• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Some mods to improve and defuse the GMT CHS timebomb

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Wonder if the timebomb will never go off if you only use the hour hand to set time and date (always)

Re-read big fault #2 bro. The IDW can get pushed up and remain dislodged from the hour wheel. It results in the hour hand just becoming loose or intermittently lagging back. More than a few reports of this happening, I've fixed several. Oh and if your date is set to tomorrow, it takes 720 full revolutions of the minute hand to get it back to today's date, lol. Keeping this movement on a winder and doing what you suggest can offset that hassle but there is still big fault #2.

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
A fitting home for the defused timebomb

16047193283553.jpg

That gmt got little different lume?

cjt202020

Renowned Member
Supporter
3/2/14
Re-read big fault #2 bro. The IDW can get pushed up and remain dislodged from the hour wheel. It results in the hour hand just becoming loose or intermittently lagging back. More than a few reports of this happening, I've fixed several. Oh and if your date is set to tomorrow, it takes 720 full revolutions of the minute hand to get it back to today's date, lol. Keeping this movement on a winder and doing what you suggest can offset that hassle but there is still big fault #2.

I just wear my noob gmt once a month for fear of it blowing up! Something to look forward to I suppose....It will be on the wrist again on the 14th November lol.

Hopefully the UKs watch modders understand your tech guide and someone can sort for me one day soon!

Citiz3n

Horology Curious
20/11/16
Old post but I just want to say thank you KJ. I did the IDW mod and it runs significantly better in my franken build. It's my first rep and had experience doing this stuff, bought some tools and shim stock and got to work. Without a pin vise I just filed a U into the stock to hook onto the screw. Dremel sped up the work and now I am happy. Next up will be hopefully acquiring one of the improved springs (mine is still intact), though apparently shipping to the US isn't available so I'll have to sort something out there.

I have, however, lost second hand hacking. Not entirely sure how to approach that one lol. It'd be nice to replace the movement with a clone that takes gen hands but that doesn't appear to be an option as far as I can find.