• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

seiko movements in omega replicas?

crucifudge

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/10/09
Sorry if this has been answered, but I was unable to find anything by searching.

I'm looking at 2 omega reps (ones a seamaster, the other is micheal schumacer speedmaster), both look very well put together, however when I asked about the movements he said they were Seiko automatic movements in rep bodies. Is this common for replicas? Is this more or less reliable then in general?

I don't care much about its "quality of movement" moreso its accuracy and reliability.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am Sam

Renowned Member
9/10/09
I am not a big watch buff, but as a proud owner of SPS001 I can tell you that when you talk about seiko's movement they are second best to none. Now whether the Omega reps come loaded with seiko movs or not I am not sure about it but what I can safely best of on is Seiko's reliability. Man! if you see how the second's hand literally glide in sps001 it's just put all the other big name to shame.

clockwerkgoblin

Horology Curious
3/6/09
No, it is not usual for replicas to come with genuine Seiko movements. Most movements are either Chinese inventions, such as the 21J DG2813, 28,000 bph DG4813 (an over clocked DG2813), or inspired clones of eta movements such as the 2824, 2836, and A7750 (chronograph). None of the dealers, afaik (YMMV) stock reps with genuine seiko movements.

Post a link.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I would be very surprised to see Seiko movements in reps. Perhaps you're thinking of the Japanese Citizen/Miyota movements which are occasionally found in reps. For one reason, AFAIK all the automatic Seiko movements are NON hand winding, unlike all the originals of the common rep watches.

The Miyota 8215 is very similar to the DG2813.

bblake

22/8/09
I'd be surprised to hear that there were reps available with Seiko automatic movements. I'd like to buy one if it's true.
As previous posts say, they are great movements for the price. Accurate and robust.

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
I don't care much about its "quality of movement" moreso its accuracy and reliability.

"quality of movement" = accuracy and reliability.

I have never heard of a Seiko movement in a rep. Highly unlikely to happen. The scammer sites talk about "high quality" Japanese movements in their reps (that aren't Swiss ;) ). It sounds to me like something to stay away from.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I doubt you're going to find a Seiko automatic movement in a rep. It would be too expensive. I think youcould buy many gen ETA movements cheaper than you could get your hands on a gen Seiko movement.
But if you find one... BUY IT! Seiko makes excellent movements.
I don't think they make auto chrono movements, though. So despite it being a fantastic movement, I don't know that it would be much better than a clone 2813 or 2836. Those are pretty dependable movements despite being Chinese clones. So I'm nt sure the Seiko would be worth the increased price.
Still, I'd buy it for the uniqueness. But again, I doubt you'll actually find one.

crucifudge

17/10/09
Thanks for the comments

The person is a private seller, from a car forum. They are used watches. He has no feedback about the other 2 watches he sold there, but he has sold at least 20 items, mostly car parts, and has no complaints at all on the website.

These are non-hand wound automatics, and the second hand has about 5 or 6 'ticks' per second. Not rolex smooth, but not timex jerkey either.

The watches look to be between a year and three years old (not banged up or anything, just the way the metal looks like it needs a cleaning) so these are reps that would already be out and about.

Does this info provide more evidince one way or the other?

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
Thanks for the comments

The person is a private seller, from a car forum. They are used watches. He has no feedback about the other 2 watches he sold there, but he has sold at least 20 items, mostly car parts, and has no complaints at all on the website.

These are non-hand wound automatics, and the second hand has about 5 or 6 'ticks' per second. Not rolex smooth, but not timex jerkey either.

The watches look to be between a year and three years old (not banged up or anything, just the way the metal looks like it needs a cleaning) so these are reps that would already be out and about.

Does this info provide more evidince one way or the other?
lets see the pictures of them ........you must have seen pics of them post them on here and let the experts have a look

crucifudge

17/10/09
I know there are some errors here and there, espcially on the speedmaster, but these are them:

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

QinetiQ

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/8/09
"quality of movement" = accuracy and reliability.

I have never heard of a Seiko movement in a rep. Highly unlikely to happen. The scammer sites talk about "high quality" Japanese movements in their reps (that aren't Swiss ;) ). It sounds to me like something to stay away from.

I don't think he meant it in terms of timing accuracy but more about how accurate to the gen the case is and all that

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
Dealer name?

+1

I know it's a private seller, but maybe they were originally bought at:

www.mefukyyouwithoverpricedwatchbysayingithasaseikomovement.com

@ the OP - maybe I missed it (it's early here), but how much is the seller asking?

The Bond has nice hands and surprisingly the bezel insert is reasonably lined up with the outer bezel - one interesting thing I have not seen on the Bond is the oversized 300m/1000ft text (width wise it looks okay, but it looks way too tall to me - maybe the older gens were that way too, but it still looks too tall to me). I'd probably pay $50 or so for it, unless he can prove (or show you) it's not a 21j movement.

I can't speak toward the other as I don't own any Speedmasters.

auwareagle01

12/8/09
Have him take the case backs off and send you pics of them, so that you or we can verify what the type of movement is....to many people out there tell you one thing assuming that you'll never open up the case to check. Asking for pics is not unreasonable....if he doesn't have a tool he can use a ball of Duc Tape, but I wouldn't buy without seeing the movement.....just my 2 cents

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
I've been into reps for a while now. In all that time, I have never EVER heard of a Seiko movement going into a rep. Ever. If I'm not mistaken, Seiko's movements are all in-house. Which means that the only way to get a Seiko movement is to buy a Seiko watch. So while it's theoretically possible that someone did that and put some Seiko movements in an Omega rep, as a practical matter, it didn't happen. The rep makers buy their movements in bulk. AFAIK, you can't buy Seiko movements in bulk. So what you've got in those watches is either a standard Chinese 21j or a second-hand ETA.

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
You can buy Seiko Kinetic movements from Cousins UK don't know about the autos though, never looked for one...

crucifudge

17/10/09
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk4-PJ-Sg50&feature=related"]YouTube - SuperOcean Steelfish Fake/Replica Analysis[/ame]

moves just like this, second minuites and bezel, if that helps

coop

OG member in the Lou
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
St. Louis
I've been into reps for a while now. In all that time, I have never EVER heard of a Seiko movement going into a rep. Ever. If I'm not mistaken, Seiko's movements are all in-house. Which means that the only way to get a Seiko movement is to buy a Seiko watch. So while it's theoretically possible that someone did that and put some Seiko movements in an Omega rep, as a practical matter, it didn't happen. The rep makers buy their movements in bulk. AFAIK, you can't buy Seiko movements in bulk. So what you've got in those watches is either a standard Chinese 21j or a second-hand ETA.

I agree. And for the record, I have never seen a Myiota movement in a rep.
Its probably an asian eta if it sweeps as smooth as the steelfish in the video(hard to tell for as much as the idiot kept moving the watch around), or the seller was told it was a seiko movement. I movement pic would solve the delima.