• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SEIKO GMT mod

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Arghh I can't quit buying Seiko parts, there are so many fun dials to make cool builds.

This dial looks like it was originally made to have a 3 o'clock date window frame so the 14 and 16 minute tics were omitted.

KXKHNW.jpeg

Then obviously the date window was made at 3.8 but that left some unnecessarily missing minute tics. More on this later.

I added a SEIKO sticker. These are super easy to install, they are sandwiched between two layers of paper. You peel off the back to expose the sticky letters, press them down and peel off the front protective layer.

I added a piece of bracelet tape to make sure I got it level. You can set the sticker lightly and check level with pics. Then it can be nudged a little or even removed and reset before pressing it down fully.

KXHNP5.jpeg

KXKzeJ.jpeg

This went well so I decided to try adding the 14 and 16 minute tics back. I did this before on a Rolex dial by cutting and pressing a tiny piece of a neatly cut white sticker right onto the dial. This was 18 months ago and it hasn't budged so I had high hopes for stickers meant to go on a dial.

The letters "I" and "T" in the unused "AUTOMATIC" were good candidates for this effort. They had to be shortened some and cut away from everything else .

KXKDPk.jpeg

KXKZ0o.jpeg

KXHgoD.jpeg

Then they get positioned in place and pressed down

KXHx13.jpeg

KXHEmp.jpeg

Looks so much better!
KXHFet.jpeg

Have black and silver hands, so have to choose
KXHbHn.jpeg

I picked the black hands, but now I think I like the silver ones, hah. Maybe they will get changed. The insert is something different, much less busy than a full GMT insert. I like its simplicity and uniqueness for this fantasy build.

17150457522440.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Couldn't help myself - changed hands heh.

17152558167490.jpg

Now I think I like the black ones better. Haha j/k, time to move on to the next project.

Last edited:

1MoreWatch

Supporter
Certified
15/10/22
Detroit
Yeah, the silver hands go better with the silver indices. But I kinda liked the GMT Master 24hr hand better than the Seiko GS style one. Maybe do silver hands with a blue GMT Master 24hr hand? Haha 😆, the possibilities are endless. I built my first one a month ago, and now I have parts for two more waiting for me - thanks AliExpress!!🤪

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Yeah, the silver hands go better with the silver indices. But I kinda liked the GMT Master 24hr hand better than the Seiko GS style one. Maybe do silver hands with a blue GMT Master 24hr hand? Haha 😆, the possibilities are endless. I built my first one a month ago, and now I have parts for two more waiting for me - thanks AliExpress!!🤪
I have a blue GMT master hand and I'm sure I mocked it up that way. Not sure why I went the way I did, but yeah there are so many combos - I've had 3 sets of hands loosely set on a dial before to try to pick one combo.

Another one I kinda liked
KweiZJ.jpeg

I also have a couple more inbound, these are just so easy and fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1MoreWatch

1MoreWatch

Supporter
Certified
15/10/22
Detroit
Thank you for sharing the bracelet alignment trick. I have done a couple of these freestyle and it was challenging. Also the tick-mark addition is brilliant! I will remember this, it could come in handy for other uses as well.

Reactions: KJ2020