• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Shipping from Italy - Customs, stolen, lost?

MasterM

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Banned
13/10/22
Hi guys,

I bought a watch from a member here on the forum.
He shipped it on the 2nd of January via PosteItaliane.

I know Italian postal service is the slowest in Europe, but I start to worry. Paid more than 800€ for the watch..

So the Tracking ID shows that it was posted at 2nd of January in the morning in the post office, and at the same day it was at the International Post Distribution Center in Milano already.

Since that day, there is absolutely NO update in the Tracking ID. It is supposed to arrive in Germany, so the way from Milano is not really far as well.
I bought another watch from another member from Italy a good month ago. He shipped with UPS, it arrived within 3 days from Italy to Germany...

After getting really nervous about the shipment, I asked the seller to call PosteItaliane. He said the lady at the phone support center said:
"as promised i’ve called them and after 24 minutes of waiting they tell me that the package still on normal check customs and that nothing strange its reported from them untill now. She tell me that it’s under natural check and that will be cleared soon."

I think this answer from the postal lady is very weird. Which customs? Which "natural check"? Why it need to be cleared? It is a package from Italy to Germany, there are no customs?

Any idea what is going on? Any experience with PosteItaliane?
The seller I bought the watch from is registered since more than 10 years and reputable, so I am sure he did not scammed me.
But after checking the Tracking ID it seems that he send the watch not in a package but just in an envelope.. and I fear that someone in the notorious PosteItaliane just stole the watch out of the envelope... :(

wubsub

i like subs
Patron
Certified
31/10/18
sorry who are?
8 days wow...crazy

we just finished the xmas/new year period and operators are BACKLOGGED especially with normal postal services

Last edited:

PTwatchLover

Certified
29/8/22
Portugal
Recently it took almost 2 weeks from a package to go from Italy to me in Portugal so I don't think that what you describe is unusual. Everything will turn out to be ok.

Reactions: MasterM

MasterM

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Banned
13/10/22
8 days wow...crazy

Irony? :D I am just not used to such long shipping times from EU country to EU country, especially as it is literally faster walking from Milano to my address than it took now :D

Recently it took almost 2 weeks from a package to go from Italy to me in Portugal so I don't think that what you describe is unusual. Everything will turn out to be ok.

Okay, this is calming me down. With your pacakge, it was like that as well, that the status was not updated for over a week? If there would be some updates here and there, I would not worry.
But I just wonder what happened to the envelope within the last 8 days since it was being scanned at the international distribution center in Milano? Just lying around there?

PTwatchLover

Certified
29/8/22
Portugal
Okay, this is calming me down. With your pacakge, it was like that as well, that the status was not updated for over a week? If there would be some updates here and there, I would not worry.
But I just wonder what happened to the envelope within the last 8 days since it was being scanned at the international distribution center in Milano? Just lying around there?

No updates at all. There was just radio silence until the package was received in Portugal, 2 days before it arrived at my house.

MasterM

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Banned
13/10/22
No updates at all. There was just radio silence until the package was received in Portugal, 2 days before it arrived at my house.
Okay very nice to hear. Seems like PosteItaliane is just completely slow af and unreliable and I need to sit it out.

I just wonder why the lady that the seller called, from the postal service, said the item would be in customs clearance.. A bit unusual.. But okay, I will sit and wait. Thanks for your reassuring answer.

Luquito

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/4/22
UK
I wouldn't worry, this time of year is notorious for backlogs. I once had a package sitting in Heathrow Distribution Centre for around 8 weeks before it was finally delivered to me. I had no updates until one day it just arrived.

As for what the postal agent said, I wouldn't count on their updates. I must of called my local postal service a million times during my wait and each time it was completely different story.

Be patient and it will turn up mate :)

PTwatchLover

Certified
29/8/22
Portugal
I wouldn't worry, this time of year is notorious for backlogs. I once had a package sitting in Heathrow Distribution Centre for around 8 weeks before it was finally delivered to me. I had no updates until one day it just arrived.
True. Last month DHL took 20 days to move a parcel from Germany to Portugal and it is DHL!

Route66

24/4/21
Have you already tried tracking the delivery via SDA website?
SDA is a kind of poste italiane sister company.
Poste italiane tracking system is slow in updating these days.

MasterM

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Banned
13/10/22
Have you already tried tracking the delivery via SDA website?
SDA is a kind of poste italiane sister company.
Poste italiane tracking system is slow in updating these days.

Bro, I tried PosteItaliane, DHL, parcelsapp, 17track :D :D

But the seller just told me the package finally left Italy. NO IDEA what it did there 9 days and how he knows, most probably called the post service again, but maybe my anxiety will be finally gone soon lol. I am not a very patient person.. :D

Reactions: PTwatchLover

Winni1611

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
15/10/22
Germany
Just received a parcel from Italy . Send on 29th of Dec, arriving yesterday with no tracking information available during the time.

MasterM

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Banned
13/10/22
Update:
It arrived yesterday

Notice to myself:
When ordering something from Italy, NEVER use PosteItaliane anymore. They are the worst postal service in Europe. The package just chilled around in the sortation center for 9 days. Total delivery was around 2 weeks.
When I got something from Italy via UPS, it took just 3 days.

I sent something TO Italy in the past, same experience. Was in Italy within ONE day, but then took over a week to travel 250km within Italy.

But hey, at least no customs whatsoever.

Reactions: Luquito

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Glad this came to a good end, and thanks for clearing this up in this thread. Enjoy your watch!

But speaking about postal services, I think PostaItaliane actually did a good job here. It took DPD a year to deliver a watch to me :)

MasterM

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Banned
13/10/22
Well I found this meme and now I am sure it is online for a reason :D :D