• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Speedmaster Moon watch

xmartin86x

Known Member
12/12/11
Hi all,

I need help you experts in here. Received a moon watch from trevor last month and now...there's problem winding the thing up. It just doesn't have any clicking sound when i wind it. And it has some resistance when winding. A friend of mine told me that it could be there's something loose or stuck inside the movement.

Feel so sad that less than a month after wearing it (with no knocks or anything on the watch), it turns out to be like that. :(

GFlansburg

Renowned Member
29/12/11
I am also confused. Not clicking while winding would actually be a good thing. As far as the resistance goes, how much resistance are we talking?

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I do not have a speedy as to be 100% sure, but isnt that a usual behavior for a lemania movement? Or there isn't a lemania in there???

Lets wait for a speedy owner to chime in...

xmartin86x

Known Member
12/12/11
it has clicking sound when i first got it while winding. But just yesterday when i wind it, no clicking sound but the seconds are moving (ie the watch is working). But i'm not sure how long it'll last. Hahaha sorry for any confusion.. cos' i'm also confused why it's like that.

tracyl

22/4/11
Does it seem that the crown is not catching on the stem, almost like the crown is stripped? I have this problem on my rep speedy too. But my watch maker told me it is not that bad, and not worth changing. You just need to pull and twist slightly as you wind, and the crown will engage on the stem and start winding. What I do is hold it up to my ear as I wind so I can hear the clicking sound as I wind. In my case there is only resistance when the crown and stem engage correctly. Otherwise, the crown just spins and the stem does not engage the winding mechanism. Does that explain what you are seeing?

xmartin86x

Known Member
12/12/11
Sounds like it to me. But for my case, when I wind it, there's resistance and the crown will turn itself anti clockwise after I let it go frm winding.. -_-

Any idea it could be repaired? I feel like sending it back to Trevor.. :( pretty unlucky for me, 2watches frm him and both have problems..

dsmdave

Renowned Member
15/1/11
Man that sucks to hear. Hope that you get everything squared away.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Ok lets get this clear.

Does the watch wind and run? (please test this for at least 48-72 hours, ie wind it fully and let it run down a few times over)

If yes, then you're being paranoid, picky, and are the kind of customer that dealers dread. Mainly because there's nothing 'wrong' with your watch.

If no, then consider contacting the dealer.

xmartin86x

Known Member
12/12/11
It winds, but no clicking sound. And it runs. But of course I dnt know how long the power reserved will be.

I even got my 2 of my friends who are into rep watches too, to check this watch out for me.

They're puzzled on why this is happening. But they think that it could be the gears/teeth not engaging properly. One of them said bring it to spin master for repair, the other said send it back to Trevor for a change or repair or something. Had this watch for almost a month.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Ok listen, if it still winds and runs, then its not broken and you really have no grounds to return it to the dealer. Also... its not broken if it's still running and winding. Just because it's stopped making a clicking sound...

GFlansburg

Renowned Member
29/12/11
Yeah i still dont understand where your concern is....there should be no clicking sound. And its running.

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
What movement are we talking about guys?

The ticking sound he's referring to is probably the normal sound watches make when you wind them. Not really a ticking. More of a ratcheting noise. Most of the watches I own (rep or gen) make this noise when winding. As far as the resistance goes. I've had 2 watches recently have this problem. The resistance is that the rotor is somehow engaged as you're winding and turning the crown actually spins the rotor. Thus the extra resistance you wouldn't normally feel.

At least that's my guess as to what the OP is referring to.

danny401k

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/8/11
Click spring

Wanted to chime in on this because I have a moonie rep with the st19.
Did you say in one post that the crown unwinds after you wind it?
If so your spring click(sic) could be broken. This is the spring on the
Ratchet mechanism that
keeps the drum from unwinding. Mine was broken and I just replaced it.
Of course if yours is running this is not the problem.
Danny

xmartin86x

Known Member
12/12/11
Hi,

The problem lies at the "teeth" that engages the gear to prevent the spring from unwinding (kinda allowing only 1 directional engagement of the gear). And the clicking sound I'm referring is the "teeth" clicking on the gear when winding.

My question here is, where is the "teeth" in the ST19? I have an UNITA movement and the "teeth" is right behind the movement.

I appreciate all help from anyone, but just because I have a low post count doesn't mean that I know no shit about this. Help you all don't judge someone just by the post count. Thanks and appreciated.

By no means I'm being hostile, just find that we need to voice things out here.

danny401k

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/8/11
I personally made no judgements based on your post count.
The ratchet that prevents the spring unwinding in an st19 is
located just under the arm that is actuated by the top pusher.
You need to remove its pivot screw and swing it carefully
out of the way to see it. But if your movement is running this may
not be a problem anyway.

Danny

tracyl

22/4/11
Do you have the crystal case back? If so, why not just watch the gears turn as you wind them, and see if the click ratchet engages. And don't scrap it, the st19 movements are about $140, so get it repaired locally. Best of luck, and if you need a rep friendly watch repair, I have one in Denver that you could send it to.
Tracy

xmartin86x

Known Member
12/12/11
Hi Danny, thank you for ur helpful advice. :) my comments are not pointed towards u as your "tone" was friendly.

xmartin86x

Known Member
12/12/11
Tracy: thank you! But erm I can't find "click ratchet".

And on a side note, I didn't even expect any rep to be of the highest quality as per gen watches. I'm here to just get advise frm you experts on what's is wrong with the watch and how to solve. I dnt need any hostility comments or replies. :) thank you

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Hi all,

I need help you experts in here. Received a moon watch from trevor last month and now...there's problem winding the thing up. It just doesn't have any clicking sound when i wind it. And it has some resistance when winding. A friend of mine told me that it could be there's something loose or stuck inside the movement.

Feel so sad that less than a month after wearing it (with no knocks or anything on the watch), it turns out to be like that. :(

Sooo.. your complaining because it doesn't make "noise" when being wound....and that makes you "feel sad"? .............. Picard? .. please.........:picard: