• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sneak peek - my almost complete 203-ish build

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
The 203 is my favorite gen Panerai model. For those that may not be familiar, there is a fantastic article on Perezscope that details the history of this very special Panerai model:

https://perezcope.com/2016/11/04/the...t-the-pam-203/

I've been searching for a proper non-alarm, crown winding Angelus SF240 movement in nice condition for ages and have come to terms with the fact that I might never find a suitable one for a correct 203 homage build. I'll keep searching.... I do know that conversion plates are available (with some risk) for alarm SF240's, though my preference would be to have the real deal.

This build came about through some good fortune and even better timing.

The XF 127 that I had purchased some time ago was getting quite a lot of wrist time after I had sent it for a service, lug softening and firming up of the CG lever. As my appreciation of the PAM127 grew I started doing more research thanks to ALE7575 and his amazing review sticky to understand the details of the 127 models from the different factories. From this I had made my mind up that the late Noob factory versions were the best overall (although the XF dial has more accurate printing), though unfortunately were long out of stock and difficult to find via M2M sales.

During this time I had also become familiar with Marlin's work and modifications to further improve the rep 127. After hunting unsuccessfully for a Noob I decided that I'd like to send the XF to Marlin for his full suite of modifications, though he informed me that he had a very unfortunate accident and was not able to accept any new projects for several months. I remained in contact with him periodically and thankfully for him he had recovered to the point where he could begin working his magic again late last year, so I sent him the XF and one of my 111's as a sacrificial lamb for him to use it's proper shaped 'dagger' on the 127.

Of course, not long after I had sent Marlin the XF, I managed to trade for a late Noob 127 in absolutely perfect condition... So I sent the Noob and Marlin agreed to take the best parts from both watches and create the nicest possible 'hybrid' 127.

Then of course a franken 127 came up for sale with gen dial, hands and crown.... How could I resist!? I had it shipped directly to Marlin who had thankfully not reached a point in his process where he couldn't incorporate the gen parts into the 127 build.

So, the next idea I had was to ask the incredible craftsman Belkin12 to produce a 203 homage dial for me that would fit the A6497 movement. As always he created a stunning piece. I should at this point say that my thoughts and prayers are with him, his family and entire country as they are forced to live through these hellish times in Ukraine. We can only hope that the international sanctions being imposed against the aggressor are effective and a cease fire is negotiated quickly.

Marlin is putting the final touches to the 203 build before turning his attention to finishing the franken 127. The 203 build utilized the XF case and movement, has a WSO xtal installed and several of Marlin's mods including Swiss hybrid movement parts and brush / polish work to the case, hands and movement.

Here are a few pictures - I'll add more once I receive the watch next week.

17841da679860c810a298b5c9c7547de.jpeg

IMG_3990.JPG

IMG_3989.JPG

IMG_3987.JPG

IMG_3985.JPG

Last edited:

Gtmatt22

Supporter
Certified
7/1/21
CONUS
Impressive build and great looking watch.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

40mm

19/10/21
GreatWhiteNorth
I see you have gone to extreme lengths to get exactly what you want. It looks wonderful so far. Using three watches to build one shows some real determination. Thanks for the history and detailed discussion of your build process. It is inspirational.I must go back and finish my first build........

Reactions: Woundup

KOT1917

Respected Member
Section Moderator
26/7/19
Russian federation
An interesting project.

Tell me, having several different PAM127s, not one of their crystals was used, but WSO, because it is better suited for 203 build? I see in the photo that there is a more pronounced blue highlight, but are there any other reasons?

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Nice build and wonderful watch
Thanks for sharing

ALE

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
An interesting project.

Tell me, having several different PAM127s, not one of their crystals was used, but WSO, because it is better suited for 203 build? I see in the photo that there is a more pronounced blue highlight, but are there any other reasons?

I had purchased 2 crystals from WSO and had them sent directly to Marlin so that he could choose the best one for the 127 build - my intent was to return the one that was not used. When I decided to proceed with the 203 build I asked Marlin if the remaining WSO was better than the 3 rep crystals, which he confirmed. The XF crystal was better than the 2 Noob, which both had more dramatic transitions from the curved to flat surface.

Reactions: KOT1917

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Beautiful and unique project, well done!

KOT1917

Respected Member
Section Moderator
26/7/19
Russian federation
Actually I'm happy with the current CG as the first 203 from the original press release had the downward pointing lever also....

Thanks, interesting.
Honestly, I saw this image, but did not know.
In that case, just waiting for more photos. :)

Rupert Fripp

Supporter
Certified
27/3/21
Wow. Congrats man. These labours of love are sometimes hard to realise, it’s amazing you found almost everything you wanted.

Cant wait to see the final image!

RepIseek

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
7/1/20
Texas
Actually I'm happy with the current CG as the first 203 from the original press release had the downward pointing lever also....

That’s a Mack daddy watch man, well done and
wear with pride!

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
The 203 arrived yesterday and it exceeds all expectations.

Of course it's not an Angelus SF240, though I won't grow tired of looking at the 6497 enhanced with Marlin's amazing work:

Marlin also brushed the areas above the lugs that were left raw by XF for some reason:

Some various strap shots:

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
Switched to a beautiful Simona gator - my favorite combo so far.

Reactions: Blshh

maccabigdish

RWI Supporter—Pam Fanatic
22/5/20
Liverpool
this thread has been a big help thanks, strangely i am in a similar place, i also have an XF and a noob 127 and wanting to make one hybrid one, but i also wanted at some point to add a 203 to my collection so would make sense to do bot projects at the same time like you have. Do you know which parts he is using from which 127?
i have literally just received the noob version and done a quick comparison between the two myself.
my observations were, and happy to be corrected
xf better dial print, possibly text to light but correct size text
case, i am struggling to see any difference
crown guard, engraving better on noob
movement plates, engraving looks better job on xf although text a little thick

any pointers/advice would be very welcome and if i can get the main man to undertake the same job as yours i would be very happy
Andy