• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SMP Chrono Diver - What are the flaws? How can they be fixed?

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
He used the pearl for another project. The remaining parts he didn't need.

Now he's looking for another bezel for a new project (with a pearl) :)

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
+1. Yeap exactly what you have said and that the insert had a scratch i didnt like so...

guami007

Renowned Member
27/2/11
:huh:

Chrono refers to a chronograph function 99% of the time. A chronometer is a watch that has been adjusted to run in certain accuracy parameters. All SMP's are chronometers, but only the ones with the chronograph function are referred to as "chronos".

The older SMP chrono reps are actually very close to the gen. They will take gen parts and the pearl out of the box is fairly decent. The three hand models of the SMP are off in several ways.

Here's on I used to have:

DSCF2475.jpg

Does anyone know the gen bezel insert part # of this watch and a decent source of where to find one in black? I just ordered this watch in black and the bezel insert is first on the list of parts to replace.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
The part number is 082SU1360 for the blue one. I havent seen a black one though...

shandroid

13/9/10
Cool thread... I've recently taken a liking to these and have ordered one...

Reminds me of an Ebel 1911 Chrono (graph, not meter - although both are technically correct) which I owned but didn't love.... Hopefully this one will be different

Targa

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/10
Here is mine which has the following gen parts, Bezel, Insert, Pearl,bracelet, Dial and crown /tube

These are excellent out of the box but are known to strip the crown/tube Since this build the gen stays in the box..

All gen parts used required no mods (I did not do the crown/tube myself ..I believe that requires some fitting of the stem, ) ...the dial is the older type (before the Red Seamaster lettering ...note the different shape of the markers on the seconds ring ) I may go gen with the crystal but the way it is now looks just like my gen (from the early 90s) BTW the bezel insert is from paparas...I can live with the scratch at 54.../in fact it has a few more since I got it :) )

DSCN5029.jpg

Targa

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/10
Crown/tube with labor approx $75
Bezel and insert iirc about 28 bucks from paparas here on rwi, I had the pearl on hand
Dial was A fleabay find $35 bucks and unbelievably a gen!! (a definite steal and I would not have done it if I didnt get it so cheap)= the rep is plenty good)
Bracelet was about $250 and only reason I did it was that bracelet I had was screw links which is improper...the new rep bracelets with pin/tube are actually pretty nice that said there is nothing like a gen bracelet

When the Chinese movement goes out I will put a gen in it but for now...knock formica... it runs like a champ Note that the only thing necessary was the crown/tube..the rest of it was done only because I am a bit anal and own the gen

Klokkeren

Known Member
24/1/11
OP: IMO the 3 red chrono hands are to short, compared to the gen.
For me that's the biggest flaw with this nice watch.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
And i was wondering why that was looking familiar at the first look... I like the result! I cant wait to complete mine too. The lume on dial is still working cause it looks a little fainted..?

Targa

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/10
Lume is faint, just like my gen..

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
So since you saved a lot buying i think you should relume it! it totally deserves it!!!

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Here is a gen lume shot of the SMP chrono. I had this photo sitting on my phone. Figured I would put it up.

May not contribute to the thread much... :s

optical

Renowned Member
31/1/10
anyone have a pic of one of these beauties on rubber?
Does the PO rubber fit these? or do they have their own?

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Darn it. I just sent R2's back to him. I tried it on my 20mm PO rubber.
Felt good.