• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Submariner 16610 Buying Guide

• Thread starter d4m.test
  • Start date
D

d4m.test

<$200 canon A610, all the shooting modes P, AP, SP, and M. Can even do manual focus. Not your ordinary point-n-shoot.

-bk

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
this is getting better and better!!!

THIS BETTER BE A STICKY!!!!!!!!

D

d4m.test

Thank you for your support. I have fun writing this.

-bk

wtchlvr

Known Member
14/11/06
We need more post like this. Great Job, your knowledge is a great asset to this forum. This should be the first post under the Rolex section.

w2ge

4/12/06
I said it before and will say it again, GREAT POST. Can't believe the macro on that camera. I have the Canon S2IS (certainly UP in the food chain from your model) and it's macro SUCKZ BALLS.

butterfly

30/12/06
Thanks for the info!! Very informative and detailed analysis. Much appreciated.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Great review.

A couple of points: The rehaut isn't right on any rep. The TW/MBW rehaut is 2.1mm vs the 1.8 of the noob, if I've remembered right. Sure, we're talking about 0.1mm here, but it's visible.

The other point is the position of the crown. It's rare to see a replica Sub with the crown bang in the middle of the case. This is due to the movement placement. Because we don't have Rolex movements, we're stuck with the ETA stem position, which if its in the centre, makes the rehaut too shallow and the date mag completely off.

Until rep factories use the ETA 2893 (or the new Valgranges), these problems will always exist.

Still, I don't own a fancy MBW 16610 yet.

D

d4m.test

pugwash said:
Great review.

A couple of points: The rehaut isn't right on any rep. The TW/MBW rehaut is 2.1mm vs the 1.8 of the noob, if I've remembered right. Sure, we're talking about 0.1mm here, but it's visible.

The other point is the position of the crown. It's rare to see a replica Sub with the crown bang in the middle of the case. This is due to the movement placement. Because we don't have Rolex movements, we're stuck with the ETA stem position, which if its in the centre, makes the rehaut too shallow and the date mag completely off.

Until rep factories use the ETA 2893 (or the new Valgranges), these problems will always exist.

Still, I don't own a fancy MBW 16610 yet.

Good points. I will cover the crown issue and have a few pictures to illustrate that. I don't think that will be fixed, ever. The rehaut on the MBW/TW Best might be overly deep in actual mm (I'll point that out in the review). But deep is much better than shallow. The gen just has this deep rehaut look which the MBW carries too. I'll take some MBW rehaut pics side by side with my coworker's gen.

-bk

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
Awesome post! I see a lot of Subs in the local rep shops, but I wouldn't know a POS from an MBW. At least now I know what to look for.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Ladies and gentlemen, this post is the reason that BK has earned the title "Sub Cannibal." Amazing post, Bert. In fact, the next time some poor unsuspecting new member asks the age old question, "Who has the best sub," I think a link to this post is in order.

lumejunkie

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/4/07
CONUS
One of the best reviews ever--thanks so much! I would love to see one of the same caliber on the Sea Dweller (hint, hint). Which of the MBWs is more accurate to the gen in its original (un-modded) form? The 1680 Sub or 1665 white SD? Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

D

d4m.test

lumejunkie said:
One of the best reviews ever--thanks so much! I would love to see one of the same caliber on the Sea Dweller (hint, hint). Which of the MBWs is more accurate to the gen in its original (un-modded) form? The 1680 Sub or 1665 white SD? Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks for the compliment.
Both MBW 1680 and 1665 are equally accurate. Both take some gen parts without mod so you can understand how good they are. Can't say which one is more accurate. If you are choosing one only, go with the 1665 because it doesn't have a cyclop. Things can go wrong with a cyclop. It can be installed skewed for example. If you don't want to test your luck, go with the 1665. I love that more too esp. for the thick bezel.

-bk

Reactions: tonydel11

tribal

Renowned Member
27/3/06
Germany
Yepp BKLM is right,
The 1680 and 1665 are very accurate to the real thing...
But they need also some Mods...

Look here ....

imgp3298zv2.jpg

imgp3308eb9.jpg

Matt Watch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/7/07
Best Sub goes tooooooo?

Wow, i just learned a ton about rep subs!

Ok, so based on that great info i should look at getting a VIP-Mariner fromwhich one of our suppiers. I aw the name Tim mentioned but that was a gift coming from Tim. I have bought basicly everythng else but a Sub which I have been trying to find the un-findable great Sub rep.

Any guidence would be great.

Thank you!

Matt

D

d4m.test

Thank you! I have a TW Best and I am so happy to hear you reviews of the TW Best.

narikaa

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
15/3/06
Agreed, commendable and in depth disection (and a wonderful sticky to aim those tiresome enquirers to :D )

But

My personal opinion of all this remains.......

People, the original can be had for a little over £2K if you search about

Now even if getting hold of that little one inch thick stack of Nelson Eddys is beyond your ability, stick it on any random bit of plastic. (Jees even benefit monkeys can readily raise this kinda credit).

They're not an expensive item and really not worth so much worry, (the monthly drip for one is inconsequential) .... if its soo important to you, go buy one, be done with it, and get over it.

D

d4m.test

Great guide man,
Using as a reference for my next purchase!