• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Schrödinger’s Daytona Dial Markers

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
I’m ordering a custom meteorite dial for a Daytona project I’m working on. My manufacturer just sent me a couple of proof pics. The meteorite slice is clearly the same in both pics, but one really looks like the hour markers and crown are gold and the other really looks like they’re silver. Am I on crazy pills?

I understand that this could be a trick of the light / colour temperature settings on the camera. But I assume these are cell phone pics, so it feels unlikely that there were major lighting / color temp changes between sequential shots. Or is this one of those blue & black vs gold and white dress optical illusions?

oceaon

Lost time is never found again.
Banned
27/1/22
US
Looks like the first shot is outside in natural light, and the other is inside under a lamp. It's def silver.

Reactions: dogwood

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
Buff dial

Yes the first one is silver and second gold, maybe he just show you the 2 possibilities that are available with

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
I’m ordering a custom meteorite dial for a Daytona project I’m working on. My manufacturer just sent me a couple of proof pics. The meteorite slice is clearly the same in both pics, but one really looks like the hour markers and crown are gold and the other really looks like they’re silver. Am I on crazy pills?

I understand that this could be a trick of the light / colour temperature settings on the camera. But I assume these are cell phone pics, so it feels unlikely that there were major lighting / color temp changes between sequential shots. Or is this one of those blue & black vs gold and white dress optical illusions?

They're probably white gold coated.

White gold appears yellowish in some pics.and certain light conditions.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Second picture is shot in warmer lighting. Both dials are the same. Just different conditions.

Reactions: Oascom and dogwood

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Buff dial

Yes the first one is silver and second gold, maybe he just show you the 2 possibilities that are available with
What’s the tell that it’s a buff dial? I’m curious since I wasn’t expecting buff… and if it is then I’m certainly happy — buff is a good dial maker.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
They're probably white gold coated.

White gold appears yellowish in some pics.and certain light conditions.
If the markers and crown are white gold plated, then I’m very happy. I wasn’t expecting that level of detail.

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
What’s the tell that it’s a buff dial? I’m curious since I wasn’t expecting buff… and if it is then I’m certainly happy — buff is a good dial maker.
The wide crown

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
If the markers and crown are white gold plated, then I’m very happy. I wasn’t expecting that level of detail.
Could be they just have a certain mix of metal that looks yellow. Arf used to do this. You cannot tell the difference in color between my gen coronet, gen hands and arf markers.

Look Here

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
The wide crown
#TodayILearned thanks for the heads up. I just went and looked at the crown on my noob v4 and CF v1 under a loupe — noticeably different. That’s a nice trick for IDing rep dials.

m120

Known Member
Patron
Certified
28/9/18
USA
Love the dial! May I ask where you are planning on getting it from? I am looking for a meteorite dial as well.

Reactions: lytnin

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
PM me and I’ll share the WeChat seller. I don’t think we can post non-TD info publicly.

Reactions: ricciox

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The unique meteorite strands at 11 and 4 o'clock (and elsewhere) show it to be the same dial. Very nice dial!

Last edited:

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
The unique meteorite strands at 11 and 4 o'clock (and elsewhere) show it to be the same dial. Very nice dial!
Agreed. Interestingly there appears to be a colour difference between the dial markers and the stainless steel of the case (it’s a BTF base). I can’t wait to get this in hand. I received tracking info today… should be a couple of weeks in transit.

Gabriele75rn

16/8/20
This dial is amazing... maybe they can make for models in rose gold and yellow gold too...

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Agreed. Interestingly there appears to be a colour difference between the dial markers and the stainless steel of the case (it’s a BTF base). I can’t wait to get this in hand. I received tracking info today… should be a couple of weeks in transit.

That's exactly the same pattern as the dial in your original pics. So was your dial previously mounted or are there multiples of the same pattern?

I see the color difference between markers and the case that you pointed out. If it bothers you too much, I call dibs, haha.

Last edited: