• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Milgauss w/Green Sapphire Full Review

daytona4me

Chinese Shrimp Rider
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
As promised, I have purchased this Rolex Milgauss Black Dial to do a review.

Model: Rolex Milgauss 116400V
Movement: ETA 2836-1
Sapphire: Genuine Green Crystal with AR coating (coating has a green/blue hue)
Bracelet: Oyster w/Easylock system
Extras: Faraday Cage Anti-Magnetic Shielding System

Measurements as taken by a digital caliper are as follows:
Weight: 137 grams
Case w/crown: 42mm
Case w/out crown: 39.75mm
Case Back to Sapphire top thickness: 12.60mm
Lug Width: 20mm

Bracelet at Clasp: 16mm

This Limited Edition Milguass 116400V M-Series watch has been called one of the most collectible modern watches ever.
It's French name suggest high resistance to magnetic fields (with magnetic flux density up to 1,000 gauss) and (The Genuine) a perfect choice for someone who works in close proximity of high magnetic fields, the replica... not so sure what that surround is made of.

The stainless steel case is 40mm (actually measured at 39.75mm) in diameter with the aforementioned green sapphire crystal and with text on the caseback.
The case also features the desirable smooth bezel, and polished center links on the Oyster bracelet. The genuine case is water resistant to 100 meters, the replica.. you try first and report back.. lol :lol:

This watch is a pleasant surprise to someone who is not thrilled with the idea of owning a Rolex (that's me!). It does not emanate that flashy jubilee look at me sparkle and will not likely be the first watch in the crowd called out as a replica.

As far as accuracy goes, the coronet seems accurately placed on the dial and the fonts are all pretty accurate except for the "Milgauss" where the lettering is too thick, the spacing of the swiss made is spot on as well.
I think that the second hand is just a little too short but only by around 1mm. The color of the second hand is pretty close but could be just a tad darker imo.
The model number is accurately stamped between the lugs "116400", what I do not know is if the genuine says "Orig Rolex Design 116400" maybe someone can confirm this wording on a genuine for me.

What is glaringly inaccurate is the case back. I have not seen a genuine with a holographic sticker (not in any of the pictures I have found thus far) and the model stamped on the holographic sticker says 116200 which is not a model number for a Milgauss. I do not know if all of these have this error, it may just be a mistake on mine, but as previously noted, the case is accurately stamped between the lugs.

Now for some pictures: Please be sure to look at the genuine and replica comparisons.

GENUINE:
RX116400VMILTZ-02.jpg

REPLICA:
milguass003-1.jpg

GENUINE:
RX116400VMILTZ-01.jpg

REPLICA:
milgauss002-1.jpg

GENUINE:
RX116400VMILTZ-03.jpg

REPLICA:
milgauss006.jpg

GENUINE:
RX116400VMILTZ-07.jpg

REPLICA:
milgauss023.jpg

Some additional pictures for your viewing pleasure..

milgauss004.jpg

milgauss005.jpg

milgauss004.jpg

milgauss005.jpg

milgauss007.jpg

milgauss008.jpg

milgauss012.jpg

milgauss013.jpg

milgauss019.jpg

milgauss020.jpg

milgauss016.jpg

milgauss017.jpg

milgauss018.jpg

milgauss022.jpg

daytona4me

Chinese Shrimp Rider
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
Ok, got the pictures up.. :)

horologie_unitas

Respected Member
3/12/06
very nice comparison.
the movement really seems to be swiss.

where did you get the gen for use in the pics ?

that is one special Rolex.....i mean unique !

daytona4me

Chinese Shrimp Rider
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I will likely sell this as I am not a rolex fan.. even my favorite above.. just wont get wrist time..

TA8088

SCAMMER
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
INMATE
28/10/07
Great review and pics D4M. A few flaws but nothing that most of us couldn't live with. By far the best Milgauss rep that's been offered.

350S

Do not accept unsolicited offers
30/10/08
I am curious about the green tint in the sapphire: how did the replicator replicate this?

I have seen some pictures of Green Milgauss replicas where the trick seems to be a small milling around the circumference of the glass and a green plastic insert to counterfeit the green tint. Is this how this replica is "greened" as well?

One of the reasons why the gen is so collectible is that Rolex have had hard time manufacturing the green tinted glass - the other 116400 (non-V or GV) versions are not difficult to find in any Rolex store.

Why my interest?
I had 7 hours to spend before my plane left from Zürich airport in Sep 2006. In Zürich you find a watch dealer on every second corner and some of the hours vent by just window shopping. The Milgauss was announced during 2006 and I wrote my name on a list as "interested". This fall the local Rolex dealer calls and tells me that "my watch has arrived". You can imagine my confusion since I did not recall ordering anything lately and especially not a Rolex watch. Long story short: the Green Milgauss (which was the first to be announced) has since Sep 2006 become a collectors item and was trading at a much higher price in the second hand market than the RRP at $5.100 which I was offered. I could not resist and became a Milgauss owner without a plan. I don't have the stomach to wear it and it is now just stored in the box.

I probably will buy a replica if I can find a good one and use this instead of the gen. ... who is dealing this particular piece?

BR

PS!
116200 is the 'Datejust' product number and I think this will never be found on any gen Milgauss.

Mark that the gen Milgauss does not have any crown etched to the crystal at 6 o'clock.

Hambone

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/11/06
Nice review D4. I really do like this watch. I tried on the gen and you re right about the caseback, but the dial is pretty good.
Give me a PM. :lol:

seank

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06
Talk to me brother who' you get it from? I want one bad.

Sean

daytona4me

Chinese Shrimp Rider
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I dont know what I found online last night in my research but it was going back to the white dial Milgauss but it appears you are correct.

seank

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06
Hey Greg can you get me one of these? Please.

Sean K

350S

30/10/08
Soooh...

were can this replica be bought?

(and how did they do the 'greening' of the crystal?)

BR

350S

30/10/08
Thanks for the link about crystals R2D4!

I thought it was green snot until reading ...
... but honestly I believe OldeCrow is describing the most plausible method for the rep: a green gasket which colour is reflected in the crystal at the 45° deburr. On the gen the crystal itself is green and probably grown as described in the article - I think there was a section about Giant snot and how to breed the crystal from there.

Still no one who wants to reveal to me the source for this replica so I may order one for myself?

:shock: BR

PS!
No offence R2D4 :D

watchace

Renowned Member
4/1/07
350S,

Let me know when you're ready to unload that gen milgauss, very interested if its a modest markup.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
350S said:
Still no one who wants to reveal to me the source for this replica so I may order one for myself?

:shock: BR

PS!
No offence R2D4 :D

I would start with Ruby in the dealer section then Hont Watch and if you want to contact Daytona4me since he posted this, he might be able to consult you as well. No offence ever taken by me I am to dense for offence. :D I do believe they can tint a crystal, pink, green, red.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Also, note any of our dealers here would probably beat that price just in spite if they knew who you were thinking about buying from. wink, wink :wink:

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I've studied mine carefully and I do NOT believe they used a green ring at the base of the crystal to achieve the effect. It is too uniform at too many angles. I believe the crystal is actaully tinted and the color is magnified where the crystal is viewed at it's thickest - i.e. around the base.
Either way it's a very nice effect. Pics don't do it justice.

daytona4me

Chinese Shrimp Rider
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I've shot several pictures which clearly shows it is a green tint,, not just a green ring .. I've got it in my hands.. no smoke and mirrors.. they can tint it purple or brown if you want it,, the AR is not really hard.. look at the variety of AR tint available on eyeglasses..

anyway,, this is off to one of my very good friends here on RWI,, happy to have met him in person :)