• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Show & Tell: What's everyone do for work?

Sycc

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
22/3/23
USA
Lifelong commercial fisherman. Generally fish for scallops 6-7 months out of the year, and black sea bass/flounder/porgies another month out of the year. This isn't that BS you see on TV. I actually fish in the REAL deadliest catch fisheries. Scallop trips can take up to 21 days (open bottom(unlimited poundage), if you're working with a slave driver), and as little as 4-5 days fishing in closed bottom areas (18k pounds or less).

Each scallop is shucked by hand, one by one. Literally, we shuck every damn one of them. Fishing is easy, just haul the net in, and float the trash out & then take a pick & throw the fish in the basket, then put 'em on ice & bring 'em to the dock for y'all to eat/enjoy (the only seafood I'll eat is shrimp - after working with it for so long, even the smell of it cooking just makes me nauseous)

Here's a video, and some pics I've taken over the years. Can't wait to hear what everyone else does for work.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
When I was a young man I did some ski mountaineering (and had questionable taste in outer wear).

Then I followed my passion (for poor fashion) and did a tour as a tech bro.

My tech gig worked out, so now I spend a lot of time skiing (but this time I can afford proper outer wear).

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
Training and developing future ⭐️’s…..
la liga soccer GIF by Sevilla Fútbol Club

big_polarbear

Captain SWAGddock
Certified
27/7/20
Sweden
Lifelong commercial fisherman. Generally fish for scallops 6-7 months out of the year, and black sea bass/flounder/porgies another month out of the year. This isn't that BS you see on TV. I actually fish in the REAL deadliest catch fisheries. Scallop trips can take up to 21 days (open bottom(unlimited poundage), if you're working with a slave driver), and as little as 4-5 days fishing in closed bottom areas (18k pounds or less).

Each scallop is shucked by hand, one by one. Literally, we shuck every damn one of them. Fishing is easy, just haul the net in, and float the trash out & then take a pick & throw the fish in the basket, then put 'em on ice & bring 'em to the dock for y'all to eat/enjoy (the only seafood I'll eat is shrimp - after working with it for so long, even the smell of it cooking just makes me nauseous)

Here's a video, and some pics I've taken over the years. Can't wait to hear what everyone else does for work.

A real job !! Very nice pics :)

Reactions: IAmRobTV

Sycc

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
22/3/23
USA
Shipping & logistics

3yrMo1.jpg
Most people don't realize the true size of what you're on. My boat is a toy vs that. I always love seeing y'all at night, seeing a floating light show(basically). The boat I run now has twin Cat 3508b's for power & she maxes out @ 1800 rpm - 13 knots......meanwhile, y'all at 1300 feet are pushing 20 knots+ with ease.

Or, are you on a tug? Also your sig - LOL. Everyone wants a boat, but doesn't understand the acronym is really as real as it gets: Bust Out Another (hundred) Thousand.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Certified
18/12/15
Most people don't realize the true size of what you're on. My boat is a toy vs that. I always love seeing y'all at night, seeing a floating light show(basically). The boat I run now has twin Cat 3508b's for power & she maxes out @ 1800 rpm - 13 knots......meanwhile, y'all at 1300 feet are pushing 20 knots+ with ease.

Or, are you on a tug? Also your sig - LOL. Everyone wants a boat, but doesn't understand the acronym is really as real as it gets: Bust Out Another (hundred) Thousand.
They are humongous however I don’t work on the vessels. I desk dive every day managing an office, people, money, cargo, profits, customers, targets, leads, tenders, cargo release, delivery, pickup, export, import etc.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Patron
Certified
13/10/16
@big_polarbear @johnlogan
thanks for the likes but which one of the to "things" do you prefer ? :ROFLMAO:

@johnlogan ... it's been a long time since we met :rolleyes:
I'll try to visit my grandchildren in Oslo next autumn ... September or October ... if I do I'll PM you so we can have a beer at Aker Brygge ...