• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Royals Oak Chrono Custom Build Idea

nukacola

Supporter
Certified
13/7/18
Canada
Hey everyone,

I am looking to do a RO chrono build, and I was wondering:

1. Who do you guys recommend as a watchmaker who is familiar with building APs.

2. What other mods do you suggest?

I would like to get this watch the following done:

First I need to strip the gold and thin the case down to the thinnest possible, and maybe coat it in PVD.

Then the movement needs to be lubricated, cleaned, with the rotor silenced.

By this point you have a PVD chrono watch with a black dial that has delicate gold accents around the sub-dials. Very understated yet luxurious.

The last thing would be to waterproof it. For a watch like this maybe even just 5ATM would be lucky. So my expectations aren’t very high at all.

One thing I missed earlier is maybe smoothing corners and edges so it’s not razor sharp like JF 15400s.

Also please let me know if there is anything you guys think should be done. I am more than open to suggestions.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The idea is sound.
I am assuming that you do not care about accuracy of details, because even if the watch is thinned down to the max, it will be way too thick. Also, many other flaws exist for this model. But if you like it, and is after a "custom ROC" as opposed to a "gen like" ones (I dislike that term on reps personally) then yes your idea does work visually.
This specific movement will need a full overhaul (service) to be reliable, and you may consider doing that and adding a swiss mainspring.
Modders wise, there are a few hanging around, just find and ping one you are comfortable with.

Do note that after all has been modded, you will end up with a watch which is more a novelty than a replica, and given the incorrect case dimensions, a possible parody of the sleek and ergonomic ROC.

Reactions: Allure

nukacola

Supporter
Certified
13/7/18
Canada
Yeah this is more of a parody piece than a true to Gen replica. And my expectations are more leaning towards making something that is passably thin, while relatively reliable, and looking tasteful all at the same time. I doubt there is an actual model of what I describe. But I honestly don’t care because this is more of a toy than trying to pass it off as the real thing.

as for watchmakers, is there anyone good with APs who you would suggest?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Yeah this is more of a parody piece than a true to Gen replica. And my expectations are more leaning towards making something that is passably thin, while relatively reliable, and looking tasteful all at the same time. I doubt there is an actual model of what I describe. But I honestly don’t care because this is more of a toy than trying to pass it off as the real thing.

as for watchmakers, is there anyone good with APs who you would suggest?

Try to send slaughterer62 a PM. Or Domi who is dmuit here I think. They are the best guys I know personally.
I like your creative idea actually. Any limitation is not of your doing but rather caused by the movement used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure