• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Silly question about deployment buckle & how to use.....

jpohl402

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/7/12
I have ordered two different Mille Miglia's.
Anyway, received the first one and have owned plenty of watches but NEVER one with a deployment buckle, which I don't particularly care for.
I was trying to figure out how to use the stupid thing - I even watched videos on Youtube. Now, I understand the basic principal, and how strap should be affixed and never removed from clasp - you just spring open deployment buckle and slip over wrist. Achieving this was the problem though.....

So basically, on clasp underneath Chopard logo was a large rounded pin with flathead screwdriver slot on it.
I was trying my hardest to push through the appropriate hole on other rubber strap, to cause a tight and secure fit on my wrist.
It was FAR too large and would not push through.

So, i took a small flathead screw driver to unscrew & remove the pin (after realizing it appeared to be two pieces joined together.)
I inserted strap through, pushed half the pin (from under Chopard logo) into strap, lined up holes, then affixed circular pin with screwdriver back into it's "slot."

This worked great and I thought I had figured it out!!
But, the strap was a bit too loose and I decided I wanted it one hole tighter.
So, I unscrewed that pin and inserted it one tighter. But, attempting to tighten it (which was difficult the 1st time) when strap inserted and kinda in the way - the "threads" of my small removable pin broke off. This rendered the pin UNABLE to secure back underneath the Chopard clasp !!!
If you look at my photo, you can see what I'm talking about. The threads are broke off in that part, and the large rounded pinhead is now missing. Good thing this was the "test/cheaper" watch I ordered....

But how do I prevent this from happening on my good watch band ? Thanks !!!
Did I even go about this the correct way ??

jpohl402

10/7/12
nobody knows how to use a deployment buckle?
hmmmm thats odd................

gtwc

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/7/10
Deployment = troop / military movements.
Troops are deployed to various areas.
The buckle you refer is a 'deployant'.
BTW - sorry about your deployant misfortune.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Well you used it the correct way. But it seems that either you cross threaded the screw, tightened it too much, or it was just poor construction and materials (or a combo of all three).

Just be more careful next time and hope that the better version has a sturdier clasp.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
One point of note: A deployment is something one sends one's army upon. A deployant is a folding clasp for a watch band.

jpohl402

10/7/12
I guess I never caught the "deployant" issue every single time I've read that word online - I guess I read what I wanna read right ?
And thanks Bonesey for the clarification - I think it was a combo of all three indeed....