• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SMP Chrono Diver - What are the flaws? How can they be fixed?

Mendel

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/8/09
Hi Community,

my all time favourite watch is the Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver. I'm thinking of buying me the current rep. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be without flaws.
The flaws I've heard of so far are:

-the bad Datefont of course
-no AR-Coating
-flawed design of the "Omega"-Writing on the dial (although I've seen pics where the writing seems to be correct)
-screwed up pearl on the bezel insert (the flaw that annoys me the most)

My questions are:
Do you know other flaws than that?

How can the issue with the pearl be fixed?? Ofrei sells the whole gen bezel, but it costs almost as much as the whole rep. Plus i've heard that it doesn't fit the rep case.
Is there any way the pearl problem can be solved?

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
Are you talking about the SMP chrono or chrono diver?

Just for reference, chrono is non- chronograph, and chrono diver is chronograph.

avenger007

Advisor
21/2/09
Are you talking about the SMP chrono or chrono diver?

Just for reference, chrono is non- chronograph, and chrono diver is chronograph.

:huh:

Chrono refers to a chronograph function 99% of the time. A chronometer is a watch that has been adjusted to run in certain accuracy parameters. All SMP's are chronometers, but only the ones with the chronograph function are referred to as "chronos".

The older SMP chrono reps are actually very close to the gen. They will take gen parts and the pearl out of the box is fairly decent. The three hand models of the SMP are off in several ways.

Here's on I used to have:

DSCF2475.jpg

DSCF2468.jpg

DSCF2472.jpg

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Well i know a way to make all the flaws dissapear, buy the gen parts and you got a nice franken!!!

boostin20

8/9/10
USA
:huh:

Chrono refers to a chronograph function 99% of the time. A chronometer is a watch that has been adjusted to run in certain accuracy parameters. All SMP's are chronometers, but only the ones with the chronograph function are referred to as "chronos".

Not trying to start any wars here, but the "non-chronograph" SMP is officially called the SMP chronometer, or as everyone loves to call it, the SMP chrono. The chronograph version is officially called the SMP Chrono Diver. Reference- http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/seamaster

Btw, I'm loving that chrono diver you sold me!

avenger007

Advisor
21/2/09
Not trying to start any wars here, but the "non-chronograph" SMP is officially called the SMP chronometer, or as everyone loves to call it, the SMP chrono. The chronograph version is officially called the SMP Chrono Diver. Reference- http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/seamaster

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Boostin???!!! ;)

Omega doesn't shorten chronometer to chrono. Look at the Planet Ocean and the Planet Ocean Chrono, the chrono referring to Chronograph. Omega makes the Chronometer distinction on the 3 hand SMP automatic because they also have a 3 hand quartz version that is not a chronometer. To the vast majority of folks on the forums, chrono will always represent subdials and pushers, not chronometer.

Glad you enjoy the watch, btw. :)

shirazi_r

Renowned Member
12/10/10

Generally the term "Chrono" is used to refer to a chronograph. The SMP Chrono would thus refer to the SeaMaster Professional Chronograph.

I've never heard anyone refer to the "non-chronograph" SMP as the SMP Chrono. I have however heard just about everyone refer to the SMP Chronograph as the "Chrono"

Thus:

SMP Chrono = Seamaster Professional Chronograph

SMP = Seamaster Professional (non-chrono)

SMP Chrono ? Seamaster Professional (non-chrono)

Seeing as a chronometer designation is not a complication, nobody refers to it in the name of the watch.

Mendel

12/8/09
i don't want to sound impolite, but this is directing to a completely useless discussion.
I used the term "Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver" in the title and in the text.
there is only one watch that can be meant with that name.
so boostin20, could you please stop leading this thread into a pointless talk.

avenger007

Advisor
21/2/09
i don't want to sound impolite, but this is directing to a completely useless discussion.
I used the term "Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver" in the title and in the text.
there is only one watch that can be meant with that name.
so boostin20, could you please stop leading this thread into a pointless talk.

Easy there, big guy. :lolcina:

I answered most of your points in the post above and posted pics to further help you decide. Also, By-Tor and Gioarmani have already done exceptional reviews on this watch which could easily be found using the search button. So be careful before you start throwing around "pointless talk" phrases.

Mendel

12/8/09
Easy there, big guy

@avenger: i wasn't calling your post "pointless". sorry if it sounded that way. thank you for your post.
i was referring to the accessory discussion about what watch could be meant in the thread.

avenger007

Advisor
21/2/09
Ah, but the joys of forum life are the ancillary accessory discussions! :D

The latest versions of the SMP chrono have split pins in the bracelet as opposed to the older versions which have the correct pins and collars. They stopped making this one for a while and when they started back, they took some shortcuts. Also, the crowns are prone to stripping, but a gen crown/tube will work just fine. The watch pictured above has a gen crown/tube. Pretty much everything is interchangeable with the gen on the older models and there are plenty of vendors who can AR a crystal if you desire. A WTB is how I got mine. The factories really did a nice job on that version.

See? Back on track! :)

slimslim

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/10
i think that boostin's sort of attention to semantics is enlightening. i agree i rarely see chrono used outside of a stopwatch/chronograph description. nice watch btw.

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
I have the gen version of this watch and next to all the other SMP Reps I've seen (both chrono and non chrono), this is one of the best. Exception being the "old school" SMP chrono and "closed factory" SMP.

Also,

You won't find one rep with a centered pearl (within the triangle). This pearl on this model actually looks pretty good imo next to the other SMP pearls. Your best option (if the pearl bothers you) is buy a gen $200.00 bezel :)

Thats what I did……

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Your best option (if the pearl bothers you) is buy a gen $200.00 bezel :)

Thats what I did??

Or wait to find a used one like i am doing, for 2 months now!!!!! Why is that so hard to find???? I may choose your way too...

Sent from my Desire HD

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
The problem I've been having personally is the used ones I'm snagging are beat to #%*# :(

I just put the used RWG one you found me on my CF SMP and the watch now looks 15 years older…lol

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
The problem I've been having personally is the used ones I'm snagging are beat the #%*# :(

I just put the used RWG one you found me on my CF SMP and the watch now looks 15 years older…lol

Lol now i have second thoughts about the replacement bezel hehe...

Sent from my Desire HD

Mendel

12/8/09
Pretty much everything is interchangeable with the gen on the older models

ok but how can i figure out if i'm ordering such an older model where everything is interchangeable or if the rep i receive will not fit with a gen bezel?

Your best option (if the pearl bothers you) is buy a gen $200.00 bezel :)

Thats what I did……

sounds good. but how did you know if the gen bezel would fit the rep case? and how can one know if he buys a rep today?

avenger007

Advisor
21/2/09
If you buy from a dealer today it will be the newer version. If you find an older one from another member, they should be able to tell you which version they got, if nothing else, by the bracelet construction when they sized it.

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Photos of my CF SMP with gen bezel...PS i'm aware the insert is in the wrong position in relation to the bezel teeth. It was intentional. :)

img3238v.jpg

img3240z.jpg