• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Side by side OEM ETA vs. REP parts on the 6497 movement for Panerai watches

AHX

Renowned Member
3/12/10
I have not finished my write up, but I want to make one thing very clear. Though the parts may look very much alike, the difference is enormous in the quality of the parts. The ETA parts are a great deal superior to the Chinese counterparts. The ETA parts are made of superior metals and seem to be stronger and heftier. One obvious example is the bridge screws I have sheared off several Chinese screws with out putting any torque on them as opposed to the ETA, they are hardened and I have yet to shear one off. So please don't be fooled as too how similar they are, the main difference is in the quality and longevity of the ETA parts.

This troubles me a bit. Everywhere else in the thread you say everything is near identical, but this tbh makes it sound like these movements will eventually break down or are not serviceable. How serious of an issue is what you're describing? Like, if I took a rep PAM with this movement into a local watchmaker, are you saying it would probably strip screws and break if he tried to service it? My understanding was these movements were pretty bulletproof.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
This troubles me a bit. Everywhere else in the thread you say everything is near identical, but this tbh makes it sound like these movements will eventually break down or are not serviceable. How serious of an issue is what you're describing? Like, if I took a rep PAM with this movement into a local watchmaker, are you saying it would probably strip screws and break if he tried to service it? My understanding was these movements were pretty bulletproof.

The base movement is a workhorse, so it's still worth having it serviced, unlike some other clones (just my opinion), but because of the lowest quality of the parts, they will tend to wear faster.

A swiss 6497 can pretty much last for 50 years or more, and if not exposed to sunlight, without even seing a watchmaker. I'm having trouble imagining a chinese clone lasting much more than half a decade without special care.

Zuendler

Do not accept unsolicited offers
16/5/12
Thank you for sharing.
And thanks for all of these informations!
I learned a lot

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Outstanding information and work!!! Rep points for you mister!

KGB-Leader

Known Member
1/7/12
Very interesting explanation!

Yes the difference is in the materials but please keep in mind, that no one want to wear a rep movement for more than 50 years :)

I think, quality is pretty identical with the Russian movements. - and their watches are still running :)

However - very nice review! THANKS A LOT!

geigerz2001

Do not accept unsolicited offers
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
21/10/09
Great review. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

jmgentry

Known Member
5/7/09
I know there are a lot of members who say save the money buy the Asian clone ...... and invest the rest in straps or service .......

In my opinion I would rather pony up the money on the front end to get higher quality parts in a longer lasting ETA movement. My local watch smith prefers working on the ETA movements.

I only own one REP with an Asian movement (A7750 SEC running @6) - this is the only REP that I own that does not run correctly and broke about a month into ownership.

This thread was very insightful and validated my Swiss movement purchases ..... Thanks for putting in the time to post this.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
I know there are a lot of members who say save the money buy the Asian clone ...... and invest the rest in straps or service .......

In my opinion I would rather pony up the money on the front end to get higher quality parts in a longer lasting ETA movement. My local watch smith prefers working on the ETA movements.

I only own one REP with an Asian movement (A7750 SEC running @6) - this is the only REP that I own that does not run correctly and broke about a month into ownership.

This thread was very insightful and validated my Swiss movement purchases ..... Thanks for putting in the time to post this.

Hi jmgenrty
You were right in any case if the "Swiss" movement you had in the replicas were a real "Swiss" like the movement shown in this thread.
Unfortunately, the "Swiss" movement you will receive will not be the same of the original in this thread.
You will receive, at best, a "cheap Swiss" Low beat movement with a "cheap" Novodiac shock protection system instead of Incabloc and with an horrible Swan Neck , the same or worse than which you have in a replica.
Save your money and you will get a very good and accurate enough Asian mvmt.
Just my opinion

ALE

marlin2284

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
1/2/12

Sorry to reply so late. The write up is not complete, I need to first finish up some watches I promised I would have done before I leave on holiday.

Just to clarify, when I say identical, what I mean is only visually to the naked eye. The Asian movements are serviceable without any issues, but, however the parts are inferior in their materials and overall construction compared to their Swiss counterparts. If you take an Asian movement to a watch smith to be serviced they should not have a problem doing so, if they decide to take on the work. Many will not take the chance on working with reps, or will wave responsibly for any damages done to the rep watch. That being said, if they take on the work and they are not careful the parts that go into the Asian movements are a great deal less forgiving than those in the Swiss. I hope to complete this thread after I return for holiday and have some quiet time, as there is still a great deal to go both in pictures and descriptions.

mswatson

Getting To Know The Place
30/5/12
This is an awesome review! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD