• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Submariner Date or No-Date which is better?

Corneredtigers

Horology Curious
31/5/20
Hi,

I'm a newbie here who is about to buy a Rolex sub zzf v3.

What I wanted to know is which is better date sub or no-date sub.

I've been reading the forums where people had issues with date wheels, these where on older version and different factory watches however I just wanted your opinion regarding this subject.

scottiedog

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/16
Hello and :welcome:

I prefer no date but I am not a lover of the cyclops. I also never look at my watch for the date and I think the face is much cleaner without the date being there.

Of course, as you rightly say, no date means you don't have to worry about any DW flaw. Win-win, IMO.

Others will disagree, it is down to personal preference.

EDIT: In fairness, the DWs are generally pretty good now but if you wanted to be picky you can add a gen DW with little cost. That's what I would do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corneredtigers

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
depends on what you mean by "better"?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
What I wanted to know is which is better date sub or no-date sub.
ZmteTX.jpg

There's only one way to find out...

Zmt5bi.jpg

kavorca1

cosa nostra for life.
Supporter
12/5/20
SoCal
Which ever you get you could always swap out the movement for Swiss eta and get more reliability if that's what you mean by "better"

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
I mean reliability wise.

I was reading that date wheels develop issues overtime and often don't work properly.

It depends on the movement for each of the watch. Both date and no date subs are available from various factories and in various movements, mostly Rolex clones or ETA clones. ETA clones tend to be more reliable though Rolex clones such as the vr3135 have become very solid.

So look at the available options and select the factory and movement that you prefer, but make sure to understand the trade offs (Ex: ETA has lower stem height)

Corneredtigers

Horology Curious
31/5/20
It depends on the movement for each of the watch. Both date and no date subs are available from various factories and in various movements, mostly Rolex clones or ETA clones. ETA clones tend to be more reliable though Rolex clones such as the vr3135 have become very solid.

So look at the available options and select the factory and movement that you prefer, but make sure to understand the trade offs (Ex: ETA has lower stem height)

I will be going for ZZF v3 vr3135.

Corneredtigers

Horology Curious
31/5/20
My experience is that at the beginning the date is nice and slim, rolls over easily at midnight.

As the years go by, the date puts on weight and becomes more and more reluctant to roll over without a good nudge.

I will most likely go for no date sub now. I just want to avoid running into these issues.