• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tag Link Chrono - witch one ?

Zebulon

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/4/07
Witch of these 2 Tag Link Chrono is the best rep.

If it was your first buy of a Tag, witch one would you choose ?
Both are Asia 7750 Valjoux Working Chronograph movement, 28800bph

The old model

tc1.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i94/r ... 536125.jpg

or the new one

tc2.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s268 ... 003605.jpg

crumpdaddy

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/06
I've not seen the gen in the polished bezel, but the polished bezel one is spot on. I get MANY compliments on it.

And I do feel guilty at times. :oops:

oh well! :p

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
I really prefer the larger 9:00 subdial on the old version. The tachymeter markings on the bezel looks much nicer too. I do not like the new version at all.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Actually this poll is all wrong. The "polished bezel" version is the newer rep model which is pictured above. The other one is the "brushed bezel" version, and it's the older rep model. It used to have a bad date font but apparently it has been fixed.

Both are quite accurate, TAG makes 2 different variations of the Link Chrono... but the polished bezel version is more accurate (the one that have tachymeter numbers on the bezel). According to reports of a few people the blue dial is also much closer to the gen than the grey one.

Check this one (if you already didn't):
http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5774

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
Yes, but there are 2 versions. The old one with the large seconds subdial, and the new one with 3 equal size subdials. I like the old one.

Zebulon

5/4/07
By-Tor said:
Actually this poll is all wrong. The "polished bezel" version is the newer rep model which is pictured above. The other one is the "brushed bezel" version, and it's the older rep model. It used to have a bad date font but apparently it has been fixed.

Both are quite accurate, TAG makes 2 different variations of the Link Chrono... but the polished bezel version is more accurate (the one that have tachymeter numbers on the bezel). According to reports of a few people the blue dial is also much closer to the gen than the grey one.

Check this one (if you already didn't):
hxxp://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5774

Sorry By_tor, you are right. I've made an inversion on the title of the 2 models in the post. I have corrected as Old model with polished bezel and New model with brushed bezel.
I've seen you wonderfull review, I took it as exemple for calling 'brushed or polished', following your pics of the good or wrong models.

I do admit that I prefer the design of the old model, as in your review. I find it smoother. I'd like to buy this watch for wearing everydays.

crumpdaddy

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/06
Hence the reason I only posted my comments - because I saw that the poll was wrong.

Again, go polished!

caravaggio

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/6/06
For $250 more you can have my genuine Link

hrg92082

27/1/07
Based on By-Tors fantastic review, I just got the polished bezel version with blue dial as a gift for my brother and I think it is absolutely amazing, probably one of my favorite reps yet. Ours came from Joshua and I give it 2 thumbs up!

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
paneraifreak said:

Are you sure? 500 bucks for Chrono Link? Means Tag only retains 30% of its value.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
takashi said:
paneraifreak said:

Are you sure? 500 bucks for Chrono Link? Means Tag only retains 30% of its value.

Prolly the non-chrono quartz version. No way anyone's dumb enough to sell the gen automatic Link Chrono for $500. ;)

who2R

Known Member
9/3/07
I like the one with Polish bezel......it's my next target. :wink:

caravaggio

Banned
13/6/06
By-Tor said:
takashi said:
paneraifreak said:

Prolly the non-chrono quartz version. No way anyone's dumb enough to sell the gen automatic Link Chrono for $500. ;)

Exactly what By-Tor said.

Link quartz.

I am yet to understand what most pencil pushers, office rates and surface dewllers want a chronograph for??

Most of us dont deep dive, we dont skydive everyday, we dont race a Formula One car...why do we need such complicated watches with all the gadgets, beels, whistles, twinkling light and beeping buttons??

Are we that pathetic of wannabes that we stubbornly seek the elusive chrono???

I am a true realist i guess...i am perfectly happy with my simple analogue three hand watches...In my simple life all i ever need is a watch that tell me what time it is but with a little bit of style and some comfort on the wrist. NO big chunky, monstrous metallic concuction of hard steel and hefty weight....
Just a watch....................

:roll:

Sylar

Banned
17/1/07
I like the new one best. The brushed bezel and bracelet looks better.

As far as the chronos go its just for looks. Looks good on some watches and bad on others. Its a matter of preference always.

watchlover

I'm Pretty Popular
28/9/06
@Zebulon:

BTW, for an extra 1500, you can get a GEN Tag Chrono link with an unmodified Swiss 7750.
..if you can't live with the minute inaccuracies that is ;)

I had mine serviced by Ziggy for 300 washingtons, and it keeps time too well within COSC boundaries, makes me wonder why COSC certification is even valuable...
..thank God I don't need to dive, so this is good enough for me... maybe just surfing--the web that is ;)

..as for the chrono, it is useful in timing meetings and speeches... I'll find some use for the tachymeter.. gimme some time okay ;)

sorry I'm obsessed. You don't have to be.. I don't want to push my ideals onto you...... yet :twisted: :twisted: (psst, get the polished tag link ;) )

Zebulon

5/4/07
Watchlover - thanks for your 'suggestion' I will get the polished. :D

Paneraifreak - You are right, a chrono is not very usefull, and more over on a lot of model, it makes more difficult to read the dial at a glance.
On the polished version, I find the dial very well done and easy to read.

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
Polished one ALL THE WAY~! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

amedman

27/7/06
While its certainly personal preference, I love the Link with grey faced brushed case. I actually went to the AD and compared it side by side with genuine and the only difference is the date font. Really there is no other difference and the AD was so impressed she let me try on a Carrera and gave me a TAG catalog were this exact Link is displayed in a full 8 x 10 page. IMHO, this watch is understated and elegant making it the perfect office watch.

mobitz ii

11/11/06
gen vs rep

Does anyone have a face on view of the gen. The gen I saw at the dealer seemed to have a smaller seconds font than the rep. Ive tried to find a side by side comparison in the archives, but cant find one.