• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sneak peek - my almost complete 203-ish build

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
this thread has been a big help thanks, strangely i am in a similar place, i also have an XF and a noob 127 and wanting to make one hybrid one, but i also wanted at some point to add a 203 to my collection so would make sense to do bot projects at the same time like you have. Do you know which parts he is using from which 127?
i have literally just received the noob version and done a quick comparison between the two myself.
my observations were, and happy to be corrected
xf better dial print, possibly text to light but correct size text
case, i am struggling to see any difference
crown guard, engraving better on noob
movement plates, engraving looks better job on xf although text a little thick

any pointers/advice would be very welcome and if i can get the main man to undertake the same job as yours i would be very happy
Andy

It depends on which Noob version you have. The earlier Noobs had low beat movements and no Y incabloc, while the late Noobs were greatly improved with better movements, Y incabloc and engravings. The Noob case and CG is preferred as the XF cases typically had 'raw' areas on the case directly above the lugs instead of being brushed like the rest of the case.

The XF movement adjustment 'dagger' is an incorrect shape and there are some other small errors with the engraving such as the missing center marker in the adjustment scale. The LP / 1950 printing on the XF dial is more accurate in thickness than the Noob.

The 'franken' 127 that Marlin is finishing up currently will have the following specs:
Late Noob case / CG
Late Noob movement with Marlins full list of Swiss hybrid improvements etc
Gen dial
Gen hands
Gen crown
WSO crystal

203 watch
XF case (brush areas above lugs)
XF movement
WSO crystal
XF hands
Asian incabloc adjusted
Brushed gear train
Swiss ratchet and crown wheels

Old Noob 127
Old Noob movement converted to high beat
Brushed gear train
Asian incabloc
Proper shaped dagger (not thick)
MM screw that was missing
Updated main plate
Swiss ratchet and crown wheels
Gold color added to the text on movement bridges
Use the best of the 3 rep crystals

papabear244

Renowned Member
17/11/20
Sweet!! Have you thought of building a 1080 with a 372 case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
Thanks for all the compliments - it's always nice when you have an idea that comes to fruition and exceeds expectations (thanks to Marlin and Belkin12).

BlueLineFarmer - Thank you, though this is NO franken 203! Just a fantasy 203 really.

papabear244 - The 203 is my grail watch and really the only 47mm tobacco dial Panerai I was interested in as I love the Angelus movement and story behind the 203. There are one or two gen 203's available currently. I'm tempted!

FYI, the 1080 uses the 1950 case.

Last edited:

papabear244

Renowned Member
17/11/20
Are you sure? To me the 1080 case looks like a brushed 372.

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
Are you sure? To me the 1080 case looks like a brushed 372.

I did some googling and it appears you are correct - the 1080 uses a brushed 1940 case. Very cool! Maybe a future project.