• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Speedmaster Moonwatch request to factories.

Haltec

Known Member
30/1/13
I get their argument, but it's flawed. I've seen a lot of people say they haven't bought a Moonwatch because of the thickness/subdial spacing (which is also my reason for never having bought one). To compare sales of the Seamaster market (a watch that's been pretty convincing for a while now) to the Speedmaster market (a watch that people actively don't buy because it's not convincing) is comparing apples to oranges.

In fact, right now in the chat box there's a user asking who makes the best Moonwatch. Another user has just told them not to bother because there isn't a good rep.

+1

And I really want to buy it!!!!!!

Haltec

Known Member
30/1/13
And yes. Developing 861 or 321 (or whatever movement they would clone) is very expencive but they also have to consider selling aftermarket parts for whome is HUGE DEMAND.

If they made clone with interchangeable parts - no worries about ROI.

magoohkg

I'm Pretty Popular
22/11/15
Even with the issue of the spacing on the 7750 movements, I believe efforts could me made to make the dial a little more true to gen by reducing the size of the sub dials ever so slightly and thereby increasing the length of the lume markers at 3 and 9 o'clock! the rest of the rep is pretty much spot on IMHO.

Reactions: johnlogan

VIV54

Renowned Member
13/12/17
Some news from Angus with more interesting details.

I am sorry there is nothing I can do. I have checked with the movement factory, $500K deposit need to be paid to them to initiate the project and the time to clone the movement would be 1-2 years, when you pay the deposit and you need to sign a contract with them that when the movement is released, you need to commit to 2000 movements PER MONTH (can be negotiated to 1000 - 1500 pcs but price per unit will be higher) for 2 years (can be negotiated to 1 year). If I open a campaign like kickstarter and everyone involved need to invest $500 and we need 1000 people to participate only to initiate this project, this is not the difficult part but the commitment, will we be able to sell 1000 - 2000 Moon watch per month, for 1-2 years? It is my concern...

Reactions: vcappp

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
It might be complicated to make, not sure, but one thing I'm 100% sure: if a rep can compete in sales record with the almighty Submariner, that one is the Speedmaster Professional.

A well repped Moonwatch would probably sell at Noob/ARF Submariner level, and definitely more than Daytona level. It would be an absolute moneymaker for whoever does it properly.

Reactions: VIV54

DeCrow

Known Member
6/9/16
Given it's an older movement I presume they should be able to clone it perfectly. Since this is clearly not being done I can only assume they don't expect to make any money out of it.

And to be honest, you can get a good Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch at a decent price (I recently saw one for 2,500 EUR). So I would advise anyone to just save a bit more, and buy a real used one.
It's what I did ;)

VIV54

Renowned Member
13/12/17
Given it's an older movement I presume they should be able to clone it perfectly. Since this is clearly not being done I can only assume they don't expect to make any money out of it.

And to be honest, you can get a good Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch at a decent price (I recently saw one for 2,500 EUR). So I would advise anyone to just save a bit more, and buy a real used one.
It's what I did ;)

that only works for the classic edition, if you want a white dial one like snoopy limited edition the price is around 10k.

VIV54

Renowned Member
13/12/17
Another thing that I don't really get is that I've always thought that factories themselves were investing money on new movements and not someone from outside. And that they don't clone movements just to sell them with some contract but to put them on their watches and then sell the entire thing.