• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Swimming with time piece?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I picked up a water resistance tester on eBay and I just check mine in the spring. I've not had an issue and as if now, I've tested most of my collection without any failure. I swim in them all the time as well as shower. I will not test my Datora as the gen is not waterproof. I've got one out to a watchsmith now as it was missing the caseback gasket when I got it.

efthimis

Mythical Poster
20/6/15
As I said before I tested my CrPO from Noob and passed the 6atm tester in watchsmith's with flying colors.. He just gave the case back half a spin with his tool and experienced skills.. This means that the watch is good for diving not only swimming, imaging he had behind his back a huge winder with like 60 Rolies all gen and half of then being gold or TT so I believe his gear was trustworthy

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

zafod999

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/10
One of the TDs made me laugh once. When asked if one of the watches they sell really was waterproof to 50m he answered:

"50m water resistance = watch will be ok for a 50m dash in the rain."

I regularly wear my Noobs (LMPO and SubC) when swimming/snorkelling and have never had a problem. Just always make sure that the case back is firmly on and the crown is screwed down tight and don't forget to give it a good rinse/wash/dry in fresh water afterwards. Best to get it pressure tested before immersing it in water for the first time though.

XAD

Renowned Member
15/8/16
Yes sir, I wear any watch besides a DJ and DD into the pool!

By the way, exposure to environments such as chlorinated pools, salt water, or soaps from showering can accelerate the drying of your watch gaskets. If the watch is frequently exposed to chlorinated pools, soaps, salt water, etc., we used to recommend that the gaskets be changed on a yearly basis. Since finding someone to service a rep can be a pest, you may want to think twice about pools.

Also, the extreme heat of jacuzzi's can cause differential expansion in watches (different materials expand at different rates when exposed to heat) and that can also lead to more leaks and more problems.

BTW, the term “waterproof” was discontinued (at least in the USA) starting in the late 1960’s. When I was selling for a Rolex AD in the 70's you'd get written up if caught using it (or even if you failed to correct a customer when *he* used it). This change was brought about from several government organizations, including the Federal Trade Commission, who were investigating truthfulness and accuracy of product labeling and advertising.

Colors

Known Member
20/10/16
6eb15616cfe7399d2680e07a674c990b.jpg

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

btruijens

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/9/16
Look guys, if I go swimming and such it is rough business. Why would I take an expensive watch? Why not a simple diver on steel or with the rubber on? Leather strapped watches are landlubbers to me. So that thins it out for my 20 plus collection.
da3fb45365b456ea87cf90cc25b9a015.jpg

Yeah, you know the watch... don't you?

alafranjin

Known Member
11/3/16
California
For those of you who purchased a tester, which is better - the ECO-WORTHY or the U.S. Solids brand?

Sent from the RWI mobile app

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
talking bout legibility underwater, i found my blue pelagos to be ok whereas seadweller and AP diver to be magnificent

When i get my pam569 back i'll give it a try but I suspect it'll be superb

Repguy

Renowned Member
31/12/13
I avoid getting any of my reps wet, so no swimming for them. Most of the reps I purchased claim water resistance up to 50m, but I don't want to take the chance of ruining one based on that information alone

zethunder

I'm Pretty Popular
9/8/16
Look guys, if I go swimming and such it is rough business. Why would I take an expensive watch? Why not a simple diver on steel or with the rubber on? Leather strapped watches are landlubbers to me. So that thins it out for my 20 plus collection.

Seiko Pepsi is one of my favorite watches of all time. You really can't go with it. Gorgeous dial, fantastic bezel (and the way it rotates is simply fantastic) and a bullet proof movement. I think it is one of the best bang for the buck out there. It's quality surpasses all of my reps even some of my my mid-high grade Swiss autos

bvman

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/4/14
I swim with all my reps, now I'm not diving with them but a few minutes in the pool here and there.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
I am lucky I have a local watchmaker who does my bits and bobs for me. It took me a while to find him but now he gets worried if he does not see me at least once a month. I get most of my watches tested (Gaskets replaced if needs be) €10-€15 as a matter of habit. I rarely swim with them though so a bit of a waste but just a habit. Most reps have been good to go but not all, even some from the same batch can be different. So if you are going to do it, test them.

sbjb93

I'm Pretty Popular
27/5/15

Yes perfect but I prefer the skx013 on the rubber band for swimming
f8f8e6a6142676323d2b23a1d0d69cdc.jpg

e2cd12b2600f0941553bb358ed73218f.jpg

It's not what I do it's who I am

semban

Known Member
11/3/16
used my PO from watchoutlet (former watchstation) in my pool, in the ocean and water-funpark. No problemo so far...

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
it's whether it will last for those 40/45minutes of dive imho the biggest concern