• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Seamaster Aqua Terra: Day Date ETA vs. Spectre MIYOTA 8215? - first rep

Tomas

Horology Curious
21/12/15
Hello everyone!

I found this forum and I seem to sink into the world of reps. That's why I want to buy my first rep.

I'm hesitating between Seamaster Aqua Terra Day Date with Swiss ETA http://www.tswatch.club/15515-15515.html and Spectre Limited Edition with modified Miyota 8215 http://www.tswatch.club/17200-om17200-seamaster-007-blue-dial-ss-a8507.html .

I like the looks of the latter better, undoubtedly. However, I think that the ETA movement gives better chances of precision and reliability than Miyota, am I right? What do you think? Is the difference between the mechanisms big?

I assume that it may sound like a noob question, but maybe you can help me. I've read the thread concerning swiss ETA vs. Asian movements in general and there is no clear answer. I've read the thread concerning Aqua Terra Spectre Limited Edition and some single problems with the mechanism were mentioned, however they seem to be in minority. On the other hand, are those swiss ETAs much more reliable? Do I assume correctly that it would be much easier to repair the Aqua Terra Day Date with ETA at a random watchmaker here where I live than the Miyota in Spectre Edition?

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
Simple answer is this. Miyota is Japanese and owned by Citizen. The 8215 is a well known and respected movement, accurate, reliable and well made. It's fast becoming (along with the slightly higher grade 9015) the movement of choice for small boutique brands now that ETA are limiting supplies of their movements. Certainly individual parts for ETA can be bought but frankly you can buy a whole new spare 8215 for $30 should you need to replace anything. The 8215's only slight issue is that they can sometimes suffer from second hand stutter due to an indirectly driven second hand. This is when the second hand jumps and doesn't tick smoothly. It doesn't affect accuracy at all and is just a visual thing. It can be adjusted. The 9015 doesn't suffer this particular phenomenon due to having a directly driven second hand.

It's a bit of an urban myth that Swiss is better I'm afraid!!

imranbecks

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/15
The Neutral Zone
There is nothing wrong with the Miyota. It's just as reliable and keeps good time. My Spectre is keeping good time for nearly a month now since getting it. The Miyota is known for the occasional stutter, but as far as I can see, it does not affect the timing so much. Get the Spectre if you like it.

Tomas

Horology Curious
21/12/15
Thanks a lot! That really helped me, I'm going for the Spectre.

blass12

Known Member
17/10/15
Thanks a lot! That really helped me, I'm going for the Spectre.

The 8215 that I had stuttered, and if I shook my wrist the second hand would actually stop for a millisecond, and the rotor was also extremely noisy, it made the watch sound cheap imo.

imranbecks

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/15
The Neutral Zone
The 8215 that I had stuttered, and if I shook my wrist the second hand would actually stop for a millisecond, and the rotor was also extremely noisy, it made the watch sound cheap imo.

As mentioned, the stutter of the second hand is normal and it's not shock resistant, hence the pause when your wrist shakes, again, this is normal. The rotor noise on mine however is barely noticeable unless I really put the watch close to my ear and move it. Even then, it isn't even loud enough for it to sound cheap.