• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tag Heuer - Tiger Woods from Silix - Strap Question

kel

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/3/06
I bought the Tiger Woods Tag Heuer from Silix

http://www.silixwatch.com/product.asp?id=718

IMO it is nicer than their web picture makes it look. The coloring on the face in particular I was worried about, but in real life it is quite nice.

I'll post pictures later.

2 Questions that hopefully someone can help with.

1) To remove links from the strap, it looks like I have to remove super tiny screws that hold in the links. They make the screws on a Rolex strap look huge. The smallest screwdriver in my "hobby set" isn't small enough. Does anyone know if it makes sense to buy a jewellers screwdriver and try to take them out myself or should I go to a jeweller to have it adjusted. I guess I'm worried that the "tiny" screws won't some out to easy and I might strip the screws and/or screwdriver.

That said, I would like to do it myself. If anyone has experience doing with this Rep/strap and knows that it do-able, I'd appreciate hearing it.

2) The first link of the strap, where it mounts to the body of the watch, doesn't pivot although it looks like it should. As such, the first link sticks out quite wide on the watch. Again, if anyone has dealt with this rep (or similar Tag reps) I'd appreciate hearing whether that is normal, or whether the first link can be unscrewed, repositioned and screwed down again.

Thanks for your time everybody.....

Tink131

16/3/06
I can't answer your question about your Tag (nice watch BTW), but I work in a jewelry store and size bracelets once in a while. My first rep was a Rolex that I got just last week- actually 2: one for me and one for my husband. The screws were a bit difficult- some were already stripped, but I managed to be able to size them both properly. I had to work under a gemscope as my eyes aren't the best- it made it much easier, it also helped me decide which screws I could actually get to turn. Does your bracelet really have screws all the way to the watch?? I find that unusual. Normally you have a few removable links for sizing down by the clasp and that's all. I've done a few before and still put a couple of scratches on a link or two (not noticable to the naked eye). Unless there is someone out there with this watch or maybe Redbigjoe (post this in watch repair section) could give you a better answer, I would probably take it to a jeweler- preferrably one that doesn't know watches too well as some think it unethical to work on a rep- or you could just phone them ahead of time and ask if they would size a bracelet on a replica Tag.

Our store only charges $5 to size a watch purchased elsewhere.

Reactions: Sharpmind

kel

17/3/06
Tink131 said:
I can't answer your question about your Tag (nice watch BTW), but I work in a jewelry store and size bracelets once in a while. My first rep was a Rolex that I got just last week- actually 2: one for me and one for my husband. The screws were a bit difficult- some were already stripped, but I managed to be able to size them both properly. I had to work under a gemscope as my eyes aren't the best- it made it much easier, it also helped me decide which screws I could actually get to turn. Does your bracelet really have screws all the way to the watch?? I find that unusual. Normally you have a few removable links for sizing down by the clasp and that's all. I've done a few before and still put a couple of scratches on a link or two (not noticable to the naked eye). Unless there is someone out there with this watch or maybe Redbigjoe (post this in watch repair section) could give you a better answer, I would probably take it to a jeweler- preferrably one that doesn't know watches too well as some think it unethical to work on a rep- or you could just phone them ahead of time and ask if they would size a bracelet on a replica Tag.

Our store only charges $5 to size a watch purchased elsewhere.

My description may not have been great.

The Tag Rep has a number of removable links near the clasp, with little arrows on the back indicating on which side are the screwheads.

The mid links are not removable.

The link closest to the watch is frozen to the watch, and juts out quite far. It looks like it should rotate.

Unlike the picture on silixwatch the watch body does have holes through where the strap is joined to the watch. It's hard for me to tell whether it is a screw holding the strap to the watch or a compressible pin. I've tried pushing a nail through the hole to compress the pin, but there doesn't feel like there is any give...... Once my "free stuff" jewelers loupe :D arrives, maybe I'll be able to tell by looking whether it is a screw holding on the strap.

Thanks for the input about the sizing

krustybrand

17/3/06
Your description with the arrows on the back indicates they are pins, not screws. The end that looks like a tiny screw head is the split end of the pin and you push them out in the direction of that end (push them from the other end). You may want to get the correct tool for the job, or you can damage the finish on the links.

kel

17/3/06
krustybrand said:
Your description with the arrows on the back indicates they are pins, not screws. The end that looks like a tiny screw head is the split end of the pin and you push them out in the direction of that end (push them from the other end). You may want to get the correct tool for the job, or you can damage the finish on the links.

Aha. I thought they were awfully tiny looking screws.

Thanks for the advice. I found a tool for sale on e-bay and will be buying it.

Any guesses on whether the strap is held to the body of the watch with the same kind of pins ?

There's no room for a spring pin tool to get in behind it, so I'm assuming I have to push through the holes somehow.

Forgive me if my questions are a bit noob'ish. I've never before owned a watch that didn't have the standard spring pins holding on the strap.

krustybrand

17/3/06
It's possible that the attachment for the band to case is also split pins. Look closely under magnification. That will tell you for sure. If so, you can use the pointy end of a spring bar tool to push them out. You shouldn't need to though. Leave them alone unless there is a compelling need to remove the band altogether.

In a pinch, I have used an aluminum paper clip, straightened, gripped about 1cm from the end with a sturdy pair of needle nose pliers to push split pins out. Aluminum won't damage the pins or bracelet and if you use a piece of thin card to shield the bracelet links from the inevitable contact of the pliers to the link end piece when the pin lets loose suddenly, you will be just fine.

kel

17/3/06
I used the paperclip with lockjaw pliers trick, and it was pretty easy to get the split pins out.

I have no idea what holds the strap to the case though. Whatever is in those holes doesn't want to move.

I don't know if this is a fantasy rep, or not but I'm a Tiger Woods fan and I am very happy with the watch.

tag16if.jpg

tag22gb.jpg

The strap not pivoting at the watch case. If anyone has experience with this Rep and knows whether the strap can be made to pivot where it joins the case, I would sure like to hear about it
tag0135copy4dj.jpg

:lol:

sonystyle

8/6/06
Hi

Can you please take a picture of the back of the watch so we can see the lugs from behind...

Oh, and if you want more advice post on TZ or a gen forum, Im sure lots of people have this similar watch in gen...but just dont post a picture of your watch...