dial, movement (gen or SA3135), or the difference in crown height is an issue.

I have also installed a gen bezel insert, it snaps into place.

Here's a couple of pics with gen insert installed:
X7kJ4.jpg

7zqoT.jpg

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
It really looks great, congrats.

I just don't see why this should be bought over a BK TW Best.

Cons over TW Sub
-Possibly needs new DW Overlay or crystal. I don't know about you but to me a DW is one of the most glaring problems if it is not perfect.
-Needs WM pearl (or similar and so does the TW!)
-Has rehaut engraving which is certainly a personal preference but a negative to me (is there an option for no rehaut engraving at no cost?)
-Is it waterproofed? Does it have the attention to detail like the BK TW Sub does?

Pros over TW Sub
+Great Bracelet!!! (but you can just buy one for $40 or so from TC)
+Crown Height (is this a big deal??) Is the case/movement any better than a TW in any other way?
+Cheaper ($500 vs. $660 but what about those mods that are needed)

Personally I rather spend a little extra on a TW Sub, and buy a v2 bracelet from TC until all the nooks and crannies are perfected. Sure the TW Sub has a non-lumed pearl but PBdad has been working on a fix for that.

I do look forward to more TC Sub builds, but for now I am going to play it safe with my TW Sub :) I already put in an order today for the TC Bracelet. I just have to wait a few weeks for it as per TC

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
watchfaker...That right there is a plus over any 16610 rep yet.....you "snapped in" a gen insert without having to shave the crystal ring and the bottom of the insert. That's impressive. !! Please don't misunderstand me...the TC does indeed look the part and you've just heard from BK himself.....he'd be the one to know. But then again, you have the honor of putting this next to a Franken TW...no one else we've heard from can say that. (and that's awesome).

SOLEX put that post rather nicely. As I said...don't misunderstand me..the TC looks to be among the best and has much potential. Having a Franken TW at the moment, and having had Franken BK WM9 v2's, v3's and a couple MBW's (stock) along the way, SOLEX couldn't have put it any better...I'm a patient guy and I'm going to "play it safe" with my TW while the experts here work out all the kinks......And again...as I've said before..the "perfect rep 16610" is inevitable...it's only a matter a time. Excellent job on the gen insert...now drop a gen crystal on that puppy and see how it looks. Just my preferrence...a gen crystal is a must.

watchfaker

26/12/10
It really looks great, congrats.

I just don't see why this should be bought over a BK TW Best.

Cons over TW Sub
-Possibly needs new DW Overlay or crystal. I don't know about you but to me a DW is one of the most glaring problems if it is not perfect.
-Needs WM pearl (or similar and so does the TW!)
-Has rehaut engraving which is certainly a personal preference but a negative to me (is there an option for no rehaut engraving at no cost?)
-Is it waterproofed? Does it have the attention to detail like the BK TW Sub does?

Pros over TW Sub
+Great Bracelet!!! (but you can just buy one for $40 or so from TC)
+Crown Height (is this a big deal??) Is the case/movement any better than a TW in any other way?
+Cheaper ($500 vs. $660 but what about those mods that are needed)

Personally I rather spend a little extra on a TW Sub, and buy a v2 bracelet from TC until all the nooks and crannies are perfected. Sure the TW Sub has a non-lumed pearl but PBdad has been working on a fix for that.

I do look forward to more TC Sub builds, but for now I am going to play it safe with my TW Sub :) I already put in an order today for the TC Bracelet. I just have to wait a few weeks for it as per TC

After owning it for a day, here are some cons/pros against vs a BK TW (building off your list/revising):

Cons over TW Sub
- Needs taller crystal gasket; it appears to sit lower. At first I thought it was due to the TC insert being taller. Now that the gen insert is installed, the crystal is noticeably lower than my TW w/ gen crystal.
- Bezel teeth is not as deep. It took a while for me to notice the difference at first.
- Indexes at 12, 6 and 9 has the same width surrounding as the round ones

Pros over TW Sub
+ Great Bracelet & clasp (although SEL piece is longer than it should)
+ Nice CG shape without further modifications (also covers the crown at the right position)
+ Crown Height
+ Ability to accept gen movement, dial or SA3135
+ Ability to accept gen insert without modification - snaps right in
+ Cheaper (if you're planning on adding gen parts this is more of a neutral point)
+ Superlumed dial - lume appears to be more flat. The PBdad relumed TW dial has a bit of dome shape

Neutral:
/ DWO; the DWO on the TC appears to have a nicer embossed and glossier finish. It is also aligned perfectly from what I've seen.
/ Insert quality/pearl - I can't comment on this but from pictures, the TW pearl sure looks nicer than the pearl on the TC sub. However, if you want it to be close to the gen a gen insert is needed regardless.
/ Rehaut engraving - a bit deeper (bolder) than what my gen GMT IIc has, but I'm planning to sand it down a bit and give it a light polish. I personally like the engravings :-D
/ It is water proof - I have showered with it but I don't know which has better resistance. To me both of these have gen like construction so I would say the TC would fair just as well as the TW if not better.

So far, I would say the pearl is the only glaring flaw. The mag over the DW isn't bad at all, but it does look worse against my TW with the gen crystal. So I can't comment on it vs the stock TW crystal.

rsh

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/4/10
Do you know if he used a 2.0 or 1.8 mm crystal ?

watchfaker

26/12/10
Do you know if he used a 2.0 or 1.8 mm crystal ?
No idea, I'm planning on taking it apart this weekend and compare it to the franken TW... Not sure if crystal height is due to the height of crystal or gasket. I do however notice the "dark ring" more on the TW vs the TC.