• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

RWG.bz is down for at least 24 hours - EDIT NOW BACK UP!

greg_r

Departed Friend
Patron
8/7/08
Folks,

We're having some server problems at rwg.bz, which means that the forum will be down for at least 24 hours. Currently I'm not sure of the exact cause of the problem, but am investigating.

The good news is that I've managed to grab an absolutely up-to-date backup of the database, so we won't lose anything. The bad news is that unfortunately I will be away from the computer for the rest of the day due to prior commitments, so it will be tomorrow morning before I really get the chance to get into this.

Apologies for the downtime.

UPDATE: 09:45 GMT 4th Dec

Okay, its confirmed that we have a corrupt disk array. Not entirely sure of the cause as yet. Most of the effort so far has been in getting full up-to-date backups of the board directory (we'd already manage to recover the database, but our other backups were a few days old) and all ancillary files.

Whether we fix the existing server or move to another one, this is going to require a full re-install of the server, so is going to be a slow process. I'll get it done as fast as possible, but I do also have a high-pressure job (not to mention that it's also my wife's birthday) so other things are going to take me away from this from time to time. I'll post more info when I know exactly where we stand.

UPDATE: 10.30 GMT 4th Dec

Okay - the bad news is that the server RAID controller is FUBAR. The hosts could replace it within a few hours, but given that we were planning to do a server upgrade/migration within the next couple of months anyhow, I've taken the decision to do it now. They're prepping a shiny new machine for us as I type this. This is going to take a little time, folks... No more updates today; the new machine should be ready for installation tomorrow. I'm hoping that we'll be back up for the weekend, but no promises just yet.

Ok, I lied. Another update: 14.30GMT 4th Dec

Our hosts were kind enough to fast-track the setup of the new server for us, so I already have access to it. There will be several hours of configuration to move everything over and then we have to wait for our domain name to re-direct to the new IP address, but progress is being made, and it may not take as long as originally feared. Watch this space!

UPDATE: 16.30 GMT 4th Dec

Okay folks - come on home. We're back up. I'm still configuring stuff behind the scenes so we may have a few glitches, but hopefully nothing serious. Note that whilst some of you may have access immediately, others may have to wait for their ISPs DNS servers to catch up with our move to the new server. Not much we can do about that, I'm afraid, but clear your browser cache and Google 'flush DNS cache' as both/either might help if you're having trouble getting to RWG.

I'm gonna go have a nervous breakdown now. Later, guys ;)

lmibcn

Horology Curious
3/1/13
Thanks Greg, we'll just laze around here for a while longer so

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
Thanks Greg, hope its nothing serious, but good to hear you have a up to date back up :)

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Oh lordy, here we go again. Last time it took weeks to clean up the pizza boxen and beer cans . . .

plankton

Renowned Member
18/4/14
Thanks for the info Greg, hope we are up sooner than later.

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14
Oh lordy, here we go again. Last time it took weeks to clean up the pizza boxen and beer cans . . .

We could rename the tick box at the registration page from "I'm a spammer" to "I'm from RWG"........... Should keep 'm out :lol:

BentleySharp

Horology Curious
20/10/13
Greg, You've really gotta stop using the server racks to keep your pizza warm while you're at the computer... That dripping cheese can really botch things up.
Well, Untill you can get it all cleaned out, I'll be here, aimlessly wandering in circles and staring blankly at the sky untill RWG is back up.

I know it's hard and thankless work to keep things running. Now it's just hard. Thanks Greg! :D

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I'm sorry to hear that Greg. Best wishes and good luck on fixing the problem.

85genius

Known Member
14/5/14
Just tried to sign up here with RWG being down and found out I already registered :facepalm: