• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sell Franken 16610 for Gen

Rolexmike69

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
13/4/22
Louisville KY
Just looking for overall thoughts on this. Let me preface this by saying I have several newer model Gen subs. All are ceramic models.

I built a 16610 1989 L serial #
It has a clone 3135
And Viet Cade……
Everything else on this is genuine and period, correct.
Was thinking about selling it to buy a gen 16610

Is it worth it to try and sell this to get a gen?
I have about $4600 into this piece.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Mike

Reactions: Dave2302

KGZ

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
28/9/22
No matter how many gen parts you throw at it, a rep will never offer the advantages of a gen the main one being the potential to appreciate in value over time.

The 16610 is a neo vintage watch that has such potential.

Personally, I think that using watches as investment vehicles is silly. There are more suitable investment options offering better and/or more likely returns and not carrying a risk of theft or loss.

But I do understand that it’s always nice to know that your watch is appreciating in value while you are enjoying it.

At the end of the day it all boils down to what you think about the move being worth it or not. If the 16610 is a must have or a grail watch to you then you should go for it because, as time goes, it will become increasingly harder to get a gen 16610 at a reasonable price. Just look at the price of 4 digits subs.

If not, then keep your franken and use the money to expand your collection with other nice pieces.

Last edited:

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Umm interesting question. I assume that since you have a few Gen Rolex at present then money may not be so much an issue, it sounds like it’s a case of you’d rather have a gen 16610 than a Franken. As P0pperini says Gen is Gen.

Personally I constantly struggle with the concept of value. I love quality and try to buy quality items over cheap items as much as possible but there comes a point where the price point of quality is not relevant to something that is considerably cheaper but of only a slightly less quality than it’s expensive equivalen, if that makes sense?

I am in a similar predicamen, kind of. I have a Gen 14060M and I love it. I am fortunate that I can afford it and do not need the money that it would give me back if I sold it today. Now, I have a VSF 124060 on its way, I‘m not sure if the gen really represents good value now. Compare $16000 to $900 Aud for essentially the same thing, a very nice watch that tells the time!

Of course one is ‘real’ and one is not but really who cares? I’m pretty sure that I am the only one!

I‘m still on the fence whether I should let the Gen go, I had it for 4 years and is worth $3000 more than I paid for it! That is a no brainer in my book and presumably it will continue to go up in value. I can hear myself now saying in 5 years time when my VSF packs up… “man, I should never have sold that watch”. And even worse saying “ God I wish I still had that watch because I can’t afford to replace it now”!!

I’m sure my reply has been of zero use to you but I think in your heart you probably know the desision that you will ultimately come too. Enjoy the journey my friend.

Reaps

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/22
Just looking for overall thoughts on this. Let me preface this by saying I have several newer model Gen subs. All are ceramic models.

I built a 16610 1989 L serial #
It has a clone 3135
And Viet Cade……
Everything else on this is genuine and period, correct.
Was thinking about selling it to buy a gen 16610

Is it worth it to try and sell this to get a gen?
I have about $4600 into this piece.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Mike
My opinion

Yes.

This is something I noticed. Many super franken owners often end up selling their pieces on the forum. Because they realize gen is gen, rep is rep. Like others have said, throwing gen parts together doesn't make gen.

The thing is frankening is almost never good value... diminishing returns, a $1000 gen dial only brings like 5% better details...

If you have trouble selling the watch you can always part it out and sell the gen parts individually

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
In another hand, frankening is like a sport : the chase, the building, the concept, I'm not impartial here as I love frankening. It makes the watch unique. As such, and as said above, gens are gens. Frankens are... something else.

Well built with well chosen parts, franken can quickly make a gen NWBIG. Now it's all about the legacy, service and growing financial value that the difference will mainly show, certainly not the look on your wrist.

At best you recover the money invested at 1rst or at small loss, and the feeling of a good franken as a watch is awesome.
Now if you want on top of that all of the above, sell the beast and get a gen 👍

My franken Kermit says Hi

Last edited:

Rolexmike69

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
13/4/22
Louisville KY
No matter how many gen parts you throw at it, a rep will never offer the advantages of a gen the main one being the potential to appreciate in value over time.

The 16610 is a neo vintage watch that has such potential.

Personally, I think that using watches as investment vehicles is silly. There are more suitable investment options offering better and/or more likely returns and not carrying a risk of theft or loss.

But I do understand that it’s always nice to know that your watch is appreciating in value while you are enjoying it.

At the end of the day it all boils down to what you think about the move being worth it or not. If the 16610 is a must have or a grail watch to you then you should go for it because, as time goes, it will become increasingly harder to get a gen 16610 at a reasonable price. Just look at the price of 4 digits subs.

If not, then keep your franken and use the money to expand your collection with other nice pieces.
Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Dave2302

Rolexmike69

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
13/4/22
Louisville KY
In another hand, frankening is like a sport : the chase, the building, the concept, I'm not impartial here as I love frankening. It makes the watch unique. As such, and as said above, gens are gens. Frankens are... something else.

Well built with well chosen parts, franken can quickly make a gen NWBIG. Now it's all about the legacy, service and growing financial value that the difference will mainly show, certainly not the look on your wrist.

At best you recover the money invested at 1rst or at small loss, and the feeling of a good franken as a watch is awesome.
Now if you want on top of that all of the above, sell the beast and get a gen 👍

My franken Kermit says Hi

Great piece!

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
I've gotta throw my hat in for gen here. There's elements to the gen that just cannot be replicated on a franken level, even if they were all gen components put together by the best watchmaker.

As said above, gen really is gen

When it comes to Franken, the best apart about it is sourcing all the stuff and chasing the finish. Once you get there it can be all a bit "what's next"

Maybe just get both 😂

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
I would also go Gen.

I agree with others comments that Gen doesn’t always represent good value and the money can be “invested” better elsewhere.

But the truth is you have a lot of money tied up in that one piece already.

I love frankens but when they start to cost 1/3-1/2 the price of a Gen, it seems as if you should just go all the way.

Damn, I should really start taking my own advice, it sounds so wise when I type it out.

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Thanks for posting this thread, I have been toying with the idea of selling my Gen (see my post above) for about a month or so now and have now absolutely decided to keep it. I just said to the wife that I’ve decided to keep it (not that she cares either way) but bless her she said “You should keep it, you worked hard for it and it makes you feel good” Decision made!

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
Thanks for posting this thread, I have been toying with the idea of selling my Gen (see my post above) for about a month or so now and have now absolutely decided to keep it. I just said to the wife that I’ve decided to keep it (not that she cares either way) but bless her she said “You should keep it, you worked hard for it and it makes you feel good” Decision made!
Does your wife have a sister?