• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SM 42mm PO stripped tube threads

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
SM 42mm PO stripped tube threads (REVISED, IT WORKS)

Would anyone know of a quick-fix for stripped tube threads besides pulling everything and having a gen tube and crown put in ?

Revision: So call me crazy. I havn't had this PO a week yet and clasp spring broke .I took the clasp apart, made my own spring and it's a temporary yet solid fix until the clasp I ordered from ofrei arrives. This afternoon either the crown threads or tube threads stripped and I couldn't lock the crown.
I just opened it up, pulled the stem and had a close look at the tube and crown threads. 1 entire thread peeled off of the tube.
My quick fix: I took a small amount of teflon tape and with a tiny screwdriver worked it into the crown, reset the stem into the mvt., set the time and screwed the crown in. It screwed in and got tight like it should. For now.
I wouldn't consider this issue fixed completely by a long shot and I wouldn't subject the watch to water. But I just got the darn thing, put a rush on the clasp order and haven't even had a chance to wear it long enough to decide whether to purchase the key genuine parts for it or start searching for a gen.
I just thought I'd share this with you. And simple elementary application or not I'm giving myself a small pat on the back for the effort. ;)

correctime

Banned
28/5/11
I've gotten brave and set the time and date twice. It's still holding decent.

Cee

Renowned Member
1/6/11
Apparently this is a very common problem with the Planet Ocean reps, unfortunately. I would just buy a gen crown and tube and replace it which shouldn't be too expensive. Nice little project I guess.

correctime

Banned
28/5/11
I agree. It seems the clasps and the tube/crown issues are common. I've chosen to go with a gen clasp and gen crown/tube. Thanks ofrei.

correctime

Banned
28/5/11
Update: Needless to say teflon tape will only hold for so long. The crown has popped back out and wouldn't screw in to lock down. So I've found a much more secure "quick-fix". I pulled the crown and stem back out and with tiny needlenosed pliers squeezed the tube ever so slightly out of round. Now it's fresh metal to screw into. Temporary of course but much more secure than t-tape. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone that's not planning to change the tube and crown. Because essentially it ruins both sets of threads. But stripped is already ruined, so no harm done.

Cee

Renowned Member
1/6/11
Let us know if the gen crown/tube fixes the problem, and if it is a relatively easy job to do. :)

Robbo73

27/5/11
Let us know if the gen crown/tube fixes the problem, and if it is a relatively easy job to do. :)

+1... It's on my list to do for my beloved PO v5 - if you do it and post pics I'll be your friend for life

dan_j

5/11/10
Correctime's solution of pressing the tube out of shape actually works quite well. I'm sure it's not a permanent fix but if you're planning to get the gen crown/tube at some point this would be a good idea.

Sucks that I spent a couple of hours today to epoxy the HE valve only to completely lose water resistance because of the crown...but oh well at least it screws in now.

petemoss

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/12/10
Correctime, I hope you're not planning to install the gen crown/tube yourself. I read posts by SpeedyG and Francisco about how to replace the crown and tube. It's quite complicated and requires special tools.

correctime

Banned
28/5/11
Correctime, I hope you're not planning to install the gen crown/tube yourself. I read posts by SpeedyG and Francisco about how to replace the crown and tube. It's quite complicated and requires special tools.
No sir...I lack the skills and "know how" to correctly do the job myself. To be perfectly honost I still haven't gotten a gen crown/tube yet. I installed the gen clasp and the "quick fix" to the tube is still holding and I've been wearing it ever since. It has quickly and easily become my favorite so until I've completely made up my mind whether or not to go after a gen. I'm in no hurry to send it off anywhere. I packed the o-ring seal with silicone grease when I did my little "mini-mod" and while I wouldn't dare go swimming with it it's survived the sink and showers just fine so far.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Correctime's solution of pressing the tube out of shape actually works quite well. I'm sure it's not a permanent fix but if you're planning to get the gen crown/tube at some point this would be a good idea.

Sucks that I spent a couple of hours today to epoxy the HE valve only to completely lose water resistance because of the crown...but oh well at least it screws in now.

Did you get it wet?

No sir...I lack the skills and "know how" to correctly do the job myself. To be perfectly honost I still haven't gotten a gen crown/tube yet. I installed the gen clasp and the "quick fix" to the tube is still holding and I've been wearing it ever since. It has quickly and easily become my favorite so until I've completely made up my mind whether or not to go after a gen. I'm in no hurry to send it off anywhere. I packed the o-ring seal with silicone grease when I did my little "mini-mod" and while I wouldn't dare go swimming with it it's survived the sink and showers just fine so far.

I would spend the money and get it fixed as soon as possible. That way you can fully enjoy your most awesome watch. You will get most of your money back if you sell the watch later. Contact Katt and see if he is willing to do it and check ofrei's stock. I read that they were back ordered . :lolcina:

correctime

Banned
28/5/11
Did you get it wet?

I would spend the money and get it fixed as soon as possible. That way you can fully enjoy your most awesome watch. You will get most of your money back if you sell the watch later. Contact Katt and see if he is willing to do it and check ofrei's stock. I read that they were back ordered . :lolcina:

You are right, of course. I will be looking into it.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Thank you. I was taught by R2......... :r2d4:

correctime

Banned
28/5/11
Did you get it wet?

I've heard back from Katt. Seems he can do everything I'm considering having done EXCEPT for the gen tube and crown. It sounds as though a bit of case milling is necessary to do it right and he doesn't do that sort of case work.
R2 has mentioned the expoxy/marine glue approach to the task in another thread so I've posted a few questions regarding this in that thread for the benefit of myself and for others having the same issues. Depending on what R2 has to say I may very well end up having a go at it myself. I'm capable of doing some precision drilling but haven't the skills or the access to a tiny headed lathe.:popcorn:

petemoss

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/12/10
I've heard back from Katt. Seems he can do everything I'm considering having done EXCEPT for the gen tube and crown. It sounds as though a bit of case milling is necessary to do it right and he doesn't do that sort of case work.

I was just about to contact Katt about a gen crown/tube replacement. Sorry to hear that Katt can't do that. The only ones that I know can swap a crown/tube are in Spain or Singapore. Anyone in Conus?

correctime

Banned
28/5/11
I was just about to contact Katt about a gen crown/tube replacement. Sorry to hear that Katt can't do that. The only ones that I know can swap a crown/tube are in Spain or Singapore. Anyone in Conus?
Good question. I've contacted pbdad and am hoping to hear from him. Vac is in the US...I haven't gotten with him. What somebody needs to do is put a fire under the butt of "rsh". It seems he does excellent work to Rollies and him having just gotten into modding, perhaps he isn't brainwashed primarily with the Rollie reps.:popcorn:

The Gen tube will sit a bit taller in the case. He milled a shallow recess so it would sit a bit lower.

Look at the third and forth pictures here ..... http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/q5is-franken-po-4th-gen-78051
Thanks for the info, Q5. I will read that over again...I didn't own a PO the first time I viewed that thread. Adjusting the distance of the tube outside the case will no doubt effect the stem length...unless of course it's perfect. I can now see there are a few very informative PO Franken build threads that I will enjoy reading. The skills of many regulars here is most impressive. Thanks again.