• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

seamaster crown not engaging

studlley64

Known Member
24/2/19
USA
hi there,
the crown does not screw in keeps popping out! any ideas how to fix it?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Most likely it needs the keyless works to be reset.

The exact steps vary depending on the movement but are similar. Hands, dial, and datewheel all have to be removed.

An example

Reactions: Caboose

studlley64

Known Member
24/2/19
USA
Was hoping I don’t have to rest the key less.
I just tried to rest a 2836 keyless on my noob submariner, but a little v shape spring kept flying, wine though 10 of them. Need to by more it’s a pain in the a$$!

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Was hoping I don’t have to rest the key less.
I just tried to rest a 2836 keyless on my noob submariner, but a little v shape spring kept flying, wine though 10 of them. Need to by more it’s a pain in the a$$!
Until you are more experienced and confident in your skills, cover the movement with a piece of clear plastic wrap with a couple of holes for tools. It will keep feisty parts from going ballistic.

It may not be the keyless anyway because I’d expect issues you didn’t mention. However, if crown and stem are loose and/or do not click into place, if you can’t wind the mainspring, if you can’t advance the date, and/or if you can’t set the time, your keyless will need to be reset.

If the only problem is that the crown refuses to screw down, it is a threading issue. As @Geonor pointed out, it is a common problem with VSF Seamasters. If so, either the tube or the crown (or both) will need to be replaced and, if you are careful, you will not need to mess with the keyless.

Reactions: Snooky and Karbon74

Kerbus

Renowned Member
16/3/06
FL
I saw a bunch of how to videos on this topic on YouTube and although I didn’t see the Seamaster featured in particular, the process appears to be generic

studlley64

Known Member
24/2/19
USA
I can change the time and the date no issue. I don't think is A keyless issue!!

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I am pretty sure it's the combination of two issues that compounded each other

- stripped thread
- crown spring damaged

Changing the pendant tube on an Omega is straightforward. They are push fitted.

this tool makes the work fool proof.

• Love
Reactions: Got20Mate

Kerbus

Renowned Member
16/3/06
FL
I have one rep I almost never wear with pretty much the same issue: crown doesn’t screw down It’s not worth my while to try to get new parts for it. The same issue can pop up for a gen too. I have a Baume&Mercier with a very finicky crown. You have to angle it a certain way to get it to screw down. I suppose the crown or the tube is going. I just let it run since it’s a quartz and rarely mess with the crown.

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Your crown screws inside the tube so it is a bit of a challenge to see if the threads are stripped. But replacement crowns for the Seamaster are often sold with tubes. Once you have a new crown and tube, you’ll be able to test the threads.

If the new crown screws firmly into the existing tube, there is no need to replace the tube. Just screw your stem from the old crown into the new crown and you’re golden.

If the tube needs replacing, use the tool @Karbon74 recommends to push the tube out. It usually comes out without a problem.

Reactions: Karbon74

studlley64

Known Member
24/2/19
USA
Your crown screws inside the tube so it is a bit of a challenge to see if the threads are stripped. But replacement crowns for the Seamaster are often sold with tubes. Once you have a new crown and tube, you’ll be able to test the threads.

If the new crown screws firmly into the existing tube, there is no need to replace the tube. Just screw your stem from the old crown into the new crown and you’re golden.

If the tube needs replacing, use the tool @Karbon74 recommends to push the tube out. It usually comes out without a problem.
where can I source the replacement crown for the seamaster?