• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Swiss? Japanese? Asian?

• Thread starter d4m.test
  • Start date
D

d4m.test

First off, hello everyone. I'm wondering if people on this forum are aware of the myth of replica watch origin.
It's very unfortunate that this myth is still being told.
I ran a very successful replica watch business on-line for 9+ years. It was the longest standing replica site on the internet.
I purchased thousands of replicas from many sources, mainly directly from China.
When watches are sold as being "Swiss" or even "Japanese", the only parts really made/assembled in those countries are the movements. Everything else (case, bracelet, etc.) is manufactured in China! That's not to say there aren't excellent copies available from China, quite the contrary, actually.
I own several replicas in my own collection (go figure?) and have all examples. While the Swiss movement watches cost me twice as much as Japanese movement watches, they are no more accurate or long lasting. As to these qualities, I have owned many replicas over 9 years that still give me excellent service.
There are many beautiful replica watches available and the quality is better now than ever before but it amazes and infuriates me when I read ads that refer to watches being made in Japan, much less Switzerland! Let's keep it honest, shall we?

If this information is well know here, I apologize for appearing to be a "know it all", but, it's never-the-less very important for anyone considering ownership of a replica watch to know. :wink:

erd04056

Renowned Member
2/4/06
Yeah, I heard that the watches can be considered "Swiss" if any part was ever assembled in that country. ANY PART.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
collector said:
First off, hello everyone. I'm wondering if people on this forum are aware of the myth of replica watch origin.
Hi, welcome to the site.

I hope this is not just a plug for your site that sells Japanese-movemented watches ... :D

D

d4m.test

No. don't concern yourself about that :lol:
I was in the business for many years but, as with everyone, "they" finally caught up to me. :x It's not like I wasn't expecting them though :lol:
Anyway, selling replica watches is in the past for me.
I got out cheaply, considering what they could have done and I have no intention of going back again. I now sell motorcycle parts and it's completely legit so I can advertise all I want to. The profit margin is far less but the stress is too so I'm happy.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome! :D

timer

Horology Curious
24/4/06
collector, thanks for the info. I'm new to this site too and so far I have found quite a bit of good information.

DrmMaster

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
2/1/06
Yes its pretty much well knowm here that Anything (Swiss) is only refering to the movement!...But thanks for the info...And im sure some New people may find it usefull..Nothing here is sold as swiss made....just Swiss movement...

Roeod4

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/3/06
Welcome Collector, glad you could join us.

It is known here that there are plenty of scam sites offering "swiss made" replicas, but that does not happen here. We have of he a wonderful group of honest dealers that offer the best that comes out of China.

Haveing been in the sales end I am sure you be pleasantly surprised at what they have to offer.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
good business. Motorcycle parts... That is very popular in my home country too... Make more money than selling rep watched :p

D

d4m.test

I must say you are a refreshing group!
Nice to "chat" with others that really know the replica watch business.
In the past when I had visited replica watch forums, I found a bunch of self proclaimed experts that really had no idea what they were talking about. Whenever I've checked out replica websites (now just out of curiosity), I'm appalled by the false claims presented.
If any of you remember Unrealwatch.com, you're aware I always presented only factual information. At that time I was the only seller of replica watches on the internet giving accurate information! What about these sites that claim sapphire crystals and 26 jewels for every watch they sell? We know some watches have these elements but unless a watch is received with a sapphire sticker attached to the crystal, how does anyone really know? Same for the number of jewels, unless you take one apart. Then, you'd need to disassemble a sample of every watch! When I asked my supplier in China, they pretty much avoided those questions. Later I was able to ascertain they just didn't know the answers themselves. Maybe some of you have more knowledgeable sources? We always claimed "mineral glass crystals" and "jewelled Japanese made movements". I was at least sure of those statements.

D

d4m.test

takashi said:
... Motorcycle parts... That is very popular in my home country too... Make more money than selling rep watched :p

Uhh, I don't know about that, my friend.
There's big money to be made selling replica watches!
Motorcycle parts is also lucrative as well though, so I'm not complaining. :wink:

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Hmmm yeah.. There's an FAQ section. Take a look at it. It may have answers for most of your questions. Like Sapphire vs. Mineral glass. We don't even believe that Swiss Movement are really made in Swiss :lol: It's all made in China mate!

Roeod4

14/3/06
We tend to put everything through the ringer here. We want to make sure that it is the best available and when I say we, I mean the members. Most every rep has flaws, but the dealers try to work with the factories/suppliers to make sure everything is as accurate as possible.

Most of the dealers we deal with are located in Asia and actually handle what they are selling. They are also collectors themselves, a lot of them. This helps a lot.

I am sure you can see the difference in the appearance of the Rolexs you used to sell and what is available now. The improvements are amazing and most of this happened in the last year.

It is a good time for reps.

D

d4m.test

Roeod4 said:
I am sure you can see the difference in the appearance of the Rolexs you used to sell and what is available now. The improvements are amazing and most of this happened in the last year.

It is a good time for reps.

Yeah, I just recently purchased a new green sub and have been impressed with the improvements in quality! I remember just how elated I was when solid stainless steel replicas became available! I know that dates me though :lol: I guess there's still a lot of stainless plated brass junk being sold though.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
@collecter: hey yeah!!! I got such brass plated with SS Yatchmaster in SZ. They cost like 75 RMB :p That is almost 2 years ago.

D

d4m.test

I was buying and selling solid stainless steel replicas 8 years ago.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
Self proclaimed "experts".

collector said:
I must say you are a refreshing group!
Nice to "chat" with others that really know the replica watch business.
In the past when I had visited replica watch forums, I found a bunch of self proclaimed experts that really had no idea what they were talking about.

I got a good laugh about the self proclaimed watch experts. When I first began to frequent some of the "other" forums, I decided to try something. So, I told everyone that I ordered an LV sub from a dealer, and I posted some pictures to get opinions. I got the usual crown guard comments, comments about the color of the bezel, comments about the text on the dial, I was told the pearl was bad, etc. So, what was odd about that? Well, I posted pictures of a genuine Rolex LV. That told me exactly what these "experts" were about.

Roeod4

14/3/06
It is easy to pick apart a Rolex, even if it is a gen. Everyone has that perfect picture of a sub in their mind or they find a single picture and they look at every detail to find the flaws and this is their comparison. No one thinks about the fact that Rolex has had these things on the market for decades. There are tons of variations and that is only talking about the ones that have all gen parts. Think about how many variations there are when people start adding aftermarket bezels or dials.

I remember a post on RWG were some guy was getting all upset because the text for SWISS MADE went over 5 ticks or under 5 ticks or only over 3 ticks, the guy was obcessed. He had a comparison with about 5 or 6 pictures in it and was so upset that no one could tell him which one was right. Now that I think about it, there were 2 threads by 2 different people on the subject.